Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Load density

My 243 win loaded with a 95 gr nosler bt behind around 41 grains of H4350 gives me roughly 80% load density. 2.710" oal
This load is accurate and am happy with it and not wanting to switch powders.
My question is, is there any type of filler I can use to increase the load density to keep as much of the powder against the primer. I've read a pinch of toilet paper works as a filler ??
Should I even be worried about it ? Is using a filler a dumb idea.
Any information or advise would be appreciated, thanks for your time.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM

If you are happy with that load, go with it. Nothing wrong with 80% density if it is shooting well. If you do try a powder change, try Varget
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM

You won't gain any accuracy using 80% density and a filler.
I would do some testing wit diffetrent overal lengths in .010 increments, shorter and longer, to see which length is more accurate.
Cat
Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 PM

I had an error in my first post, it should of said 90% load density NOT 80%. I didn't catch that earlier.
Thanks for reply's
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
If you are happy with that load, go with it. Nothing wrong with 80% density if it is shooting well. If you do try a powder change, try Varget
Varget is a faster burning powder, therefore will not fill as much of the case as 4350. You could try h-1000. That should fill her up.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM

90% full is fine and will give you a consistent burn. I generally try for 90+% fill but seldom compress.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM

This thread got me wondering about shooting on a steep vertical angle downhill if there would be any effect due to a gap between the primer and the powder on loads that were say 80 percent case capacity? Would the small gap between the powder and the primer change anything? Do I over think stuff? Hmmm. Interesting.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
This thread got me wondering about shooting on a steep vertical angle downhill if there would be any effect due to a gap between the primer and the powder on loads that were say 80 percent case capacity? Would the small gap between the powder and the primer change anything? Do I over think stuff? Hmmm. Interesting.
You won't see any issues that will effect the accuracy of an 80% load of 4350 in the 243.
Cat
Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I wouldn't think the ignition would be that much different, more of a problem would be your holdover in that situation.