Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 02:57 PM

And therein lays the biggest ethical question ......

If it falls simply on "who was there first" and "ownership and jurisdiction" falls upon those we have a big problem to rectify.

Think of the entire British Empire, Portuguese and French Colonies - wouldn't they have to relinquish all territory and controls to those who could prove genetic/geographical/indigenous entitlement?.

For many years it was "those that discovered and conquered" who called the shots and claimed ownership and jurisdiction. The rights of the indigenous people were not considered.

Either way ....

This is a slippery slope for setting precedence for both sides of the ethical and philosophical discussion.

What Canada is doing (I hope) is trying to bridge the two - which has become contentious, complicated and inadequate to many parties.

Last edited by EZM; 01-19-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
What Canada is doing (I hope) is trying to bridge the two - which has become contentious, complicated and inadequate to many parties.
Government should help the process. Government never divides the people.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Government should help the process. Government never divides the people.
The word "contentious" in my post - is largely synonymous with divisive (or to divide).

Yeah - unfortunately I can't logically disagree.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:14 PM

DC,

Your assumption that I have any relation to Talking moose is as wrong as your interpretation of what I've been saying to you.
It is good to note the inference does reveal much about your mindset on this topic.

I have NEVER said that I support the Hereditary Chief system..

All I have been saying is that the Hereditary Chief system is legitimate within many First Nations and they do have current and expanding jurisdiction to govern.
Even the Canadian courts agree.

You are wrong as to the historical and current existence of Hereditary Chiefs.
Object as much as you want, it still won't change the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Tkiper, Walking Moose, Talking Buffalo,

You still do not grasp the obvious about majority rule and the farce of Hereditary Chiefs in the modern age.

The so called Clan system is why the Rains and the Birds continue to take turns running Wabamun Lake Indian Reserve very poorly, with the odd interspersed "Clan Violence" mixed in between. Each Clan puts in its Council when it gets the change, and then mis manages the place to death to the point where the Lac St. Anne Fire Department refused to attend to a house fire because the contract had been unpaid for years. The Band Council of the time screamed to the media, and when it was disclosed that the Band had not paid its fire service contract, but had TAKEN THE FEDERAL MONEY FOR FIRE SERVICE PROTECTION, then the Council blamed the last Clan who was running the place so poorly.

Up at Assumption (Cheteh) the Seniantha clan has been delivering and being delivered the Clan violence experience for decades. Both sides up there have a habit of hit and run accidents on lone members of the other Clan walking on the highway.

Your so called Clan allegiance has always been a historic problem.

The year after Captain Cook sailed into Nootka Sound to discover the west coast of Canada, three other "Clans" ambushed the dominant Clan killing all but 23 members who were lucky enough to flee up to Gold River. By some historic accounts, the other Clans killed 1600 people over logs and salmon rivers.

When Cook returned, the so called Hereditary Chief had changed. So much for succession based on birth right. Succession was based on who was the most violent.

The Andrews Clan in Gold River who have a settled reserve beside Mutcha Bay, have been dealing with the Hereditary Chief problems for years. Go talk to Larry Andrews for a History Lesson and his opinion on Hereditary Chiefs. His Clan was the one that almost was wiped off the face of this earth.

So don't try to white wash these extortionists claiming to have the representation of the Majority of First Nations Members in the area. They do not represent the Majority. In fact, they have NO JURISDICTION at all.

These so called Hereditary Chiefs are nothing more than Opportunists who have been fabricated by a Multi National Non Governmental Organization to manipulate the Majority of the First Nations, for something that they do support.

Drewski

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-19-2020, 04:39 PM

There needs to be a statute of limitations on this or the Blackfoots will have to give back the land they took from the Cree.

Some lands in Europe have changed hands dozens of times over the centuries.

My family immigrated from Kentucky over 100 years(4 generations) ago and from England before that. I consider this place mine.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
My name was given to me by my mother and not my internet handle,no elders or the mayor or no great ceremony even though she was FN'S ,she had 3 jobs and brought up 9 kids with no help from anyone except from my older brothers who sent home money to help her.If she went out shopping she was dressed like no one else,her hair had to be perfect and her clothing had to be very nice and looked good and yet everyone respected her even though she was FN's.

She was a very proud women who carved her own path in life and never used some card as a crutch to lean on to survive.She read the bible 4 nights a week for one hour at our local jail and fed the street people with whatever she could fix up,yet she didn't need some name from no elders to know her identity and what her purpose in life was and always knowing her creator created us all the same despite the color of our skin.

