Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Default anybody interested in being a hunter host

I am a very serious whitetail hunter from manitoba, wondering if anybody out there would be willing to host me on a mule deer hunt. I could trade you a saskatchewan or manitoba whitetail hunt or be your slave in exchange. Open to ideas?
Dreaming about those big mulies.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Gone Hunting

What big mules? What do you call big? Real big mules are gettin to be a tough critter to find in the more famous areas of the province. Might just be afew around in other areas though...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Default anybody interested in being a hunter host

Good afternoon CDN buck. are you looking at hunting with rifle of Bow? I hosted to guys last year 1 from QUE and 1 from ONT. The places that i like to go are on draw for Rifle but general for bow. Let me know

Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Not wanting to rain on too many parades, but perhaps a good look at the rules surrounding the Hunter Host progam should be undertaken.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:16 PM

X2 on Reading the Regs on this Opportunity. Although it may seem harmless to "trade" a hunt like the one in question, it is illegal, as one may not accept any "benefit" directly or indirectly for being a hunter host.

Heres the link directly from the Online 2009 Regs

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Old 01-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks TIMWOLF, it's about time we had this hunter host problem in check. You need to know the regs and understand them. What you are wanting to "trade" for is illegal. Be careful!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:43 PM

I've enjoyed using the hunter host system a couple of times for what it's intended for - enabling family & friends to hunt together. No reward - no 'swap' - no 'tit-for-tat'.

Please don't abuse it and cause the program to be cancelled!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I've enjoyed using the hunter host system a couple of times for what it's intended for - enabling family & friends to hunt together. No reward - no 'swap' - no 'tit-for-tat'.

Please don't abuse it and cause the program to be cancelled!
Well said!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 AM

Here this thread is coming around again. I started years ago Hunter hosting and I joined them on permit to accompany on hunts in BC as well years later.
There were a few saying Nooo cant be done its illegal. Ya right . Some G.O's were put out it was happening and might have one less paying customer.

In my income I will never afford to go on a catered guided hunt so I have to hunt within my means in the great outdoors we all enjoy. Why should the wealthy be the only ones to Harvest The Big Game animals that some of us dream of Hunting someday.
There is no gain or reward I have ever accepted as the regs say,Just new found friends.

Good luck CDN Buck on your future hunts. I will continue enjoying mine I know that !
Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Well said Springer! One day i would love to hunt afew species Alberta cant offer, like for instance a mountain goat. I would enjoy it alot more without all the "grease". Not that all outfitters are greasy, just most of them... I just dont need it. If I did hunt with an outfitter in the future somewhere else, all those people would be required to do would be to stay behind me, shut up, and keep me legal. With a friend, be it a new friend or old friend, its all different. Not done for money, done to enjoy the outdoors and hunt like theres no tomorrow.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 01-03-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMWOLF View Post
X2 on Reading the Regs on this Opportunity. Although it may seem harmless to "trade" a hunt like the one in question, it is illegal, as one may not accept any "benefit" directly or indirectly for being a hunter host.

Heres the link directly from the Online 2009 Regs

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
That just takes you to the main page. Here is what it says

"Hunter Host - an adult resident who is the holder of a valid Hunter Host Licence. To obtain this licence, the adult must hold a valid WiN and be eligible to hold recreational hunting licences. A Hunter Host may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept a fee for services, directly or indirectly.
The licence authorizes the holder (usually a relative or friend of the hunters to be hosted) to host a maximum of two non-residents (Canadian) or non-resident aliens* named on the host's licence to hunt wolf, coyote and big game throughout the province."

I'm going to take a pass on this biyearly argument this time .
Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Here this thread is coming around again. I started years ago Hunter hosting and I joined them on permit to accompany on hunts in BC as well years later.
There were a few saying Nooo cant be done its illegal. Ya right . Some G.O's were put out it was happening and might have one less paying customer.

In my income I will never afford to go on a catered guided hunt so I have to hunt within my means in the great outdoors we all enjoy. Why should the wealthy be the only ones to Harvest The Big Game animals that some of us dream of Hunting someday.
There is no gain or reward I have ever accepted as the regs say,Just new found friends.

