Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
?????
Quote:
He wounded and lost one bear and the one he got was hit multiple times. He said expansion appeared to be minimal.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM

I've changed my mind. I'm hunting Moose with North Forks on Friday.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've changed my mind. I'm hunting Moose with North Forks on Friday.
Be sure to post the results of the hunt, or at least PM the results.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM

I've got all November so I won't get too crazy right off the bat.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
lol......Sounds like he needs to practice shooting.
Sounds to me like his hunt should have been over with the wounding of the first bear.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovis40 View Post
Sounds to me like his hunt should have been over with the wounding of the first bear.
???????
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Just have a look at this 150 GR TTSX performance I would expect GMX to do the same

http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I tend to .... It's good to pass along info that has basis in fact...other tales, not so much. I thought you'd know better.
The rest of us just aren't as smart as you, I guess. It's good of you to point that out every chance you get...2-3x
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
The rest of us just aren't as smart as you, I guess. It's good of you to point that out every chance you get...2-3x
Sometimes the BS on here just gets tiring.....

I'm really not very smrt....I've just had the good fortune to see and lot of critters go down to mono metals. Some things just are the way they are.....no smarts required
Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
....I've just had the good fortune to see and lot of critters go down to mono metals. Some things just are the way they are.....
There's no need for rudeness.

Your experience is worth hearing. At the same time, some of us have seen a lot of critters go down, too, and the fact that you can afford to travel to distant places to be led to a spot where you can shoot something in front of you does add to your bank of experience, but it does not make you all-knowing.

Your mono metal preference seems to be dictated by a fear of eating lead. Since almost none of us eat bears, what's your issue with Leeper's comments?

I've only shot 6-8 bears. You've probably shot a lot more. Still, 2 of the 3 animals I ever lost were spring bears and were shot with "penetrating" bullets. The last bear I shot was with my 7 Mag and 160gr. Sierra Game Kings. He was laying down when I shot him and he never got up.

It is instructive to hear more than one viewpoint and I, for one, appreciate Leeper's knowledge, style and manners. Better than mine, anyway.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
There's no need for rudeness.

Your experience is worth hearing. At the same time, some of us have seen a lot of critters go down, too, and the fact that you can afford to travel to distant places to be led to a spot where you can shoot something in front of you does add to your bank of experience, but it does not make you all-knowing.

Your mono metal preference seems to be dictated by a fear of eating lead. Since almost none of us eat bears, what's your issue with Leeper's comments?

I've only shot 6-8 bears. You've probably shot a lot more. Still, 2 of the 3 animals I ever lost were spring bears and were shot with "penetrating" bullets. The last bear I shot was with my 7 Mag and 160gr. Sierra Game Kings. He was laying down when I shot him and he never got up.

It is instructive to hear more than one viewpoint and I, for one, appreciate Leeper's knowledge, style and manners. Better than mine, anyway.
Perhaps you should have looked in the mirror when you wrote that first statement...I was in no way being rude...more than I can say for your previous post.

No where have I said mono metals were better than lead and no where have I said anyone should use them. I said they expand and they do. A comment to the contrary based on second hand info was made here and I was just pointing out that it wasn't true. That was my issue with Bill's comments as I stated from the beginning. Perhaps if you stopped reading what you wished I said and read what I actually said we could avoid these embarassing confrontations. I too appreciate Bill's knowledge, style and manners. That's why I was surprised when he passed along a second hand story of bullet failure that obviously wasn't the case.

Didn't we just go through this in another thread a few weeks ago? I ask again, please do me the courtesy of reading what I write and not putting words in my mouth and we can avoid this unpleasantness in the future.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Sheephunter, do you agree or disagree that Barnes had some expansion issues with the original "X" bullet?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Sheephunter, do you agree or disagree that Barnes had some expansion issues with the original "X" bullet?
Does anyone read anymore....

Maybe try post 24 above.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I tend to belive what I've actually experienced and witnessed. If I passed along every tale of equipment failure that was do to human inadequacy...well let's just say AO would need another server. It's good to pass along info that has basis in fact...other tales, not so much. I thought you'd know better.
Leeper passed on what he believes to be good information from what he deemed a reliable source. He has been around enough to know IMO.

