Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Default Alberta Bison Hunts question?

Howdy Folks,

Just looking into Bison Hunting in Alberta. Nothing serious at this point, just gathering information. Anyway I am aware of the Special Licence Hunt in the Hay Zama Bison Management Area. Is this the only place in alberta where Bison can be hunted or are there other parts of the province with huntable seasons as well.

I know of some other areas south of Wood Buffalo where bison have escaped from the park and are now living at large completely in the wild so I was just curious.

The regs are clear with regards to which license you apply for and how you apply for it. However, the only area that I can find any information on an open season is Hay Zama.

Anyway if anyone is willing to share some additional knowledge this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM

We used to hunt them up in the caribou mountains, at that time it was legal to hunt them outside of the park, as long as they were east of highway 35. Not sure if it is still legal.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
We used to hunt them up in the caribou mountains, at that time it was legal to hunt them outside of the park, as long as they were east of highway 35. Not sure if it is still legal.
Still OK to hunt, but there is now a Wildland Provincial Park( 2001 ) that takes in the Caribou Mountain Area. No ATV/Snowmachines. Check out this forum, lots of information from last Feb.

Bruce, the makes me do it.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks for that, had a look through the other posts and gained some good info as well.

One thing that is not very clear though is handling of the animal once its on the ground. What I am getting at is related to potential for disease. I keep reading that these northern Wood Bison herds are known carriers of Tuberculosis and Bovin Burcellosis (not sure on spelling) Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows of the precautions the hunters must take during the gutting, skinning, butchering, and caping process.

Any information on this would be very helpfull.

Regards
Old 01-13-2010, 09:48 PM

I was drawn for the Hay/Zama bison hunt this year and fish and wildlife provides a bison education booklet. In there it talks about the diseases. It says when handling harvested bison wear plastic gloves, stay upwind, do not handle the uterus and fetus, wash your hands, knives and clothes in warm soapy water as soon as possible.

Have a read of these fish and wildlife fact sheets for more info:

http://srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversitySt...s/BovineTB.pdf

http://srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversitySt...rucellosis.pdf
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks, Much appreciated.

Regards
Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Default infected bison

I have taken many of those bison and to date I have never encountered an infected one. I try to take young ones because the big old bulls are just way to tough. i don’t think that the diseases are a prevalent as they were when the populations where much higher. I suspect now that the bison numbers are reduced the transition is minimal... I don’t worry too much about it.