To talk of war or cold war towards others is a sign of dark heart lost trying to find a path that is right in front of them,we all believe in some sort of creator on every continent .So why waste this small journey in life so short and an a act of war shows bad intent and going after your enemy to sort out your lives which no war will accomplish.

Our creator gave us all a mind to think with and better our selves ,but extortion isn't something to be proud of by any one.Yes plenty of things went wrong hundreds of years ago,look at the jews yet there a very powerful and proud group of people and ask nothing from no one except to be left alone and do there lives and not look back or point fingers to those who harmed them for a very very long time,but yet they prosper.

Holding on to the past never lets you go forward ,if the whole planet did this where would we be? No one living in todays world is perfect just like it was 400 years ago and yet you speak that the first nations are digging in,try digging out maybe this will be the best approach in the eyes of your creator and not by extortion or a cold war against your country.

My goal in life is also irrelevant to others, but my intent is to help my family and live a clean and happy life.I have little education and my grammar is poor, but I ran my own corporation for over 3 decades ,it was far from perfect yet I hired anyone regardless of there color or there religious beliefs in there lives. I see very well what's ahead and saying BC or CANADA is screwed is being very naïve on the realities of life.

Cheers

JD
Your mother was a strong woman.
My favorite days are spent with Elders that live very much like her.
They are impressive.

Warning of war is not always a sign of darkness.
Warnings are often given so that the darkness can be avoided.
I agree wholeheartedly with you that the current path of many First Nations is dangerous and potentially self defeating.

As you may have read earlier, I am not FN.
My time with many FNs is spent in a between world.
I am not FN, yet I am asked to participate in their world, while walking my path.
I suspect this gives me a unique perspective, and one where while compassionate to their struggles, I can see dangers that many don't.
My ability to help guide is limited, yet I will do what I can.

I'll also agree that holding on to grievances is sickening.
This desire to not forgive is having a very detrimental effect on many FN children. It saddens me to see "adults" indoctrinate their youth to be mad.
Most frustrating is that often these teachings to be "hurt" is being done for selfish economic and social power of the leaders.

However, we must remember that We are Human.
While not desirable to all, this is the beauty of Nature.

What we are living today is no different than how it has always been, and I suspect, as it always will be. There is no Light without Darkness.
This is OK, this is the Full Circle of Life.

-----

BC as the Province we know today is screwed.
Nothing in Nature stays the same, and now is the time that BC is evolving very fast.
This doesn't mean what lies ahead is any better or worse.
Opinions on the changes that are occurring to BC as a Province right now are viewed based on perspective. Some like it, some don't.
It's naïve to think otherwise.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-19-2020, 06:28 PM
Banned

BC is at the forefront in Canada for an example of Indigenous people standing up for thier land that has been stolen for generations. What little this band of people have left is being protected. Not for money, for what it is. The land.

Someone said earlier "follow the money" and you will find the truth.

The only people that are invested money wise are the corps and the oil/gas grunts that will make money from this plan.

Sure the band will get schillings along the way.

Take.

Leave.

The grunts have zero invested in this territory long term.

Thier opinion mean zero. The writing has been on the wall for how long?...maybe find a new career.

From what Ive heard from peeps in Alberta there will only be more from nations demanding thier land be given back. There will be court president for this movement.

There is no reconciliation without repatriation.

Oh and btw the sepreme court of Canada decided this in 1997. A quote from a Globe and Mail piece this last week:

"The hereditary governments are not rogue and non-democratic factions. This is a willful misreading of Canadian law. The most important case on Aboriginal title in Canada was fought in 1997 and won by the Wet’suwet’en (and Gitxsan) in the Delgamuukw decision. The court recognized that underlying title continues to rest with the Indigenous nation where treaties have not been signed. This interest in the land was found to be collective, unique and proprietary in nature. Note that it was the hereditary chiefs who brought the case to the Supreme Court and the hereditary chiefs whose authority to govern was recognized in the decision."
Globe and Mail, January 15, 2020

Last edited by Savage3006; 01-19-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage3006 View Post
BC is at the forefront in Canada for an example of Indigenous people standing up for thier land that has been stolen for generations. What little this band of people have left is being protected. Not for money, for what it is. The land.

The only people that are invested money wise are the corps and the oil/gas grunts that will make money from this plan.

Take.

Leave.

Thier opinion mean zero. The writing has been on the wall for how long?...maybe find a new career.

