Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Default Grouse habits

Hey all,
I got four ruffies early in the season in the Ghost/Waiperous area, and things were looking good, but the last three times I went out I beat the bush for hours and hours and didn't see a thing (in what seemed like good ruffed grouse territory - little gullies with a good mix of aspen and spruce trees). Do the grouse change their habitat at this point in the season (looking for different food, etc), or is it just a bad year?

Thanks,
Luc
Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 PM

It's a bad year. But not as bad as last year. I got 12 birds in 2 days at the beginning of this season but only SAW two birds last year in 4 days of hunting. The spring 2 years ago was unseasonably cold and wet in the mountains and the hatch took a real beating. It will take a few more years to really recover.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-25-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucB View Post
Hey all,
I got four ruffies early in the season in the Ghost/Waiperous area, and things were looking good, but the last three times I went out I beat the bush for hours and hours and didn't see a thing (in what seemed like good ruffed grouse territory - little gullies with a good mix of aspen and spruce trees). Do the grouse change their habitat at this point in the season (looking for different food, etc), or is it just a bad year?

Thanks,
Luc
i was in that area yesterday, tons of them walking the bush
Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 PM

Default Am seeing some

I've been in that area and would usually see 2 or 3 a morning in the bush, always in fairly heavy coniferous areas, fyi. Seem to be more groups now too. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

The way I understand it, as explained to me by a biologist many years ago, (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) is that grouse populations are able to withstand most everything, predator levels, weather, hunting pressure but a wet cold June spells disaster. The new chicks cannot withstand being cold and wet for any period of time.
Grouse populations around here (eastern 346) have been low for quite some time now.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It's a bad year. But not as bad as last year. I got 12 birds in 2 days at the beginning of this season but only SAW two birds last year in 4 days of hunting. The spring 2 years ago was unseasonably cold and wet in the mountains and the hatch took a real beating. It will take a few more years to really recover.
I think someone who kills twelve grouse in two days can reliably expect to be complaining the following season. I hope he never finds my favorite covert.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
I think someone who kills twelve grouse in two days can reliably expect to be complaining the following season. I hope he never finds my favorite covert.
even better, I hope to find HIS favorite covert
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 AM

Roughed Grouse re where you find them , and they follow a fairly even cycle.
Two years ago we had some very good shooting in one area, and last year only saw maybe one or two in that area every time we hunted it.
Another spot about 50 miles away did not prove as reliable 3 years ago.
last year when my son and his buddies hunted it, they all limited the first day they hunted it - that's 30 birds.
They either missed or did not get shots at many more than that.
he hunted that particular area 4 times this year and each time had great success.

Next year I am going to check the first area again, just to see if they have come back yet.

Another spot that was so-so last year will likely be very good this year.

If you are not seeing partridge in a particular area, move about 50 miles and see what happens - you may just fid what you are looking for!
We didn't shoot a single Spruce grouse in three years, either - they are all rufies!
BTW, a dog makes a big difference as well.....
Cat