Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are partially correct.

Laws (Facts) tell us what happens.
Theories explain how and why something happens.

While laws rarely change, theories change frequently as new evidence is discovered. Instead of being discarded because of new evidence, theories are often revised to include the new evidence in their explanation. The Theory of General Relativity has adapted as new technologies and new evidence have expanded our view of the universe.
So when we are scientifically discussing gravity, we can talk about the law of gravity that describes the attraction between two objects, and we can also talk about the theory of gravity that describes why the objects attract each other.
Haha trying not to get too dorky on this, but if you research gravity, there is a growing concensus that it's not what we think it is, just bodies of mass attracting smaller bodies. Too many observed anomalies, which lead to other theories. Gravity is a theory, not a law. Same thing with time, most people think time is a standard, doesn't change, it's fact.
Certainly not true. If a space ship travels at the speed of light, and a space ship behind it travelling at the speed of light turns on its headlights, will the first ship ever see them, seeing as how it's travelling at the speed of light? It's all about PERSPECTIVE

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-19-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 AM

Truth is being there in the moment....... after that it goes to......
Old 01-19-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I disagree. It rose in the South. Slightly Southeast. It sets in the South. Slightly Southwest.
Ken, you've neatly shown how a moment's carelessness in choosing my words (actually only a single word) invalidates the point I was making. Actually, my word choice falsifies my basic premise as written. I don't suppose similar carelessness could creep into scientific writing. Nah.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:18 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth

I don't know.

you-want-the-truth-you-cant-handle-the-truth-they-46089801.png

Last edited by Indy; 01-19-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:19 AM

Lets try one more. Some of you may know where I read this. I studied and read most of his work, very famous.

A train is travelling north at 5mph. A man on the train is walking on the roof north, at 5mph. How fast is he travelling?

Same scenario, but the train is heading south at 5mph, and he is heading north at 5mph, how fast is he travelling?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Lets try one more. Some of you may know where I read this. I studied and read most of his work, very famous.

A train is travelling north at 5mph. A man on the train is walking on the roof north, at 5mph. How fast is he travelling?

Same scenario, but the train is heading south at 5mph, and he is heading north at 5mph, how fast is he travelling?
I know this one!

Mrs Teasdale, grade 7 math!!!

(you have to take into account the spin of the earth and the speed it is going through space as well, rough on a 13 yr old brain)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I know this one!

Mrs Teasdale, grade 7 math!!!

(you have to take into account the spin of the earth and the speed it is going through space as well, rough on a 13 yr old brain)
Haha no, taking out earth in orbit, just as a bystander on a train platform, and as the man walking on the train

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-19-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:30 AM

Default One reason

Old 01-19-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Bloopbloob, math has always been a challenge for me and, therefore, so has physics. Your example has reminded me of various times, long long ago, that I encounterred these questions. Do you have a non-mathematical explanation of what happens when the train moving north gets close to the speed of light?

BTW who is the famous person to whom you refer? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:00 PM

The sun did not rise - the world turned enough for us to see it again.

One time a young reporter interviewed 2 people coming out of a political debate audience, one liberal and the other conservative. Their answers to what they heard in the meeting were so different it was hard to believe they were at the same venue.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:33 PM

Arrow 'Truth'

Ain't that the Truth ❗

Selkirk
Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 PM

Facts are always facts.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Bloopbloob, math has always been a challenge for me and, therefore, so has physics. Your example has reminded me of various times, long long ago, that I encounterred these questions. Do you have a non-mathematical explanation of what happens when the train moving north gets close to the speed of light?

BTW who is the famous person to whom you refer? Thanks.
Stephen Hawking, who I consider to be the most brilliant mind in recorded history.

The answer is that there is no true answer. To the man on the train, moving 5mph south, as man is headed 5mph north, he travelled 10 miles along the train in one hour. His starting point is 10 miles behind him. True to his perspective. To the bystander watching from the platform, he went nowhere. 0 mph total, as the train was moving away as he moved forward at the same pace, and you just see a man walking without progression forward. Perspective and theory of relativity.

As far as the train moving at the speed of light, not sure what you are asking... If the man also moves at that speed, the idea remains. It has been proven that the faster you go, time slows down. Distortion of space/time occurs with speed.
The answer to the spaceships at the speed of light, headlights question, is that the first ship would see the lights instantly, due to distortion of space/time, light would not be travelling faster than the speed of light. Time would just slow down.... This has been proven many times, usually using decay rates and half-lifes of radioactive isotopes. Don't even have to go to space to prove it (which they have done). It has also been tested in tall buildings on Earth. Time travels very slightly slower on high story floors than the bottom floor.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-19-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

Ain't that the Truth ❗

Selkirk
I like the Jack Nicholson version better .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

Grizz
Old 01-19-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I disagree. It rose in the South. Slightly Southeast. It sets in the South. Slightly Southwest.