From what Ive heard from peeps in Alberta there will only be more from nations demanding thier land be given back. There will be court president for this movement.

Oh and btw the sepreme court of Canada decided this in 1997. A quote from a Globe and Mail piece this last week:

"The hereditary governments are not rogue and non-democratic factions. This is a willful misreading of Canadian law. The most important case on Aboriginal title in Canada was fought in 1997 and won by the Wet’suwet’en (and Gitxsan) in the Delgamuukw decision. The court recognized that underlying title continues to rest with the Indigenous nation where treaties have not been signed. This interest in the land was found to be collective, unique and proprietary in nature. Note that it was the hereditary chiefs who brought the case to the Supreme Court and the hereditary chiefs whose authority to govern was recognized in the decision."
So what you're saying is, is that if the non-aboriginals want crown land to remain EVERYONE'S land, it would likely take a hostile action....interesting.

And as for the grunts finding a new career, I wish they all would have a few weeks ago.
No natural gas, coal, gasoline, or diesel and -40 for a week and a half.
Find a new career indeed...

Also, if you believe this land was "stolen" as you say, who was it stolen from exactly and how did the people who had it stolen acquire it?
If the term stolen can be thrown around so easily, and then forced to be taken so seriously, I think you owe Greta a childhood. After all, she claims it was stolen.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Take.

Leave.

Follow the money , was in reference to who is paying the protestors. The people paying the protestors are paying the protestors, because they have something to gain by stopping Canadian pipelines. For example the Alberta chief that was paid $55,000 by Tides, to protest Canadian oil. A person that protests because of his beliefs, can be respected if he protests legally, but a paid protestor, has no beliefs, he is just a low life, looking to make a profit.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Follow the money , was in reference to who is paying the protestors. The people paying the protestors are paying the protestors, because they have something to gain by stopping Canadian pipelines. For example the Alberta chief that was paid $55,000 by Tides, to protest Canadian oil. A person that protests because of his beliefs, can be respected if he protests legally, but a paid protestor, has no beliefs, he is just a low life, looking to make a profit.
Exactly!
If they were stewards of the land and cared about the environment they would be appealing to the feds and the UN to help with the big bar slide
Not looking for the money and hoping to get paid off by protesting a pipeline
Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 PM

I actually have a couple questions in this
Why is it and I have spent some time looking and trying to read land claims in BC that the land there are asking for is actually more than then is in BC ?
Another one is why where the 3 women hereditary chiefs that supported the pipeline stripped of their title ,and who got their clan ?
Also my understanding is that hereditary chiefs at lest the one in BC follow the maternal line and where traditionally women and the 5 that are left are men ?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Power to the people.

Sorry but until you have proof of PAID PROTESTERS, all you are doing is crying.

Also, an industry that is stopped by a few aint very strong to begin with.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Power to the people.

I know you are going to say its from the Sun but I don't have time to wade into Tides IRS filings
Old 01-19-2020, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
I know you are going to say its from the Sun but I don't have time to wade into Tides IRS filings
Then move out of the way. Cause thats whats happening.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Power to the people.

This is one paid protestor.

https://torontosun.com/2014/01/17/fi...4-9c782fb886f2

Quote:
Exactly Tides pays many protestors.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4059563/d...tain-pipeline/

https://business.financialpost.com/o...-oil-pipelines

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-19-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

one....
Old 01-19-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
one....
The most well known and likely one of the highest paid. But they tend to hide their payments , so they aren't easy to find.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
The most well known and likely one of the highest paid. But they tend to hide their payments , so they aren't easy to find.
They probably just send it to their favorite casino in Vegas
Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Absolutely spot on, anyone and I mean anyone that thinks these protesters are not paid needs to pull their head out of their A ..... sand.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:09 AM

If you don't think foreign interest groups are actively funding protesters in this country then read a snippet of the testimony given at a Senate Standing Committee .
Here's the link to the whole thing if you care to read it in its' entirety:

https://sencanada.ca/en/Content/SEN/...1/enev/54662-e

Calvin Helin, Chairman and President, Eagle Spirit Energy Holding Ltd.: [Indigenous language spoken]. Thank you very kindly, Madam Chair, for the invitation to present today on an important bill to Indigenous people in Canada.

I will quickly introduce our project. Eagle Spirit Energy represents an energy corridor project that is currently supported by 35 First Nations. We are teamed with the four major pipeline unions that represent about 330,000 workers in Canada. We are proposing an energy corridor from Fort McMurray to Lax Kw’alaams, the community I am from, on the northern coast of British Columbia.

