Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
WOW -- CDN, it took you three days to think up THAT responce ?? I thought you were tired of this conversation. A good friend had a quote that fits here " not the sharpest knife in the drawer" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm guesing he got a little "guide"ance.

Overall, a great topic though and hopefully Cdn Buck makes some great friends in Alberta and gets to live his dream of hunting mule deer here. It's a great system that allows friends from other parts of the country/world to share days afield.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I'm guesing he got a little "guide"ance.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM

thanks guys for the info
Alberta wants to keep out the poor(trading hunts)
Ok for priveledged to bend the rules (make alittle money,further a career)
Old 01-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn buck View Post
thanks guys for the info
Oh for christsakes give it a rest already. Quit digging yourself deeper and deeper in the hole. You came here, made a small mistake in posting, people let you know, now you know, lets all move on. Seems you have met a few guys willing to give you a chance and that is great. But for petesake lets move on already.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn buck View Post
thanks guys for the info
Poor people can't afford to travel to other jurisdictions to hunt.

You know what would make a great study for some university student in communications or psychology? To determine how many pages an average bulletin board thread runs before it goes bad and the mud-slinging begins. It would probably vary somewhat by topic and board. I participate on a primarily upland hunting forum in the US that rarely goes feral. pages and pages of educated, good-humoured posts. Here, not so much, though the fishing pages are better than the hunting or general discussion IMHO.

I like to visit threads that are a page or two long for the information, and those 3 or over for the fights and drama.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

"I like to visit threads that are a page or two long for the information, and those 3 or over for the fights and drama. "

x2...

Good thing that all the fighting and bickering stopped a few months ago when certain individuals "left" the forum....
Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 PM

The hunter host program is still a wonderful program and I for one hope that because certain individuals and their "ethics" don't wreck it for those of us that enjoy it so much. You know how a couple rotten apples effect the barrel.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

I thinkwe should just get rid of the hunter host and all the outfitters in alberta.It would make for better hunting for us albertans and quit all of the crap outfitters do to landowners to make them not alow hunting.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM

The hunter host program is a great program; I would hate to lose it. My cousin from BC was able to come and bow hunt mule deer with me, and maybe someday I'll be able to go chase a goat or mountain caribou with him.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
I thinkwe should just get rid of the hunter host and all the outfitters in alberta.It would make for better hunting for us albertans and quit all of the crap outfitters do to landowners to make them not alow hunting.
Oh no...here we go!!!
Pretty sure your going to get hammered for that comment JustinC
Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
Oh no...here we go!!!
Pretty sure your going to get hammered for that comment JustinC
Good Luck!
You are probably right. I find it funny how we cant do anything and outfitters can charge$6000+ to do the same thing. I worked for an outfitter. I know they brake laws to get the client the big one. I said no I am not doing that and never looked back.I see all of the mega mule deer in SASK and wonder why dont we do the same as them and we would have better elk/muledeer for our residents.Take them on a moose or white tail hunt I dont care.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Gone Hunting

aarrrr, I missed being the 100th post. Gonna get me one like ol' Seahawk Fisher yet. The direction change is awesome. Get mad at em and let em have it JustinC!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
aarrrr, I missed being the 100th post. Gonna get me one like ol' Seahawk Fisher yet. The direction change is awesome. Get mad at em and let em have it JustinC!
I dont care i am just one voice.I am not mad.i think it is a joke
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Sheephunter. Your just on a power trip trying to impose your interpretations of law on someone. You are definetly not trying to help someone keep their butt out of a jamb.
These big game animals, sheep, goats, antelope and bears, what is done with their meat?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM

I've never used the hunter host program before but who knows? I might. I don't have a problem with it. As for outfitters... I dunno... Except for a few species the take by guided non-residents versus residents is pretty low... If you got rid of outfitters I'd miss that lasagna-eatin' ruffed grouse's column in AO.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
These big game animals, sheep, goats, antelope and bears, what is done with their meat?
Me thinks it gets eaten........well, maybe not the bear.

tm
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've never used the hunter host program before but who knows? I might. I don't have a problem with it. As for outfitters... I dunno... Except for a few species the take by guided non-residents versus residents is pretty low... If you got rid of outfitters I'd miss that lasagna-eatin' ruffed grouse's column in AO.
I dont either. Just for muledeer,elk and antelope.I have to wait min 6 year to shoot a antelope and 3 for a mule deer(rifle) ,and 9+years for a prarie elk.If we lower the number of people applying we would have a better opportunity right?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Me thinks it gets eaten........well, maybe not the bear.

tm
Alot is never eaten at all. I was told about all the deer that were tossed in the coulee.Year before I work for the guy so I could not do anything about it.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Sheephunter. Your just on a power trip trying to impose your interpretations of law on someone. You are definetly not trying to help someone keep their butt out of a jamb.
No not at all. A lot of out of province people aren't aware of the some of our laws and I was just trying to keep a fellow hunter out of a bind. It's far from my interpretation. I've discussed this subject with many Officers and I'm passing along their interpretation. Whatever the OP chooses to do with that info is certainly up to him...I'm not trying to impose anything. I'm sorry if it came across some other way but that was the only intention of my post. I truely hope the OP makes some friends here and can utilize the system.

