Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM

Default Where to start with factory .308 ammo

Hi all,

sorry if this is a topic done to death, but a quick search didn't turn anything up for me....

I'm expecting my new .308 x-bolt in the next couple or three weeks and want to be ready to be ready to take advantage of the first bit of decent weather to sight it in and start to see what I can get to group well in it...

,,,as well as just get to learn the rifle and get comfortable shooting it. This will be my first bolt action hunting rifle and I'm now super pumped for this fall (I feel like I'm almost wishing the summer away, lol.)

I'll be using factory made ammo as I'm a little ways out from reloading yet.

I'll be hunting only deer and don't expect to take any shots beyond 200 yards at this point - both because of the areas I'll be hunting and my comfort level with the rifles I've had a chance to fire up to this point.

I'd love to buy one box of everything I could get my hands on, but that's not an option. What four or five types of ammo would you suggest?

My missus's father threw me a couple boxes of 150gr remington core lokt and 150 r federal power shoks to celebrate the new purchase, so I've got those budget ammos covered.

If one of those is what my (soon to come) rifle likes, I'd love it as the price is right.

That being said, I'm not against paying more for quality that I notice. (A quick look at the core lokts kind of scared me in terms of at least superficial quality control -the brass is ugly lookin' and no two tips are anything alike.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always and the best to you all,

BMD
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 PM

Try to find yourself a couple boxes Hornady....Interbond, Interlock, or SST. They are reasonably priced, accurate and effective.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM

^^^Nothing wrong with the above post. I'd also try some nosler partitions in federal premium. A lot of deer have been taken by partitions.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfloat View Post
Try to find yourself a couple boxes Hornady....Interbond, Interlock, or SST. They are reasonably priced, accurate and effective.
x2 They are better priced than the other premium bullets and are very good quality. As also stated try out the premium federals, maybe shoot the low end labels like Winchester Super-X, Remington, Federal Fusions, etc.

Best bullet for your buck is the Hornady's though IMO.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM

Default Winchester Power-Max

You might want to try the Winchester Power-Max bonded. 21 bucks or so at Wal-Mart. Very good weight retention in an affordable load! I would have said Federal Power Shocks but you have that covered. Another good one to try would be the Federal Fusion.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
My missus's father threw me a couple boxes of 150gr remington core lokt and 150 r federal power shoks to celebrate the new purchase, so I've got those budget ammos covered.
Nothing wrong with the remington core lokt you got. I have used those loads in my 280 for years and have had great success taking Deer, Elk, Bear and Moose. It's all about sot placement rather than bullet.

Here's a recovered round from my Elk

Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
It's all about sot placement rather than bullet.
... lets say both..
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM

If you are only going to be going after deer then what you have on hand is a good place to start. I shoot Sierra 165 game kings out of my 308 and they preformed well on deer this year. I like 165 grain in a 308 unless I was shooting Barnes then Id go with a 150 grain.

For the money Federal Fusion are a great deer round and alot of guys have good luck with them shooting well out of their guns.

If you are looking to have an elk or moose tag in your pocket Id be stepping up to a premium bullet like a Nosler Partition or a Barnes.

Good luck with your new rifle!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSako View Post
... lets say both..
Thousands and thousands of animals were killed prior to premium ammunition being available in factory loads. Do you think your grandpa and his friends were disscussing which was the best bullet for taking down moose when they started hunting. i don't think so, they just grabbed what ever was handy, even if it was off the shop floor and went hunting.

If you take any factory loaded ammo for a 30-06 for example and put it through the lungs of a animal its going to die. Doesnt matter if its Fusion soft point or Nosler Partion its going to die with shot placement.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies and all of the suggestions! The plan is to empty the boxes I've been given and then do the same with three or four more different types of ammo before the fall.

Before then, I'm hoping a little research on factory loads will keep my mind off the impending arrival of the new boom stick so I don't get my phone number blocked by my local shop....

Once it's here I'll sight in; shoot some groups; practice standing; standing with sling to steady; kneeling - then rinse and repeat with a different load.

That should keep me happy until its time to put it into proper use.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and feel free to keep 'em coming!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Default Federal Blue Box

I have shot a fair amount of targets with the cheap Federal blue box ammo, scoop up all of your Canadian Tire money and go grab a couple of boxes. FS
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Picked up a few cases of WW 150g power points from wholesale. They are moa in my 760 pump out to 300yds. Price was right.