The reason this project was started initially was because the First Nations along the route were concerned about the environmental impacts of Northern Gateway. This project that we have been pursuing for six years will be 85 per cent equity owned by First Nations, without any government support. Underlying the philosophy of First Nations, most communities typically represent 90 per cent unemployment in the communities.

For most people in the Western world, the Great Depression ended in about 1939, or whenever it was, but it has never ended in First Nations.

The kinds of social dysfunction, lack of economic opportunities and the debt slavery that government policy has put First Nations into would shock any other country in the world. To hear our Prime Minister saying that he will solve all our problems when virtually nothing has been done, and in actual fact when Indigenous people are trying to solve their own problems, bills like this one and Bill C-48 are seen as barriers to our solving our own problems.

The Chair: We are discussing Bill C-69.

Mr. Helin: I just mentioned it because these two bills together are seen by First Nations as being highly obstructionist. The environmentalists are seen by First Nations as a group of people who have no connection with their traditional territory. The territory I am from has been there for at least 13,000 years.

To have environmentalists parachute in and seek to dictate policy in our traditional territory is obscene as is this kind of government policy. Our chiefs are represented through a council of chiefs. It is seen to interfere with decisions that tribal leaders have to make in their traditional territories to solve their own problems.

We have been looking after the environment in our territories for 13,000 years. We don’t need any latte-slurping rich kid flying in from the city and telling us what to do in our traditional territories.
Most of you people probably have never been up in our territory. You don’t know what we’re talking about.

Having got into this project and having been involved in it for such a long time, we have created a project that would greatly simplify and provide a higher standard of environmental protection than anything the federal government is proposing. It is something that needs to be paid attention to.

In the current situation in the energy industry we’re having to ship our energy down to the Gulf of Mexico, either by train or by railroad. That environmental footprint or CO2 footprint is five to ten times simply shipping it out to the West Coast and to other markets.

As well, we are looking at trying to solve the world’s CO2 problems as a Canadian problem when it’s a world problem. When I say that, what I mean is that we only produce about 1.6 per cent of the CO2 in the world. The countries of China and India alone are projected to be increasing their CO2 output by potentially 30 per cent of world output.

With 48-inch LNG pipelines to the West Coast and with that product going to either China or India, we could reduce the CO2 footprint in the world by half of Canada’s current CO2 footprint.

We have proposed more stringent environmental regulations than are being proposed under any Canadian law right now. This has been done by the chiefs. What the council of chiefs has clearly said they don’t want is a standing given to anybody that has no skin in their traditional territory. It’s felt that Bill C-69 does that.

Indigenous people face a problem with the way most Western countries were settled by colonial governments pushing the Indigenous populations, whether it was Africa, India or North America, on to the worst pieces of land, taking away their abilities to be self-reliant, passing laws that prevented them from basically competing in the economy, and putting them in a debt slavery situation where their entire sources of income came from the federal government.

Clarence Louie, a chief from British Columbia, has said that the best social program is a job. First Nations in Alberta, along with the rest of the Albertans, have lost hundreds of thousands of jobs. The opportunity to create economic development within the traditional territories of most communities is contingent upon holistically balanced natural resource development. First Nations can look after their own lands. They don’t need a government, located thousands of miles away, with people who have no idea what is going on in their territory dictating to them what their rules should be.

Collectively First Nations are going to be making written submissions to the United Nations Committee on Indigenous Rights, basically stating that the Canadian government, with Bill C-69 and Bill C-48, is breaching their fundamental rights as protected by the United Nations declaration. I don’t know if this committee understands, or maybe you do, but I don’t think there is a lot of understanding in Ottawa about how not only the Indigenous community but the entire Western Canada, whose economy is based on natural resource development, feel alienated by the laws being passed.

Some 300 First Nations are organizing with the three western provinces and the two northern territories, the signing of a natural resources accord among the First Nations and the western provinces. This bill and Bill C-48 aren’t an Alberta problem. They’re a Western Canada and a Northern Canada problem because the people that live in those areas feel their only source of an economic future is being attacked by elitists from large cities.

Did I only have five minutes?

The Chair: Yes.

Mr. Helin: I will stop there. Thank you.

Senator Neufeld: You explained very well how the group of environmentalists have changed their tune a bit, but actually the same goal was to shut down the oil sands and to shut down natural resource development in Western Canada specifically.