Good luck CDN Buck on your future hunts. I will continue enjoying mine I know that !
Thanks springer that was well put, heaven forbid a guy takes another guy on a hunt and they become friends, and hunt with each other in each others province....Theres lots of rules/regs doesnt mean we all agree with them!!! Not saying im gonna break them, i host family every once and awhile from down east and it is a great time and experience.....who says we cant enjoy that with friends in each others home? i guess cdn buck just worded it wrong........not all of us can do big fancy guided hunts all the time!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
well said springer! One day i would love to hunt afew species alberta cant offer, like for instance a mountain goat. I would enjoy it alot more without all the "grease". Not that all outfitters are greasy, just most of them... I just dont need it. If i did hunt with an outfitter in the future somewhere else, all those people would be required to do would be to stay behind me, shut up, and keep me legal. With a friend, be it a new friend or old friend, its all different. Not done for money, done to enjoy the outdoors and hunt like theres no tomorrow.
xxxx2
Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Dont mean to sound greedy, but it might be a hard sell trying to get someone you dont know host you for a mule deer here, especially if it was a draw area where resident may have to wait up to 5 yrs to get a draw themselves. I guess there are those general tag areas up north you may get on. bUt for the most part the bigguys are gonna be found in the draw areas. there is a reaon these areas produce, THE DRAW.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 AM

I really enjoy the hunter host program. Four years ago we took some fellows from Denmark out[one of them had bought a farm on the border Alta/Sask] and they were a blast to hunt with. My daughter went on a 4 week bus tour of Europe and then spent a week in Denmark. She stayed with these fellows and their family's, saying it was by far the best part of her trip.
This past season we took a couple fellows from Iceland after whitetails and coyotes and I haven't enjoyed hunting much more than I did this year. I'll be heading to Iceland in July to see what their country looks like and I certainly think this is within the legalities of the plan.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar bait View Post
Thanks TIMWOLF, it's about time we had this hunter host problem in check. You need to know the regs and understand them. What you are wanting to "trade" for is illegal. Be careful!
I usually stay out of this one, but this is getting old. Please show me case law or legal precident that it's illegal.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Dont mean to sound greedy, but it might be a hard sell trying to get someone you dont know host you for a mule deer here, especially if it was a draw area where resident may have to wait up to 5 yrs to get a draw themselves. I guess there are those general tag areas up north you may get on. bUt for the most part the bigguys are gonna be found in the draw areas. there is a reaon these areas produce, THE DRAW.
Canadian non-residents can apply for these draws too.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
I really enjoy the hunter host program. Four years ago we took some fellows from Denmark out[one of them had bought a farm on the border Alta/Sask] and they were a blast to hunt with. My daughter went on a 4 week bus tour of Europe and then spent a week in Denmark. She stayed with these fellows and their family's, saying it was by far the best part of her trip.
This past season we took a couple fellows from Iceland after whitetails and coyotes and I haven't enjoyed hunting much more than I did this year. I'll be heading to Iceland in July to see what their country looks like and I certainly think this is within the legalities of the plan.
Well pit you are a criminal, your family (daughter) benifitted from this exchange, you should be locked up!!! Gimme a break, sorry for trying to be a nice guy to cdn buck and looking to meet friends! I dont see how this is any different than someone going on a big fancy guided hunt for deer in sask., minus the 5000$us fee which all of us do not have! Like springer said if....IF i had the cash to do these trips which i do not, i would ask the outfitter to let me do the hunt, doesnt say much for a hunter when the outfitter sits him at a spot and says..."Yes thats a good deer, take him"....sorry ill save my 5000$ and just enjoy this with friends....sorry i may be a criminal!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell View Post
your family (daughter) benifitted from this exchange,
Oh yeah she benefited from the exchange for sure. She has friends in Denmark{one of the fellows daughters that took her to Copenhagen for a couple days} that have since came here to learn some of Canada. I think the exchange of money thing is right on but fail to see how we cannot possibly benefit from meeting and enjoying times with other people. If hunting is involved so be it.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:17 PM

Default thank you

wow, what a topic!
I don't know all the alberta rules as i am not from there. I definitely dont want to do anything illegal nor do I want put anyone else in that position. I will check regulations and call natural resources to find out ex what are the rules.
I do believe that hunting should not only be for the rich.