I hate winter. Even the sun isn't right.
I disagree Ken, until I got home a few days ago the sun didn’t rise at all at work (work in Nunavut)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
This seems to be a popular thought; but it means that opposing views can both be correct. If I choose to believe that the sun is blue, that doesn't make it true.
I recognize that there are plenty of "grey areas" where reality may not be clear; but even within these the perspective of one person may be more accurate/closer to reality, than that of another.
What you say is true...but the OP posed the question as it pertains to news sources. You have no way of knowing if a news source is not flavouring their reporting with a personal agenda or bias.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:40 PM

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

- Doctor Who episode, 1974
Old 01-19-2020, 02:57 PM

Truth is a conditioning we are exposed to from birth in the family based on that family's society and beliefs. Reality is a person's personal perception.

"If the mind is not contrived, it is spontaneously blissful, just as water, when not agitated, is by nature...transparent and clear".” ~ Sogyal Rinpoche
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-19-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
As far as the train moving at the speed of light, not sure what you are asking...
Thanks for the reply bloopbloob.

If the train is travelling north at 1 mph less than the speed of light, what happens when the man on top of the train starts walking north at 5 mph? Neither can exceed the speed of light as far as I know but I also know that I don't really understand non-Newtonian physics at all (enough trouble with the Newtonian kind).

Thanks again for any light you can shed for me.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply bloopbloob.

If the train is travelling north at 1 mph less than the speed of light, what happens when the man on top of the train starts walking north at 5 mph? Neither can exceed the speed of light as far as I know but I also know that I don't really understand non-Newtonian physics at all (enough trouble with the Newtonian kind).

Thanks again for any light you can shed for me.
That man at 5 mph will probably do about 300 back flips before falling off to the side...haha.. As far as I know, nothing has ever been proven to travel faster than light. The Hadron collider has accelerated particles to within a fraction of a second , but never exceeded. Recently read about Tachyrons, which I'm just learning, but there is indication they may travel faster than light
Old 01-19-2020, 03:30 PM

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart
Old 01-19-2020, 04:05 PM

It's easy to judge an ethical and reliable source of news on the internet these days. A respectable news outlet doesn't use terms like "lunatic" and "mouthpiece" in headlines.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:41 PM

Good thread

I think the ‘shocking’ thing about ‘things these days’ is that there are soo many readily available, super convincing narratives and world views out there that we don’t have any community consensus on narratives. And that’s disturbing to communities.

Commonly believed ‘truths’ are a survival necessity for our tribes. I doubt we’ll ever have that again due to the current state of communications technology.

Which means we’ll all just have to feel a little conflicted bout stuff.

Course then there’s whiskey (Crown) n hockey (Oilers).... them two provide a pretty stable - sensible social outlook if you ask me.....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-19-2020, 05:52 PM

The problem in Canada is that we do not have a Fox type of news to counterbalance the left therefore we get only left thinking views. You can argue left vs right views but if there are no right views then pretty much all news is BS. I detest CBC wit a vengeance but the others are not a lot different.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I think that there are some things that are both subjectively and objectively true. These are not usually the source of disagreements. We can all agree that the sun rose over there (points to the east) today.

Unfortunately, it seems that the more important the question, the harder it is to determine objective truths to answer it. This applies whether we are discussing climate change, crime rates or the best form of government.

Are there any philosophers or scientists on here to help?
The question really comes down to your world view. With some world views, you can not trust any of your reasoning. And the scientists don't have the answers. In fact the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 01-19-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Default Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
The problem in Canada is that we do not have a Fox type of news to counterbalance the left therefore we get only left thinking views. You can argue left vs right views but if there are no right views then pretty much all news is BS. I detest CBC wit a vengeance but the others are not a lot different.
So you just want another pile of BS that smells different...? And that balances it out...? Cause Fox need is at least as poopy as CBC.

Fun fact... news has NEVER been unbiased.

You just miss the good ole days when there was one narrative and it made you feel safe and right...

Perhaps you are better off just keeping on what your doing.... you’re trying to find the truth of events in the world.

You know that stuff is highly subjective...
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-19-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The question really comes down to your world view. With some world views, you can not trust any of your reasoning. And the scientists don't have the answers. In fact the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.
Absolutely true. The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. If you don't realize, and question what is presented, that is when you become one of the millions of sheeple....
Old 01-19-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Just because a news organization is not sensationalist and fear-mongering, that doesn't make them "libby left-tards".
Old 01-19-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Rebel tries. Amazing how Left leaners hate them.

Grizz
Old 01-19-2020, 09:14 PM

First of all,personal truths cannot be likes or dislikes,it has to be something more serious and lasting,based on two things.
Experience and long refection, something that becomes a second nature,not likely to be abandoned or changed for something else.

This is what I call personal truth.