Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn buck View Post
I am not trying to argue, i am just trying to have a discussion.
And honestly i was surprised how wonderful most people have been on this site.
But i have definitely gotten the impression that some people just don't want anyone other then very rich Americans to hunt in Alberta, who inturn in order to run their business lease up all the good hunting land, and stop even the local guys from hunting.
I'm not against all outfitting, but let an ordinary guy hunt.
I agree...I've used the Hunter Host system several times. BTW, leasing land for hunting is illegal here! I doubt you'll find much outfitter support on this board...lol

I think you are reading way too much into some of the helpful comments you were offered. Sometimes it's what's between the lines that matters........

Here's a pic from one of my recent Hunter Host trips...

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-04-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troller View Post
Do you write stuff like that and submit it to AO?
lol...I may have....
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
CDN...once again your ignorance of the Alberta system is alarming. Outfitters do indeed own tags here and can sell them, for whatever value the market will bear. Also, we don't have Natural Resources here...we have a Sustainable Resource Development department.

CDN, you came on here with the best of intentions I'm sure but you obviously have little understanding of the Alberta Wildlife Act. Lots of guys have offered advice on better understanding it and working with in it. You stepped on your (male part) with your first post...it happens. Learn from it. Continuing to stomp on it isn't doing you much good......other than bringing attention to yourself from Fish and Wildlife.
It sure seems like your mad, not just trying to help me out.
Anyway in manitoba those are the laws, I guess alberta could be different but i will check into it.
In manitoba an outfitter has an allocation , which is owned by the gov, he has the right to use it and sell his business. But at all times he is not allowed to put a value on the tags seperatly.
You might be right on this, just thought all provinces were similar.

No need to get angry, just trying to learn.

And why would resources be interested in this. I have already mentioned several times that i will call resources and make sure i am not doing anything wrong. And yes i MIGHT BE ALITTLE IGNORANT but ithought thats what discussion is for, learning, and helping.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not against all outfitting, but let an ordinary guy hunt.
Maybe we should let all the ordinary guys from out of province that want to hunt Alberta come here and shoot all our game!!!!!!!!!! Its one thing for family and friends to hunt together to spend time in the outdoors with each other but to just use the hunter host to just kill something isnt right.
JMO SG
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
It sure seems like your mad, not just trying to help me out.
Anyway in manitoba those are the laws, I guess alberta could be different but i will check into it.
In manitoba an outfitter has an allocation , which is owned by the gov, he has the right to use it and sell his business. But at all times he is not allowed to put a value on the tags seperatly.
You might be right on this, just thought all provinces were similar.

No need to get angry, just trying to learn.

And why would resources be interested in this. I have already mentioned several times that i will call resources and make sure i am not doing anything wrong. And yes i MIGHT BE ALITTLE IGNORANT but ithought thats what discussion is for, learning, and helping.

LOL...not angry at all...maybe just a bit frustrated that so many guys are trying to help you and you aren't seeing it. Like I said, there's a lot between the lines.

There is actually very little similarity between provinces in regards to outtitting. In Alberta, each tag/allocation must be bought individually by the outfitter. Those can also be sold or leased to other outfitters individually. How did this turn into a discussion about outfitters anyhow?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM

CDN - you still have not addressed the issue of a non-resident ( you ) wanting and offering to take an obliging Alberta resident to Saskatchewan to guide them on an exchange hunt. And CDN in Saskatchewan, as I belive in Alberta, a person cannot pay a land owner for hunting rights or access. It's illegal as is nonresident guiding. There was just a case where a Quebec resident was fined a large amount and equipment siezed for illegally guiding his " friends " in Saskatchewan. Take the advise as that- advise and stop trying to get around your original post add for an exchange.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Maybe we should let all the ordinary guys from out of province that want to hunt Alberta come here and shoot all our game!!!!!!!!!! Its one thing for family and friends to hunt together to spend time in the outdoors with each other but to just use the hunter host to just kill something isnt right.
JMO SG
i dont want to shoot all your game, i heard it would take me up to five years to draw some tags. Hunter hosts are only allowed to take a couple people a year isn't that right.
Anyway i don't want to shoot all your game, i love game management, i only want to hunt in away that is above all legal!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 AM