Are the funders the same? The funders were the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, Tides U.S.A. and some other large organizations. Are they still funding that group after they changed their wording of what they are doing?

Ms. Krause: The group that I mentioned is called CorpEthics. They changed that description in January. These grants happen yearly, so it’s too soon to say.

Senator Neufeld: I suspect, though, not to put words in your mouth, that it would be the same.

Ms. Krause: I don’t expect any changes in the funding, no.

Senator Neufeld: Thank you.

Ms. Krause: We know that the campaign is defined by the funders. CorpEthics was contracted to do what the funders had defined they wanted done, not the other way around.

Senator Cordy: Thank you very much to both of you for being here this morning. It’s nice to be on the West Coast, although I was up at three o’clock this morning.

Mr. Helin, my first question is for you. Thank you very much for your testimony. I agree that the Indigenous communities have felt alienated. I think you have made that point very clearly.

We have had a lot of witnesses before the committee, and last week we had the Native Women’s Association speaking specifically about Bill C-69. Their comments were that the previous bill from 2012 left Indigenous peoples on the outside. They felt that Bill C-69 must be passed because for the first time ever in legislation gender-based analysis was in a bill. They felt it was an opportunity for Indigenous women’s voices to be heard, and that the process had been inclusive in terms of consultation with the First Nations.

In light of what we heard last week and now we’re hearing from you, are you suggesting that Bill C-69 be completely done away with, or are you suggesting that we have amendments, or what?

We’re hearing from a wide variety of people in our consultation, so I am just asking for some clarification.

Mr. Helin: Thank you for that question because some of the groups that Vivian Krause referred to were the people who need to be consulted. First Nations who actually have Aboriginal title in the territories are impacted.

It is fine to have somebody from some other territory give their opinion about what is going on in their territory. They have the right to do that, but they don’t have the legal right to do that. It’s like Quebec having the right to veto what goes on in British Columbia, or British Columbia having the right to veto what goes on in Quebec. That’s the way it’s seen.

This whole debate has brought about a lot of divisiveness created by the way the impacted Indigenous people in the territories felt the government had approached this issue. They felt that they were picking winners and losers, when the only people who have real skin in the game and should have legal standing are the people who have Aboriginal title. They are required to be consulted and accommodated under the Constitution.

First Nations people respect the opinions of other groups, but hen your kids are committing suicide because there are no opportunities in the Northern Territory, what somebody else’s opinion says doesn’t count for much.

Senator Cordy: Ms. Krause, this bill tries to be a balance between environmental concerns, energy concerns and Indigenous concerns. You have done a great job of telling us about foreign investment in environmental groups having an influence in Canada. I think that was your point.

When I look at the Fraser Institute, for example, there’s a significant amount of foreign investment in that institute. Just to name a few, many oil companies are partially owned or have funding from outside of the country.

I was left with the impression that you don’t think environmental groups should have any say in this legislation.

Ms. Krause: Absolutely not, no. I do think they should have a say. I just think that there should be transparency about what is actually going on. They are funded to act in concert and funded to be coordinated. They’re funded for things like harmonization of their expectations. Even the First Nations, as part of this, are funded to speak as one voice.

As they say, all voices should be heard. What has been missing in the debate is transparency about what the agendas actually are. I think it is important whether the money is Canadian or from anywhere else when the amount of money is so big. When one foundation is funding everybody around the table, it’s not as if the views you are getting are entirely independent.

Mr. Helin: Before we leave, could I have a chance to add something to that?

The Chair: Very short, please.

Mr. Helin: This isn’t just a problem with American funds coming into Canada. An independent study was done by a congressional committee on the impact of Russian monies coming into the U.S. to suppress or impact the American oil industry. That group concluded that monies were being funnelled from Russia into Canada through some of these environmental groups. It’s an independent study of the U.S. Congress.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:27 PM

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...qXVf8Ti66P1-K0

Protesters blocked access to the Swartz Bay ferry terminal on Monday in support of Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs in northern B.C. who object to a natural gas pipeline through their territory.

The protest, which delayed several sailings, blocked Highway 17 under the Lands End overpass near the terminal. There were also kayaks in the water blocking the vessels, according to B.C. Ferries. Protesters began pulling out of the area around 9 a.m.

The 7 a.m. sailing to Tsawwassen from Swartz Bay left 70 minutes behind schedule, while the 9 a.m. sailing was cancelled.

Vehicles on the stretch of highway leading into the ferry terminal were backed up during the protest.

