Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 02:08 PM

Default Anyone familiar with cracked foundation repair.

Looking for a system to do it right. I will hopefully be doing it myself, any systems you would recommend.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-20-2020, 02:40 PM

sitka have some injection type repair products. is its just crack or is there water entering it ? if its leaking might have to raise the slope outside so water run away from the house .
Old 01-20-2020, 03:00 PM

Depends on what type of crack - simple hairlines which do not run horizontally can usually be filled and the best product depends on how much of it and how accessible that foundation is (inside and out). You can also tell by the staining how much water is getting in and where to address any simple outside issues (like grading, soil type in contact with foundation and weeping tile) after you patch it.

Bigger cracks (and ones that run horizontal and are deep) could require underpinning prior to filling as settling can exasperate the issue until it's been properly stabilized. There are some ways to underpin "do it yourself" that won't kill you if you have the patience and time.

I've had to deal with both types of issues before and can offer what I can for advice. I just can't happily pay thousands of dollars to a "foundation guy" to do work you can do yourself - it's all labor and profit - concrete and cribbing are cheap. An engineer - if needed - is a one time cost.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:23 PM

Dig a hole to your footing once the ground thaws out. Chip out the crack/footing and clean the wall with a wire brush. Fill chipped out crack/footing with glue then patch with construction grout. Coat with tar product add some foundation wrap and backfill.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
Dig a hole to your footing once the ground thaws out. Chip out the crack/footing and clean the wall with a wire brush. Fill chipped out crack/footing with glue then patch with construction grout. Coat with tar product add some foundation wrap and backfill.
This is exactly how I did my own house, and one at my BILs house....Dug out 2' to either side and down to the weeping tile/gravel, used Sika products for the concrete repair/patch and then a good coating from big 20L pail of black (tar-like) foundation waterproofing over the entire wall area and onto the footing. Once that set-up I stuck on a 24" wide strip of ice-n-water roofing membrane vertically over top and straddling crack location just as an extra layer of protection while backfilling. Used a jumping jack to backfill in lifts, don't compact too much, could potentially damage the weeping tile.

Tested the repair areas by soaking thoroughly with a hose and neither house has leaked a drop since.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
This is exactly how I did my own house, and one at my BILs house....Dug out 2' to either side and down to the weeping tile/gravel, used Sika products for the concrete repair/patch and then a good coating from big 20L pail of black (tar-like) foundation waterproofing over the entire wall area and onto the footing. Once that set-up I stuck on a 24" wide strip of ice-n-water roofing membrane vertically over top and straddling crack location just as an extra layer of protection while backfilling. Used a jumping jack to backfill in lifts, don't compact too much, could potentially damage the weeping tile.

Tested the repair areas by soaking thoroughly with a hose and neither house has leaked a drop since.
Which Sika products please?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-21-2020, 05:35 PM

Sika construction adhesive. PL premium or similar will work.
Edit I'm sure chemtron also has a suitable product too.

Last edited by icecold; 01-21-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Which Sika products please?
My bad, just went n looked at the container I had left, it was Commercial Grade Quickcrete - hydraulic water-stop cement. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/qui...9kg/1000149564

I bumped into a foundation guy when looking to buy my supplies at HD and he recommended it.

This is the waterproofer.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bak...03102?rec=true
Old 06-16-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

How long did it take you to excavate? Any leaks since you patched it?

I have a few cracks in my foundation that I found after they started leaking with the heavy rain at the end of May (house is only 5 years old argh). My grading needs to be fixed as it sank after the neighbour put in some concert side walk and patio on his side and I picked up a lot of extra rainwater runoff (not the end of the world). Besides regarding, I'd like to fix the cracks so I don't have to worry about them leaking again or when I go to develop the basement in the future. Two of the cracks you can see water slowly dripping in when it rains hard, so I could try repairing them from the inside. Two other "cracks" you can see a line where it gets wet, but no visible cracks inside. Not sure if other people have had success in chiseling something like that out and repairing from the inside and having it last?

