Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM

Default Rob Furlong opening a shooting school in Edmonton

Good for him, and best of luck to him!

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...12-170553.html
Old 02-13-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
It was in the paper two weeks ago. His EPS dismissal was public knowledge.
Link please. Don't doubt you but always back yourself up, if you can.

All the best to him. Seems like he may be looking for a home.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Older article:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...648/story.html
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM

If it was already public knowledge than I'll retract my statement; perhaps he'll find better success in the private sector being self-employed. One would imagine if he has any chops in sales, he might find work as a sales rep for McMillan . I imagine the much busier US defense contractor type training centers might like to have a big-name teacher in for the draw that would be to fill classes.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Hmmm. Any idea what the school is called? They don't mention it in the article. I have a stock Rem700 SPS Tactical that shoots better than my current skill level. I'd sure like to learn some tips on how to get better use out of it and me. The thing holding the rifle back appears to be me. I was thinking about Magpul's video course, but hands on is always better. Just a bit hard up here in dense bush country to find somewhere to shoot long (600yd+ stuff).
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
Hmmm. Any idea what the school is called? They don't mention it in the article. I have a stock Rem700 SPS Tactical that shoots better than my current skill level. I'd sure like to learn some tips on how to get better use out of it and me. The thing holding the rifle back appears to be me. I was thinking about Magpul's video course, but hands on is always better. Just a bit hard up here in dense bush country to find somewhere to shoot long (600yd+ stuff).
http://www.robfurlong.com/

Good on him!

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah not sure how many Alberta moose hunters will enroll themselves in Rob's course.
There are plenty of people that enjoy shooting, regardless is they hunt. I think he'll do just fine, long range shooting has become popular.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah not sure how many Alberta moose hunters will enroll themselves in Rob's course.
LOL. I get your point - mall ninja snipers....
I actually moose hunt but here a long shot is 2-250 yards. Most are in the 1-150yds range. Personally I won't shoot unless I am certain of a quick kill. I can always practice my stalking skills in the supermarket meat counter.
I, personally, just enjoy the shooting sport. Some people golf, some play chess. I like to make the holes as close together as possible. Wether it's with my grandfathers repeater .22, a handgun, or a rifle. I find relaxation in the concentration needed to make "that shot". I find if you are concentrating on the mechanics of accurate shooting, you are not thinking about your daily grind. I'm what I consider a fairly reasonable shot, but would like to be better.
Really, it depends on what he charges. I'm just a middle class guy with family, mortgage and bills. As with a lot of things, his skills and teachings may just be out of my financial reach. If so, I'll just keep plinking.
The only golfing I like is shooting/chasing a golfball around with a .22 rifle.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I see a guy who acted like a drunk, while he was drunk. The rest of the article is also rather interesting.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
There are plenty of people that enjoy shooting, regardless is they hunt. I think he'll do just fine, long range shooting has become popular.
I would think he could teach a course that would benefit any hunter or shooter. I've never had a minute of shooting instruction. I'm not interested in becoming a sniper or taking 900 yard shots across valleys at sheep, but to become a bit better at 300 yards? Sure, as long as the course wasn't an arm and a leg in cost.

Can't imagine it could be a full-time job for him. But perhaps contract to various forces, etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I see a guy who acted like a drunk, while he was drunk. The rest of the article is also rather interesting.
Hmmm, I would not question Cpl Furlong's skills or qualifications for a long range shooting instructor, that's for sure - as a Human recources person ? ummmm.........
Cat
Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM

I believe he is currently the sales rep for Korth Agencies too.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Sounded like frat-boy behavior, one would think he'd have outgrown that by now; that being said, it wasn't on-duty behavior, but obviously not respectful to his fellow officer and certainly a poor choice of actions. I'd personally be hard pressed to take away a fellows career for such an event, but obviously I don't know all the circumstances. That being said I still wish him well, he did very well in Afghanistan for Canada and our allies, and that earns a fellow some substantial Brownie points in my books.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-13-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM

Default I'm shocked sir! Shocked!

As a former Canadian soldier I can't believe Mr. Furlong would act in any manner other than that of a gentleman!