B.C. RCMP spokesman Cpl. Chris Manseau said Sidney-North Saanich RCMP were at the scene, but “everybody has the right to protest.”

“It’s a very fine line. Obviously this is a very contentious issue.”

The protesters blocked the sailings “to demand respect for Wet’suwet’en sovereignty and oppose the threat of a violent RCMP invasion,” organizers said.

A sign on the overpass read: “Respect Wet’suwet’en.” Other signs read: “Stop Colonial Injunction Pipeline” and “We Stand With the Wet’suwet’en.” Up to 100 people were involved.

The protesters said the blockade was in response to a recent call from the Wet’suwet’en for actions that “shut down rail lines, ports and industrial infrastructure.”

At issue is the proposed Coastal GasLink pipeline that would span 670 kilometres across northern B.C., carrying liquefied natural gas from Dawson Creek to an export terminal at Kitimat.

The Coastal GasLink is part of a $40-billion LNG Canada project and is vital to the region’s economic future, B.C. Premier John Horgan said at a news conference last week.

Horgan has said the pipeline will be built despite the objections of hereditary chiefs from the Wet’suwet’en Nation near Smithers, who say the project does not have their consent.

Horgan told reporters that all the permits are in place for the project to proceed and it has received approval from 20 First Nations along the pipeline route. “The courts have confirmed this project can proceed and it will proceed.”

Kolin Sutherland-Wilson, a spokesman for the protesters at the ferry terminal, said the premier’s position is a sign that “things are just so blatantly going backward.”

“If Indigenous governments are going to be criminalized on their own ceded lands, that’s not reconciliation,” he said. “We have to get out and do what we can.”

The protesters say they targeted B.C. Ferries “because of the corporation’s deepening integration with the liquefied natural gas industry.”

B.C. Ferries has converted two of its ferries so they run on liquefied natural gas and plans to fuel some of its newer vessels with LNG.

ceharnett@timescolonist.com

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-20-2020, 08:59 PM

Any group who blockades and inconveniences travelers to make a point typically makes enemies out of the people that are inconvenienced by them. So darn silly to me and so short sighted.

The police should just arrest these people and nip the silly civil disobedience in the bud.

I am more than happy to protect their rights to protest where they are not a nuisance to the rest of us, not inconveniencing others and where their actions are lawful and respectful. Fill your boots, chirp away, but stand aside please.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Any group who blockades and inconveniences travelers to make a point typically makes enemies out of the people that are inconvenienced by them. So darn silly to me and so short sighted.
Well kinda.
If a group blocks 1000 people one day but gets media coverage out to a million people, and of those million people, 5000 of them become sympathizers to the cause, it’s done it’s job.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Well kinda.
If a group blocks 1000 people one day but gets media coverage out to a million people, and of those million people, 5000 of them become sympathizers to the cause, it’s done it’s job.

But at the same time. they could just as easily turn 5000 people that see the media coverage against them.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
But at the same time. they could just as easily turn 5000 people that see the media coverage against them.
Doesn’t matter. Those 5000 are much louder. They go beyond discussing it with bored retirees on a message board. Lol
Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 AM

I'm not diving into this thread, but I will say that some of the responses have done more to stoke the anti-FN sentiment on this forum than any thread I can remember.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 AM

If we want to follow history, "All" people trace ancestry back to Africa 60,000 years ago. Thus the African heridatory Chiefs have rights to North America as Canada is their ancestarial lands.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm not diving into this thread, but I will say that some of the responses have done more to stoke the anti-FN sentiment on this forum than any thread I can remember.
If thats true maybe they should ask themselves where thier defensiveness is coming from?

Food for thought: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...robin-diangelo
Old 01-21-2020, 11:29 AM

The real sad part of this thread is I bet those defending the FN taking part in this blockade probably don’t even know anyone from this band or has even see the blockade or camp

The BS from those defending these FN is just as thick as some of the statements from the Rebel
Old 01-21-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
If thats true maybe they should ask themselves where thier defensiveness is coming from?

Food for thought: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...robin-diangelo
I read that article. WOW! I can't say anything else.

I found out that racism was invented by white people.

I also found out that I and all white people need to quit our jobs so that other races can control the systemic race problems that exist in our cultures.

I found out that I'm a HD mechanic not because I chose a vocation that suits me and hard work propels me to a place within the industry of "respect" I guess. No. Not at all. I chose to be a HD mechanic to perpetuate racism and to hold white supremacy true.

Very eye-opening. My world has been shattered.