I think we have exhausted this topic, at least im tired of it.
In conclusion i will not trade a hunt. Sorry, to the ones that wanted to, but after I talk to Conservation officers, and everything is OK, I will accept the offer from one guy to hunt at his house without any trade.
If in fact we like each others company i would be honoured if he would let me return the favour at some point.
Thanks for all the advise
Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Would that be a hunt in Manitoba or Saskatchewan ????
Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I agree...I've used the Hunter Host system several times. BTW, leasing land for hunting is illegal here! I doubt you'll find much outfitter support on this board...lol

I think you are reading way too much into some of the helpful comments you were offered. Sometimes it's what's between the lines that matters........

Here's a pic from one of my recent Hunter Host trips...

Wow, lucky guy. I'm a resident but you want to host me?

I like the hunter host program as it will allow my brothers to come up and hunt here with me without having to pay for a guide. Along with that I can go down to where they are in the states and buy the tags over the counter, it's just very expensive.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM

I just said" this landowner doesnt want any compensation" and therefor im not trading a hunt, i am only saying that one day i would like to do something nice for him.
As for sask, i have taken friends from manitoba hunting there before, last year i went by myself, this year i might take my twelve year old son, nothing illegal about that.
I will not do anything that is illegal, im sorry i posted "TRADE".
Does talking on a chat line remove me from legal hunting. I dont know all laws from all provinces, but i think discussing them and trying to learn all them on this site is helping. I will obey all laws and any that i miss understood i am sorry. I will continue to research.
Thanks for your help
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

this is a great place to learn about stuff and if it clears up any legality issues thats even better. And I beleive the legal issues is what most guys were trying to point out and help with here.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
Wow, lucky guy. I'm a resident but you want to host me?

I like the hunter host program as it will allow my brothers to come up and hunt here with me without having to pay for a guide. Along with that I can go down to where they are in the states and buy the tags over the counter, it's just very expensive.
Is this site Eharmony for hunters?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Default illegal or not?

Quote:
You are 100% correct CDN and they are licenced to do so. Our hunter host regulation goes far beyond specifying compensation, however......................

"A Hunter Host may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept a fee for services, directly or indirectly."

There's no getting around the fact that offering a straight hunt trade is "gain or reward"

Make some friends here and go hunting with them and then that friend comes hunting with you one day without it being part of an arragement advertised on a messageboard, then you are using the hunter host program as intended.

Some guys may disagree with this law and some make valid arguements but it doesn't change the fact that it's the law!
Just curious the times that you used the hunter host program , did you ever write an article, video, or hunt with that non-resident in his state or province.
From what your saying it seems like you directly received a benifit. Isn't this how you make a living?
I'm just trying to clarify?
Not trying to make you mad, but tell me how thats right , and swapping or trading hunts is absolutely illegal.
And honestly i think hunting with someone is one of the best ways to make friends.
I usually hunt allone and was hoping to find a new hunting partner, seemed innocent to me.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Just curious the times that you used the hunter host program , did you ever write an article, video, or hunt with that non-resident in his state or province.
From what your saying it seems like you directly received a benifit. Isn't this how you make a living?
I'm just trying to clarify?
Not trying to make you mad, but tell me how thats right , and swapping or trading hunts is absolutely illegal.
And honestly i think hunting with someone is one of the best ways to make friends.
I usually hunt allone and was hoping to find a new hunting partner, seemed innocent to me.
I'm really sorry that I tried to pass along some information to you that might have helped you stay out of a bind....yikes! Do whatever you like....I could honestly care less. I was just trying to help a fellow hunter stay out of trouble. Sorry to have wasted your time
Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 PM