I cannot believe that there is no where in canada that i can hunt mule deer without a guide. Its not right, i dont have $7000 for a hunt either.
I was hoping to find someone nice, to share in a couple hunting adventures did not think that was a bad thing.

thank you for all your thoughts and ideas
canadian buck
Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Hugin&munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn buck View Post
I am a very serious whitetail hunter from manitoba, wondering if anybody out there would be willing to host me on a mule deer hunt. I could trade you a saskatchewan or manitoba whitetail hunt or be your slave in exchange. Open to ideas?
Dreaming about those big mulies.
I didn't honestly even see a nice mule deer this year, but as far as the host program is concerned I think this is another part of the regs that should be clarified a little better. I just can't imagine that forming a friendship with a fellow Canadian hunter could be breaking the law and on that note if it is breaking the law then the program is pointless in my books(just my opinion!!). So I guess with that said CDN BUCK just send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info and we can chat. I have no real interest in hunting elsewhere and we will leave the word "TRADE" out of it and just go hunting. I want absolutely nothing in return or gain whether it be indirectly or directly!!!!!!. The best looking mule deer I saw this year was in area that it would be better to bow hunt (draws) but I did see one in area that is open for rifle but it wasn't that big, I doubt it would've of been a shooter for you. I hope I worded this in a way that won't **** a bunch of people off and keep us out of jail and as far as forming friendships from the experience I guess we will have to treat eachother like a**holes and that should cover that too. I hope this post helps you and good luck on your future hunts!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Default bad mouths

do not worry cdn buck, these guys are just uptight, you can legally get around all of this. Me taking you....my friend on a mule deer hunt is perfectly legal we are good friends!!! and i hunt sask with permission every year anyway!!!! i do not see how this is any different than TJ and Vanessa Hunting sask in the rut on TV, except i dont pay 5000$..........sorry im not wealthy and cant afford to be guided to my trophys!!!!!!!! I take my trophys on public land!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:09 PM

If the law is to be interpreted as some are saying here, i would be truly suprised if anybody at all has ever used the program to the letter of the law.

If you read it to the letter, these people are not even aloud to chip in on groceries or gas money, and i doubt too many guys have let that happen.

I can understand the theory behind the law, but it needs a clearer definition in order to be properly enforced.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Gone Hunting

I have no doubts about them being able to properly enforce it Swifty. Like you said though, the problems more than likely are with compliance. Im hoping to find out one day how problematic this system is. Anyone out there know where a Joe boy can kill a mountain goat. Just kiddin.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
i do not see how this is any different than TJ and Vanessa Hunting sask in the rut on TV,
What were they hunting?Canadian residents don't require an outfitter or a hunter host to hunt whitetails in Saskatchewan.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Default Tepisode

well im sorry elkhunter you missed the episode when TJ and Vanessa Hunted Sask. They made it fairly clear they were hunting with an outfitter over baited sites..........they can advertise on national TV all of this, but a couple buddies cant hunt mule deer together????????? hahaha im not rich and i never will be!!! sorry i cant afford your super grand slam hunts!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Nothing illegal about that in the flat province....
Old 01-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
If you read it to the letter, these people are not even aloud to chip in on groceries or gas money, and i doubt too many guys have let that happen.
I paid for all the gas[We walked out of the house quite a bit and just hunted close to my home. As for grocery's the guys never saw the inside of a restaurant in Canada as they ate from my table only[didn't seem to bother them any as they even helped milk the cow for something fresh to drink].
Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
They made it fairly clear they were hunting with an outfitter over baited sites....
My point is that in Saskatchewan,a Canadian resident can legally hunt whitetails without a hunter host or an outfitter.They chose to go with an outfitter,but they weren't required to, in order to hunt whitetails according to the Saskatchewan regulations.

Quote:
they can advertise on national TV all of this, but a couple buddies cant hunt mule deer together????????
So you don't think that the Alberta system is fair?Try arranging an unguided mule deer or elk hunt in Saskatchewan,without going to a hunting preserve or a reserve.

Personally,I think that Alberta should only allow nonresidents to hunt species that their home province allows Albertans to hunt in that province.If I can't hunt mule deer or elk in Saskatchewan,why should Saskatchewan residents be allowed to hunt mule deer or elk in Alberta?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Likely the rule / law of hunter host is worded the best it can be.
CDN, there are some general zones for Mule Buck, but the draws in popular zones are getting 3 - 4 years priority. Canadians are elligable for these too.
You should maybe start applying for these draws. An AB resident WIN # will be needed though. Maybe your new AB friends will apply with / for you.

TBark
Closed Thread