Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Default getting started hunting in edmonton

Hello all
I have literally only joined the forum this minute. I am moving to edmonton in june from Ireland and was hoping to get down to some serious hunting on a regular basis of any description. Can anybody tell me whats involved... is it simply a case of buying a rifle and getting stuck in (which I assume it isn't) how much red tape is there? is there much expense associated? Are there hunters willing to take out a stranger? or am i just barking up the wrong tree altogether? I have seen some sites offering hunting trips but thats not really what im after.
Any advice would be appreciated
Flick
Old 01-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to meet fellow outdoors people and before long, they wont be strangers, they will be friends and they will show you the ropes. Dont get discouraged if it doesn't all come together over night.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Gone Hunting

There was a Texan looking for the same advise in another thread, should be easy to find. Dick284 took some time and wrote out some good stuff that should help get you going as well. As far as the hunting end goes, if you are into it, you should encounter no problems here.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Let me know when you get to Alberta and I'd be willing to show you the ropes. I've found in the last few years that less and less of my friends and co-workers are into hunting, so I't would be nice to have someone else aboard.

Cheers,
Lindsay
Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Yeah sounds great ill do that. Im only going to be there for 1 year, will this effect me getting a licence do you think, what do you hunt
Old 01-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick View Post
Yeah sounds great ill do that. Im only going to be there for 1 year, will this effect me getting a licence do you think, what do you hunt
you will have to check out the laws, as i believe before you can hunt as a resident of alberta you have to have lived in alberta for a year prior to getting a resident lisence, other than that you my have to go the non resident alian ,guide route( costly) and then there is the federal laws pertaineing to getting a firearm i dont beleive its as cut and dryed as just going getting a lisence and going hunting, as you said you are moveing here from Ireland, there is the hunter education course, the fire arms course, alot of differnt things to look into,
I wish you luck , and hope you can arrange to do some hunting in our awsome province
Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 PM

Alberta Hunters Education

http://www.aheia.com/Main
Old 01-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Banned

Best 2 things you can do

#1 Join AHEIA (Alberta Hunters Ed instructors) They will give you access to all the red tape cutting you will need. And they have a great mentor program

#2 Join SCI Northern Alberta. This is a fantstic way to meet some very like minded people.

Good luck and welcome to Alberta.

Jamie