I'm not sure what everyone else does with the meat but I know we eat it. I just finished a package of bear jerky as a matter of fact....mmmmmmm

I'm guessing you're not a hunter?

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-08-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I dont either. Just for muledeer,elk and antelope.I have to wait min 6 year to shoot a antelope and 3 for a mule deer(rifle) ,and 9+years for a prarie elk.If we lower the number of people applying we would have a better opportunity right?
Outfitters and Hunter Hosts are two very different things. If I'm not mistaken the outfitters have fixed tag allocations - which are not part of the draw and priority system. I'm not sure what the numbers are but I'd be very surprised if the number of hunter hosted hunters (not outfitter guided) have much impact on the draw stats.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:16 PM

I say ban everyone from huntin in Alberta unless ya were born here. And your father was born here and your grandpa was born here. Nuff critters for me that way.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Alot is never eaten at all. I was told about all the deer that were tossed in the coulee.Year before I work for the guy so I could not do anything about it.
Shoulda called the CO's, he'll do it again.....he's a criminal.

As far as the outfitter I work for, it costs him big $$'s to bring all the meat back. He does it very willingly and with a genuine smile. Meat is the property of the client. If they do not take it, it is taken by the guides or is delivered to community freezers where it is very welcome.

I would guess that 80% of the meat is donated to people that need it.

tm
Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Outfitters and Hunter Hosts are two very different things. If I'm not mistaken the outfitters have fixed tag allocations - which are not part of the draw and priority system. I'm not sure what the numbers are but I'd be very surprised if the number of hunter hosted hunters (not outfitter guided) have much impact on the draw stats.
Bet there is a lot more than you think. You take the population in the last 10 years how it has went up. So have the number of hunters from all over.So that means they bring there freinds.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Bet there is a lot more than you think. You take the population in the last 10 years how it has went up. So have the number of hunters from all over.So that means they bring there freinds.
Wow that simple eh. With the population boom in the last 10 years I'm sure there must be tens if not hundreds of thousands of people flocking to be hunter hosted then. I don't have the facts to back this up so it is merely my opinion, but I'd venture a guess that the number of people hunting via the outfitting industry is a heck of a lot higher than the people coming here to hunt via the hunter host program.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I would have to agree with Duk that the number of hunter hosts is very small...

I have done a hunter host with buddies from Wyoming and plan to do 2 more in the near future with friends from the Yukon and Colorado..

I really like this program and the best thing about it is you dont have to break the bank to hunt other places of the world
Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow that simple eh. With the population boom in the last 10 years I'm sure there must be tens if not hundreds of thousands of people flocking to be hunter hosted then. I don't have the facts to back this up so it is merely my opinion, but I'd venture a guess that the number of people hunting via the outfitting industry is a heck of a lot higher than the people coming here to hunt via the hunter host program.
yes it is that simple. People that hunt move here cause of work. So they have freinds back home that hunt.They come out to hunt with each other. We also have animals that they never hunt so that is a big atractent for them to come here.I also know quite a few people from ontario and all of there freinds come out here to hunt mules and antelope. I will check with fish and wildlife and see if I can find out the # of non residents applying for drawsin Alberta.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
yes it is that simple. People that hunt move here cause of work. So they have freinds back home that hunt.They come out to hunt with each other. We also have animals that they never hunt so that is a big atractent for them to come here.I also know quite a few people from ontario and all of there freinds come out here to hunt mules and antelope. I will check with fish and wildlife and see if I can find out the # of non residents applying for drawsin Alberta.
I'd be interested to hear what you find out for numbers - "hunter host"ed hunters vs outfitted hunters.

Again I'll disagree with you on people flocking here to be hunter hosted, not outfitted. I know my fair share of people from Ontario that hunt and they wouldn't spend the money nor the time to travel here to hunt regardless of the different opportunities. I don't believe there are as many people that hunt in this current generation and that would include the ones flocking here to work. Also there is a pretty big international influence of people moving to Alberta - many of which hunting is not a part of their culture.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear what you find out for numbers - "hunter host"ed hunters vs outfitted hunters.

Again I'll disagree with you on people flocking here to be hunter hosted, not outfitted. I know my fair share of people from Ontario that hunt and they wouldn't spend the money nor the time to travel here to hunt regardless of the different opportunities. I don't believe there are as many people that hunt in this current generation and that would include the ones flocking here to work. Also there is a pretty big international influence of people moving to Alberta - many of which hunting is not a part of their culture.
That is fine you disagree with me.I will not say anything more on this for now.I will try to get all of the numbers for everybody so we can see what the real deal is.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

This post has turned into a ***** show. Talk about splitting hairs and over analyzing. All the guy asked for was to trade a hunt and perhaps make a new friend or two. Who the hell and how the hell is anyone going to charge him with anything? No wonder the anti-gun and anti-hunting crowd is slowly taking over. What a bunch of hypocrites!
Closed Thread