Seriously though, best of luck to a Canadian soldier who accomplished what only a handfull of people have.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM

Would love to meet you Rob and listen to your instruction .. even a old dog like me can learn some new tricks.. in Alberta u say

thanks for keeping your love of Long Range Shooting

in my day why did everyone want to f--- with my hair ..roflmao

user20496_pic2775_1299197602.jpg

user20496_pic2790_1299800610.jpg

David
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Would love to meet you Rob and listen to your instruction .. even a old dog like me can learn some new tricks.. in Alberta u say

thanks for keeping your love of Long Range Shooting

in my day why did everyone want to f--- with my hair ..roflmao

Attachment 67779

Attachment 67780

David
Were you another character in 'Anchorman' who wound up on the editing room floor?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Were you another character in 'Anchorman' who wound up on the editing room floor?
nahh WKRP in Cincinnati

Haaaaa haaaa

David
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM

The second pic is more channeling Boogie Nights anyways.....
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 PM

Was trying to deflect the negative comments about Rob as we all have had our bad days

even Jesus said let the person who has no sin's cast the first rock and no one threw a rock

Food for Thought
David
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM

During my years as Principal, I participated in several "reference" interviews for (former) students applying to get into LE positions...and I always spoke well of those who had a "bit of an edge". Canadian Forces and LE Services do not recruit choir boys, nor should they unless their primary purpose is singing hymns. Yes, sometimes stupid things happen when alcohol is involved when it gets mixed with guys with a bit of edge. Sounds like in this case, only feelings were hurt ...time heals. I say move on. Best of luck for Rob is this new endeavor.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 AM

I think that Rob is a Leupold rep. I met him several times before I found out that he was that Rob Furlong. Very pleasant to deal with.

Last edited by covey ridge; 02-14-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Was trying to deflect the negative comments about Rob as we all have had our bad days

even Jesus said let the person who has no sin's cast the first rock and no one threw a rock

Food for Thought
David
I agree. Rob's long range record took a life, and though not an excuse, many men would have spilled quite a bit of alcohol and urine to get over the blood letting. I do hope Rob finds peace in whatever he chooses to do with his life.
I wish him all of the best.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
As a man who is going through a divorce I know that this can have an effect on my PAL renewal. What reprucussions does an individual face who is going to make a living with firearms and instructing fireams safety and whatnot that has a publicized problem with alcohol???
There's no question on the renewal form regarding rowdy behavior, so none, I would think. It's up to a judge to impose a firearms ban on someone who has acted up. Is divorce an automatic PAL disqualification? If so it shouldn't be in my view.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM

just have to get the ex to sign PAL renewal . Shouldn't be an issue
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I think that Rob is a Leupold rep. I met him several times before I found out that he was that Rob Furlong. Very pleasant to deal with.
x2 I think it is the same guy

He helped me get an old battered Leupold sent off for repair.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Its a question asked on the renewal. At least it was the last time I renewed. Can't see it being an issue compared to what we are discussing in this thread.
Yes, IIRC, divorce, job loss, financial loss, and diagnosis of a mental disorder are all questions on the form. If your ex has an axe to grind with you, I'd assume you are hooped.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
alcohol problem and sketchy rep among workforce peers
Hey, start screening for that and Rob can shut down the hunting and guns and ammo threads on this forum. Will be too few members to post.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Have none of you guys played hockey? Way worse stuff goes on in your kids dressing rooms with no alcohol involved. The proper response for the guy that got ****ed on would have been to punch the guy out and continue about his business not drag a war hero's name through the mud. It's great for cowards to judge the acts of men that volunteered to go off to war and serve there country, and may have came back a little off (not saying Furlong did I don't know the man). Give your heads a shake fellas jeebus cripes
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Yes those that have ex's with axes to grind would be hooped!! But a fella with an alcohol problem and sketchy rep among workforce peers in law enforcement can open a firearms school. LOL what an amazing system....
Seems to me your quarrel is with the system, not Mr. Furlong. In my view most of the firearms law Legislated in C-68 was mostly feel good law that does little to enhance public safety. Unfortunately it's still the law of the land. Best of luck to you though.

Last edited by TomCanuck; 02-14-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
He had a history of SEVERAL disciplinary infractions with the EPS. If I admitted to the CFC I was an alcoholic and had trouble with liquor I know for a fact my renewal would be in jeopardy. But an individual ousted by a law enforcement agency for that fact can open a firearms school? Hmmmmm....... The system is all about double standards me thinks.....
If you spent a little more time working on your admitted lack of self control maybe you wouldn't be in your current predicament
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Closed Thread