Why would someone lie about wounding an animal and poor bullet performance. BTW he is not alone in his opinion of "high performance bullets". My son put one through the lungs of a WT buck and it did more damage to the tree behind the deer than to the deer itself. 150 yards tracking on something that should have been DRT.

If you have information from someone you deem reliable I would sure like to hear it, especially if I plan on using that product.

I have always been a fan of yours but not so much after this thread. Not sure if Hornady is one of your sponsors but you certainly aren't doing them any favours treating a respected member of the community in this manner.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Leeper passed on what he believes to be good information from what he deemed a reliable source. He has been around enough to know IMO.

Why would someone lie about wounding an animal and poor bullet performance. BTW he is not alone in his opinion of "high performance bullets". My son put one through the lungs of a WT buck and it did more damage to the tree behind the deer than to the deer itself. 150 yards tracking on something that should have been DRT.

If you have information from someone you deem reliable I would sure like to hear it, especially if I plan on using that product.

I have always been a fan of yours but not so much after this thread. Not sure if Hornady is one of your sponsors but you certainly aren't doing them any favours treating a respected member of the community in this manner.
I was speaking about mono metal bullets in general...no particular brand. It's unfortunate but as I posted earlier, the original X bullet did have expansion problems and that stigma has followed mono metal bullets since then, despite it being the furthest thing from the truth. There is countless evidence to support the fact that mono metals exapand...a lot. It's one of those rumours that needs to be put to rest for no other reason than it's not true. Spreading second hand info like that serves no purpose other than to further a myth and confuse the fine folks on this board who may not have experience with them.

Perhaps I came across a little harsh with Bill and for that I apologize. It just surprised me coming from someone like him with his vast knowledge. And in his defence he did admit to still being old school. No need to read more into it than that.

Last edited by sheephunter; 10-25-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Does anyone read anymore....

Maybe try post 24 above.
Yikes, wow sorry I asked.

Quote:
...They haven't made X bullets for years. They were plagued with some expansion problems for sure but they are many generations removed from the mono metals of today.
I only asked because as mentioned it took them some time to solve their issues. As far as I know this is the first mono offered from Hornady... for some to worry that they may experience similar issues at the beginning isnt a sin. (At least not in my eyes) Especially when lives of animals is at stake.

I would have loved to hear what you told the skeptics when the original X was introduced.... lol
Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I only asked because as mentioned it took them some time to solve their issues. As far as I know this is the first mono offered from Hornady... for some to worry that they may experience similar issues at the beginning isnt a sin. (At least not in my eyes) Especially when lives of animals is at stake.

I would have loved to hear what you told the skeptics when the original X was introduced.... lol
The GMX track record is well proven. Saying any of the modern mono metals don't expand when used in their performance envelope is like saying water isn't made up of two hydrogen and one oxygen molecule. Some things just are...that's one of them.

I could likely dig up some old articles but I wasn't a fan at all of the original X bullet. It did have expansion issues, fouling issues, accuracy issues and pressure issues. I was one of the skeptics and for good reason. I only became a fan of the mono metals about 3 or 4 years ago. It took me a long time to warm up to them and I definitely had to see the proof in the pudding. After seeing close to 100 animals hit the deck and recovering a handful of bullets, I'm convinced.

Last edited by sheephunter; 10-25-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I was speaking about mono metal bullets in general...no particular brand. It's unfortunate but as I posted earlier, the original X bullet did have expansion problems and that stigma has followed mono metal bullets since then, despite it being the furthest thing from the truth. There is countless evidence to support the fact that mono metals exapand...a lot. It's one of those rumours that needs to be put to rest for no other reason than it's not true. Spreading second hand info like that serves no purpose other than to further a myth and confuse the fine folks on this board who may not have experience with them.
"Monometals" failing to expand, is hardly a myth or a rumour. I have seen the TSX fail to expand, at all, on three separate occasions. I have a friend in Bozeman who has photographed a TSX and a TTSX that both failed to expand on Elk he shot. The list is quite long actually.

Do I like monometal bullets? Yes I do, but just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it's a myth.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
"Monometals" failing to expand, is hardly a myth or a rumour. I have seen the TSX fail to expand, at all, on three separate occasions. I have a friend in Bozeman who has photographed a TSX and a TTSX that both failed to expand on Elk he shot. The list is quite long actually.

Do I like monometal bullets? Yes I do, but just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it's a myth.
All kinds of things can go wrong and I suppose a manufacturer defect is a possibility but within their performance envelope....they expand. Could pretty well say the same about any premium bullet designed to expand. It's hard to find a bad one these days. Some are just more fragible than others.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
All kinds of things can go wrong and I suppose a manufacturer defect is a possibility but within their performance envelope....they expand. Could pretty well say the same about any premium bullet designed to expand. It's hard to find a bad one these days. Some are just more fragible than others.
Wow. Just wow.

I didn't realize shooting an animal inside 300 yds from a high performance cartridge started at 3000 fps was outside of any premium bullets performance envelope.

I've seen it and am hardly the only one who has and I suspect if more were recovered you would see it even more.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

I didn't realize shooting an animal inside 300 yds from a high performance cartridge started at 3000 fps was outside of any premium bullets performance envelope.

I've seen it and am hardly the only one who has and I suspect if more were recovered you would see it even more.
Perhaps you missed the part where a manufacturer's defect was a possibility or perhaps the load did not perform adequately to achieve desired velocity or..........that's right, it's always the bullet's fault.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:29 PM

I shot a moose once (upon doing the "autopsy" the entrance was bigger than the exit....never recovered that bullet...) moose stood there like nothing happened so I "punched 2 more holes" in him, and had to give him one final when I got up to him....originally was shot from 165yards with a .300 Win Mag......180gr bullet @ ~3050-3100fps if I recall correctly.

2 shots right behind the front shoulder, 3rd one I spined him (on purpose I did not like where he looked like he was going to run).....final shot was from 10 feet away, he was very "aware".....

I decided not to use that bullet anymore...(not telling what is was ) I decided that sometimes a good old "cup and core" is what seems to do the best and quickest job.....IMHO of course

LC
Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you missed the part where a manufacturer's defect was a possibility or perhaps the load did not perform adequately to achieve desired velocity or..........that's right, it's always the bullet's fault.
Perhaps you missed the part where YOU said monometal bullets not opening was a myth and a rumor. Something that needed to be put to rest.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I decided that sometimes a good old "cup and core" is what seems to do the best and quickest job.....IMHO of course

LC
If killing quickly is all that concerns you, they've been doing the job very well for a lot of years and will continue to for many more I'm sure.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
If killing quickly is all that concerns you, they've been doing the job very well for a lot of years and will continue to for many more I'm sure.
It is not all that concerns me....but I like to make a quick clean kill and they have done me no wrong since I started hunting.

If it ain't broke no need to fix it....Sierra Gamekings and Hornady Interlocks have been a staple for a long time and will continue to be much longer.

LC
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Perhaps you missed the part where YOU said monometal bullets not opening was a myth and a rumor. Something that needed to be put to rest.
Think about what you saying chuck...if a bullet doesn't expand its going to meet very little resistance and pass through easily. If I found a non expanded bullet in an animal, let alone several of them, especially ones plagued with rumours of penciling through...I'd be looking for a cause that made a bit more sense but it is always easiest to blame the bullet.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Think about what you saying chuck...if a bullet doesn't expand its going to meet very little resistance and pass through easily. If I found a non expanded bullet in an animal, let alone several of them, especially ones plagued with rumours of penciling through...I'd be looking for a cause that made a bit more sense but it is always easiest to blame the bullet.
Good grief.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Good grief.
So what's your explanation?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM

I have had 150 gr Sierra Game Kings that I loaded in my 270 not expand. Shot a few deer and one moose with them. The lungs of the deer looked like a pencil was poked through them. Moose was at 75 yds and the in and out holes were very small. They all died, just took a little longer thats all. I no longer load Sierras. The 150 gr SSTs perform very well using the same powder. But I have to admit, the remainder of the Sierras did a very good job of punching holes in paper.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
I have had 150 gr Sierra Game Kings that I loaded in my 270 not expand. Shot a few deer and one moose with them. The lungs of the deer looked like a pencil was poked through them. Moose was at 75 yds and the in and out holes were very small. They all died, just took a little longer thats all. I no longer load Sierras. The 150 gr SSTs perform very well using the same powder. But I have to admit, the remainder of the Sierras did a very good job of punching holes in paper.
Wow really? I use 130gr Game Kings in my .270win, they destroy deer from 50-380 yards that I have shot them from. Never would I say they penciled....what velocity were they coming out of your rifle at?

LC