Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Calgary District Shooters get a new range.

Rumor has it from various reliable sources that the Calgary District Shooters are getting a new range in the Milo area. The current Sheppard Range is getting squeezed out by residential and industrial development. From what I've heard, the new range will accommodate 400 yards. This is very good news indeed. This range will be within reasonable distance from my location. I also hear that current members of Sheppard will be grandfathered to the new range, rightfully so. But I would like to know what steps I need to take to ensure membership.

Also, for anyone in the know, will the range include shotguns and handguns? I've also heard that the benches are scheduled for completion this spring. I'd like to get some more information if anyone is in the know. Will volunteers be required to ensure timely completion? etc. etc.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Details are on their website, targeted to open late summer if all goes well.

2013 memberships are already sold out....but I got a voice mail and I got one for my move to Okotoks this summer
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Details are on their website, targeted to open late summer if all goes well.

2013 memberships are already sold out....but I got a voice mail and I got one for my move to Okotoks this summer
Welcome to our area, you're gonna enjoy the fair weather I'm sure. So, if membership are sold out, am I likely not able to join up? Maybe you can put in a good word for me?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 PM

Their site says they are closed for 2013. I submitted an application late last year. They gave old members January to renew, then went through their wait list for new members in early Feb.

Watch their site, in the Fall they post the application form, get in early.

Looking forward to the weather, although we enjoy living here, getting tired of talking to co-workers in Calgary complaining of all the brown grass.........up to our necks in snow here, I like winter but we've had white since early Oct...getting old fast!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Their site says they are closed for 2013. I submitted an application late last year. They gave old members January to renew, then went through their wait list for new members in early Feb.

Watch their site, in the Fall they post the application form, get in early.

Looking forward to the weather, although we enjoy living here, getting tired of talking to co-workers in Calgary complaining of all the brown grass.........up to our necks in snow here, I like winter but we've had white since early Oct...getting old fast!
Realize something, the brown grass is underneath the white snow. The grass here goes green in March/April, in Ft Mac, still white. Anyhow, welcome south bud. We're in a gopher shoot match in April.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM

So how does one get into this club? Live close by and would like to join. They only have limit number of members?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
...We're in a gopher shoot match in April.
Who is this "we" you speak of and how does one become a member of this group??

I Love getting on the goohers.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Default The gopher shoot.

It is by no meams a secretive society you guys. This shoot has been an annual event for a great many years and you don't have to be a member of the Claresholm gun club. Entry fee is $200.00 for a four man/lady team. You are alocated a quarter or two from a local land owner. At the end of the day, your tails are counted and you win in accordance to how many tails your team brings in. At day's end, we have a BBQ and awards winning. It is a fun event. Our shooters this year counted enough to make 4 teams. I can find out if there are enough openings left,,, but I doubt it as this is quite popular. Let me know if you want in FAF,,,, maybe I can get you a spot. BTW,, the winning team can score up to a grand... BTW it's called the Doug Helber Memorial Gopher Derby.