Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 01:26 PM

Default Your I.d scanned to unlock liquor store door.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/s...says-1.4775458
Old 01-20-2020, 01:27 PM

Bout time. Maybe now I’ll allow my daughter to work at the liquor store again.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:42 PM

Great, but it really is unfortunate that our society has come to this

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:43 PM

Call me cynical but it’s kind of like banning guns. If I understand the system correctly,the criminals will still do what they want to do except now they have to steal a wallet first.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:59 PM

Does a copy of your ID go to Nigeria ?
Old 01-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Call me cynical but it’s kind of like banning guns. If I understand the system correctly,the criminals will still do what they want to do except now they have to steal a wallet first.
Well that ups the degree of difficulty a ton I’d say.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:16 PM

Big problem in Manitoba. People just walk into a liquor store and take what they want. It’s a total joke. Some stores have security guards but they were told not to do anything. So now with scanning ID to get in do the criminals just wait to rob you in the parking lot?
Old 01-20-2020, 02:30 PM

This was a big issue in Winnipeg. Groups walking into liquor marts and filling backpacks up and walking out. One young cashier was knocked out one day by some trash bag. The worry with this was like said above, it would cause issues for people in the parking lots instead. I haven't heard much of stores or parking lot issues recently.

It's disgusting to see, very brazen. Seeing that girl get punched just made my blood boil. Worse yet were the guys standing back until one guy stepped in after it was said and done.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:05 PM
Banned

As long as it doesn't become a province wide thing. I'll stick to my local small town stores that are cheaper and still carry good products.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:58 PM

Unfortunately in Manitoba we only have government liquor stores. I can’t see them all going to this set up. I’d like to see these thugs try robbing a liquor store in Louisiana, Mississippi or Texas. And yes the video of that clerk/teller getting punched was very disturbing.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:05 PM

What good will ID scanning do if they simply pop in behind someone else who scanned in themselves? What good will it do against using stolen ID?

The solution here is clear, and its not making things more difficult for the law-abiding, its keeping the criminals incarcerated. Remember, these types of proposals are from the same crowd that thinks C-75 is a good idea, Gladue considerations will help anyone (general public, victim or offender) and that taking away guns from the law abiding will somehow change how criminals misuse them.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
.......and that taking away guns from the law abiding will somehow change how criminals misuse them.
Wouldn't bother my behind any if liquor store clerks were allowed to 'pack heat' under the counter and allowed to protect their property with a few bullets for scum and lowlife that are "entitled" and "can't help it" for being losers in life.
Time is long overdue for a "reset" in our society - when common sense might prevail again.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Wouldn't bother my behind any if liquor store clerks were allowed to 'pack heat' under the counter and allowed to protect their property with a few bullets for scum and lowlife that are "entitled" and "can't help it" for being losers in life.
Time is long overdue for a "reset" in our society - when common sense might prevail again.
Keep dreaming!
Old 01-20-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser;4096604[B
What good will ID] scanning do if they simply pop in behind someone else who scanned in themselves?[/B] What good will it do against using stolen ID?

The solution here is clear, and its not making things more difficult for the law-abiding, its keeping the criminals incarcerated. Remember, these types of proposals are from the same crowd that thinks C-75 is a good idea, Gladue considerations will help anyone (general public, victim or offender) and that taking away guns from the law abiding will somehow change how criminals misuse them.
Likely a 2 door system like the gun shop I visited in Vancouver.One person enters at a time door locks behind them. After the ID requirement is made then they buzz you in the next door. No push bars. Both controlled electrically from inside the store.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Likely a 2 door system like the gun shop I visited in Vancouver.One person enters at a time door locks behind them. After the ID requirement is made then they buzz you in the next door. No push bars. Both controlled electrically from inside the store.
Sounds like an ideal world. Lets do that instead of imprisoning criminals
Old 01-20-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Lets do that instead of imprisoning criminals
We can't imprison criminals!

The sjws an bleeding-heart libs might think its 'cruel and unusual' punishment!!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Great, but it really is unfortunate that our society has come to this
Back in Social Credit days you had to ask a clerk to get you the bottle. People will just go to another store, no shortage to pick from. It's about convenience.

Grizz
Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 AM

We need this for pot stores

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I can see it now...

Customer struggles to open 1st door, fumbles for I.D....scans old Blockbuster card...store attendant or "Bong-ista" says something unintelligible through intercom....customer, after moments of confusion, finds proper I.D...scans it...door buzzes...customer doesn't push in time, process starts over again and repeats several times...customer returns to car, tells buddy "I think they're closed, let's go to Jimmy's, his is cheaper anyways".
Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 AM

Indoor drive-thru Secure wall of vending machines for liquor and pot faced with plexiglass located in police stations.Swipe your payment card-press your selection# and bottle is robotically picked and delivered in a secure slot passed into your vehicle and you drive away-Safe and secure
% of sales go to Policing to supplement costs and reduce City Budgets.

Last edited by omega50; 01-21-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Really? Would you care to explain further?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:06 AM

It's about time something is done.

I live on an acreage, and there is a liquor store a quarter of a mile away. Since the day they opened, over 20 years ago, there have been dozens of armed robberies. Once I woke up a 1 am to get a drink of water, and saw the cops in the empty lot across the road with flashlights looking for somebody. Another time, we came home at 8pm, police had our subdivision blocked off. I told him I lived right over there, and he said they were looking for a suspect but we would be safe. They still didn't have the guy so we didn't feel safe. Was an awkward conversation.

Spoke to the liquor store owner ten years ago. Had so many armed robberies she couldn't count how many. One that stood out was when they tied up the employee, roughed her up and then looted the store and till. Her husband came by a half hour after she should have been home and found her. She was ok, but she never came back ever again. Can't blame her.

Looked up the facebook page for that store recently, its only used to identify suspects from their security camera footage. Disgusting.

Would rather not have that store there at all myself.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 AM

Bars in Edmonton have had this tech for probably nearly a decade now. Scan your ID before you're allowed in. If someone causes trouble, they kick you out and you get a bar ban on your ID. Try to come in before your bar ban is up and they refuse entry once you scan your ID. Works well.

That said, I don't need the info collection (I would be SHOCKED to find out they are not selling your data) about my liquor store habits, so I will avoid stores that do this at all cost. Ya sure they're only storing the info locally and securely for 90 days... This sort of data has immense value and it has been shown large corps don't give a **** about privacy laws when there is good money to be made.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
What good will ID scanning do if they simply pop in behind someone else who scanned in themselves? What good will it do against using stolen ID?

This exactly.

If you go into Discount Liquor they have a wall of shame filled with pictures. They are 95% women, about 40 of them. All of them, and I mean every single one of them live north of Lloydminster.

People know there are no consequences for petty theft.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-21-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Very good thoughts here! A very sad day when thugs and lowlifes have more rights than hard working law abiding citizens on the street. Even if the card swipe system is perfected, the scum will beat up customers leaving with booze and rob them. They always look for the weakest link.

We may be approaching critical mass. More and more people have had enough!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Really? Would you care to explain further?
This hurt your feelings in some way? Weird trigger.

I would guess he is eluding to the thefts of cash.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-21-2020, 04:15 PM

In real life, where most of us are paid to SOLVE problems we use common sense and other methods to determine the ROOT CAUSE and take action to fix and prevent reoccurrence. Logical Right?

So let's look at this issue …… liquor stores are getting ripped off by crooks …… so they are installing security measures …….. to me it sounds like the crooks are the root cause and they need to be "fixed".

All these measures we seem to be taking needs to be solved through legislation so our justice system sends these criminals to jail and keeps them there long enough. If they keep doing things like that - then they should get locked up and never see the light of day ….. ever.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Very good thoughts here! A very sad day when thugs and lowlifes have more rights than hard working law abiding citizens on the street. We may be approaching critical mass. More and more people have had enough!
Unfortunately, the "powers that be" are not interested in keeping the criminals behind bars. I have had enough, as you say, but the voters in Ontario and Quebec have not, apparently. I wish we elected judges locally as they do in many places in the USA so that we had some clout to get longer sentences, without parole (know that's impossible), and some kind of workable three strikes and you're in for a long time system.

I know we have to address the underlying conditions of poverty and dysfunctional families. However, the people who do the crime should still do the time, as they say.

I feel completely powerless to change things, especially as long as our Prime Minister is a rich guy who has never known what it's like to work for a living and has 24 hour a day police protection.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Unfortunately, the "powers that be" are not interested in keeping the criminals behind bars. I have had enough, as you say, but the voters in Ontario and Quebec have not, apparently. I wish we elected judges locally as they do in many places in the USA so that we had some clout to get longer sentences, without parole (know that's impossible), and some kind of workable three strikes and you're in for a long time system.

I know we have to address the underlying conditions of poverty and dysfunctional families. However, the people who do the crime should still do the time, as they say.

I feel completely powerless to change things, especially as long as our Prime Minister is a rich guy who has never known what it's like to work for a living and has 24 hour a day police protection.
When I say people have had enough, I mean they are ready to take care of business themselves! No police, no judge, just "justice". Voters do not enter the picture.