don't be sorry, i appreciate your help, just wondering why its different for me, then it is for you
Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
don't be sorry, i appreciate your help, just wondering why its different for me, then it is for you
Not sure what you mean....I've never advertised a straight trade for hunts on a public messageboard with "anybody". I'm sure the rules can be interpreted any way you want them to and I have no interest in defending what I've done or haven't done so get off it. I just tried to offer some helpful info....take it for what it was.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean....I've never advertised a straight trade for hunts on a public messageboard with "anybody". I'm sure the rules can be interpreted any way you want them to and I have no interest in defending what I've done or haven't done so get off it. I just tried to offer some helpful info....take it for what it was.
I just thought the point of all this was it is illegal to benefit either directly or indirectly, thats all. Wasnt saying anything else.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
He does have a point TJ! You made him explain his actions. If you didnt write anything or do anything he stated then why not just say so?
SG
Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
He does have a point TJ! You made him explain his actions. If you didnt write anything or do anything he stated then why not just say so?
SG
LOL...I never made or even asked him to explain anything....

You sure are big at putting words in my mouth. As I've stated before, once that tactic starts, the conversation has pretty well run its course. I'm thinking this one has reached that point. I was just trying to prevent a new out of province poster from finding himself in a bind as were several other posters on this thread. He obviously wasn't aware of all the laws in Alberta and now he is. How he chooses to interpret those laws is up to him. He got lots of great advice on how to use the system legally...I'm sure he'll follow that advice......
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL...I never made or even asked him to explain anything....

You sure are big at putting words in my mouth. As I've stated before, once that tactic starts, the conversation has pretty well run its course. I'm thinking this one has reached that point. I was just trying to prevent a new out of province poster from finding himself in a bind as were several other posters on this thread. He obviously wasn't aware of all the laws in Alberta and now he is. How he chooses to interpret those laws is up to him. He got lots of great advice on how to use the system legally...I'm sure he'll follow that advice......
sorry didnt mean to put words in your mouth but he did have a legitimate post that you dont seem to wanna reply to. Everyone jumped on him about the subject of gain or reward and he simply asked you about your hunter host endevours. Just thought that if you did it legally unlike "parks canada" then you would have answered!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
sheephunter

No I've never been hosted by anyone I've hunter hosted although I don't see anything wrong with it if there was no offer or expectation of it (ie trade) From my conversations with F&W, neither do they. Where they've told me they see a problem is with people advertising that they will trade hunts. At least that's what was passed along to me by the officers I've spoken with.

As for articles I've written, I guess you should get a suscription to Alberta Outdoorsmen. It's really a good magazine....
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
No I've never been hosted by anyone I've hunter hosted although I don't see anything wrong with it if there was no offer or expectation of it (ie trade) From my conversations with F&W, neither do they. Where they've told me they see a problem is with people advertising that they will trade hunts. At least that's what was passed along to me by the officers I've spoken with.

As for articles I've written, I guess you should get a suscription to Alberta Outdoorsmen. It's really a good magazine....
I do read it TJ and seems to me I read about that hunter hosted Ram you guys got did I not?

And its for gain or reward. Not offering or expecting. The law is the law right.
SG
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I do read it TJ and seems to me I read about that hunter hosted Ram you guys got did I not?
SG
I have no idea what you did or didn't read Darcy. I'm not about to words in your mouth...
Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have no idea what you did or didn't read Darcy. I'm not about to words in your mouth...
LOL you sure are avoiding the question on if you wrote the article!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM

Sweet mother of....

Don't you two ever get tired of busting each others balls??
Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
Sweet mother of....

Don't you two ever get tired of busting each others balls??
Nope not when he tells me in another thread about the law is the law. If he wants to tell some one about the laws then he should be ready to back his own actions!
SG
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Nope not when he tells me in another thread about the law is the law. If he wants to tell some one about the laws then he should be ready to back his own actions!
SG
Darcy, I haven't got a clue what you are talking about.....but if it will help bring this thread to an end, yes I did write a story which you obviously are well aware of. Now hopefully that puts an end to that....ugh.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Darcy, I haven't got a clue what you are talking about.....but if it will help bring this thread to an end, yes I did write a story which you obviously are well aware of. Now hopefully that puts an end to that....ugh.
Thanks I rest my case.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:03 PM

WOW -- CDN, it took you three days to think up THAT responce ?? I thought you were tired of this conversation. A good friend had a quote that fits here " not the sharpest knife in the drawer" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread