Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 06:59 PM

Default NEW DATES - University of Alberta - CWD Study

I had said that I would report back after participating in the study. There is nothing in this study that is anti hunting or anti gun. In fact it is the opposite. It is a socio-economic study to look at what would encourage more active particiaption by hunters in the control of CWD. There are no questions on one hunting method being better than the other or trophy vs meat. It is an economic decision based computer game tool with random choices - single and group. You input your answers individually on a computer in isolation - no discussion. Questions relate to harvest numbers and potential success rates vs the days you would be willing to spend in the field.

At the end of the economic game there are a series of questions related to hunting asking for input. The questions are again random with not everyone getting the same question. The make up of this study is not for everyone. An open mind to research methods being different is required.

At the end of the computer input their is a presentation by the UA on the state of CWD in the province, what is being done on studies, what is contemplated for hunter assistance in slowing down the spread, what is happening in other provinces, states and countries (recent outbreak in Norway). This session is open for feedback on ideas from hunters on what they would like to see their role as and suggested changes they would like to see.

For those with an open mind to new types of research I would encourage you to contact the University to see if you can participate in a future session. They value the input of the hunting community on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drando77
A team of researchers from the University of Alberta are looking for hunter participants for a study of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) and hunting. The study is about hunting trips and the management of CWD.

Participants will be invited to go to the University of Alberta main campus to do a “hunting decision-making” task on computers, followed by a presentation about our CWD research and discussion about hunting and CWD. The study will be held in the evenings (6:30pm to 8:00pm) on Jan 14 and 15, and later January and will last for around 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Participants will be paid $35 for attending and may earn more from the outcomes of the study (up to an additional $35). They will also cover parking costs for those who drive to campus. Please send an email to uofacwdsurvey@ualberta.ca if you have questions or are interested in joining the study. Thank you for your interest!
Old 01-17-2020, 09:51 PM

Default CWD Study.

I participated in Thursdays session for this study. 2 Tollers gave an excellent re-cap of this survey and how it was conducted.

This is the 2nd survey I have completed and it was completely different this time.

In Dec I had the 2 study leads (Vic and Lusi) come out to our Fish and Game meeting to update us on where there research had led to that point. It provided lots of good information and an excellent discussion evening for our group.

I won't hesitate to participate again should I be requested and I encourage anyone else to take advantage of any opportunity you might have to provide your input. Hunter input can only assist all of us moving forward.

Phil
Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the updates fellas. Sounds like useful research to me, and it is great whenever academia and the boots on the ground hunters meet with open minds and share information. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2020, 11:56 AM

Default Bringing this back up

The UA will be having another round of research opportunities coming up and will post dates to this thread as an update for those that may be interested.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
The UA will be having another round of research opportunities coming up and will post dates to this thread as an update for those that may be interested.
They cancelled the first day I selected to participate, hoping I pick a day they keep.

LC
Old 01-21-2020, 12:24 PM

Default NEW DATES for CWD STUDY

The next tentative sessions are:

Session #1: 02/04/2020 6:30pm;

Session #2: 02/05/2020 6:30pm;

Session #3: 02/08/2020 2:00pm

The location is the same as before: General Services Building 519 Experimental Lab, Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology Department, University of Alberta Main Campus (http://www.campusmap.ualberta.ca/)

Anyone who is interested in attending is to email

uofacwdsurvey@ualberta.ca

This is a good opportunity for input.

As there is some $$ involved for participants here is a repeat of original invitation information

A team of researchers from the University of Alberta are looking for hunter participants for a study of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) and hunting. The study is about hunting trips and the management of CWD.

Participants will be invited to go to the University of Alberta main campus to do a “hunting decision-making” task on computers, followed by a presentation about our CWD research and discussion about hunting and CWD. The study will be held in the evenings (6:30pm to 8:00pm) on Feb 4 and 5, afternoon (2:00pm to 3:30pm) on Feb 8 and future dates and will last for around 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Participants will be paid $35 for attending and may earn more from the outcomes of the study (up to an additional $35). They will also cover parking costs for those who drive to campus.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 01-21-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:13 PM

I emailed them last time and did not get any feedback on when and where to attend.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:29 PM

Good to participate in this stuff if one can make it work