I'm thinking that it would be best to repair it from the outside as you've described. I would think I should be able to see the cracks better on the outside, repair them and than add a membrane. Trying to figure the best way forward without spending an arm and a leg. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2020, 12:39 PM

Had some vertical cracks filled in my old dump.

I used a local foundation leak type outfit.

IIRC...

They basically drill holes along the crack every 6-8" or so.

Used quikset to hold brass tubes in holes.

Pumped "product" into the tubes.

Covered with quick set.

The advantage of course is no need to dig up your outside. Apparently the product expands and fills the cracks and remains somewhat pliable?

Not cheap but the cracks did not leak since.

It is possible that the product they use is available to buy?

Vid here of one guy doing it with an off the shelf kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-SC0-jFJj0
Old 06-16-2020, 02:23 PM

I have used the one in CMichaud's video successfully in the past. Works great. Just make sure you prep well, and ensure the injection tubes are clear of debris etc. before pumping in the expanding grout.

The application where I used it didn't permit me to excavate at the outside of the building, so this was the solution.

About $90 for the kit at Home Depot.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:10 PM

If the house is 5 years old , doesn’t new home warranty cover foundations for 10years ?

If it’s Leaking inside , your best options is to repair from the outside , Sitka products are good , then cover in Blue Skin wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by just View Post

I have a few cracks in my foundation that I found after they started leaking with the heavy rain at the end of May (house is only 5 years old argh). My grading needs to be fixed as it sank after the neighbour put in some concert side walk and patio on his side and I picked up a lot of extra rainwater runoff (not the end of the world). Besides regarding, I'd like to fix the cracks so I don't have to worry about them leaking again or when I go to develop the basement in the future. Two of the cracks you can see water slowly dripping in when it rains hard, so I could try repairing them from the inside. Two other "cracks" you can see a line where it gets wet, but no visible cracks inside. Not sure if other people have had success in chiseling something like that out and repairing from the inside and having it last?

I'm thinking that it would be best to repair it from the outside as you've described. I would think I should be able to see the cracks better on the outside, repair them and than add a membrane. Trying to figure the best way forward without spending an arm and a leg. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochranenite View Post
If the house is 5 years old , doesn’t new home warranty cover foundations for 10years ?

If it’s Leaking inside , your best options is to repair from the outside , Sitka products are good , then cover in Blue Skin wrap
I do have the 10 year new home warranty, but I guess they only cover foundation cracks for structural defects, which these aren't. Thanks for mentioning it though, I do appreciate it. I'm going to call my builder again (I'm 5 months past my warranty with them) and push a little harder. I have a neighbour who built with the same builder and is having similar issues. He asked the builder for some progress reports requested by his insurance company for his claim and turns out they didn't have the weeping tile report because they didn't install it. Builder says they are going to fix it as it's their fault and my house was built around the same time.

If I can't get anywhere with the builder, I'll try the suggestions from here (not looking forward to digging though haha). Really appreciate the advice!
Old 06-17-2020, 04:32 PM

Guys make a living at knowing what to do here.

Horizontal cracks should be looked at by a pro. Vertical cracks can be solved DIY unless the faces have shifted away from each other. Don’t attempt to fix issue from inside only. Urethane injection works very well if it’s sealed from the outside.

If it’s not leaking, not horizontal, let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just View Post

I would guesstimate I spent two evengings at about 3 hours each digging my own (4' wide X 2' away from foundation and about 6 n 1/2ish deep to get down to the weeping tile gravel). For my BILs place he had a few cracks over a span of about 20' so we rented a mini excavator. I should mention these were all vertical cracks and the faces had not shifted away from each other. Probably cost you around $250 in materials plus your sweat equity.
Absolutely no leaks and it has been a number of years since both repairs. If you end up digging at least you will confirm the weeping tile is there...or not. Take care when backfilling to not compact too much, you could damage the weeping tile.