Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Default Have glasses, want scope

Hi all,

For some reason I have a hard time looking through scopes with my glasses on! Does anyone have any tips or tricks or ideas for scopes that work really well with people with glasses?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Default If I have time

I take my glasses off for shooting as with the magnification of scope I have better vison without glasses. Some times if I am hurrying to take a shot at a coyote or deer I dont have time to take the glasses off so just shoot. My glasses go way too dark in sunlight so I dont like to shoot with them.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM

My biggest problem is fogging. Then its looking too close to the top of my glasses. If you have this problem you may be crawling up the stock with the scope too far forward. I have my scopes set back so i can keep:-)my head upright. Dont know the exact nature of your problem
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outy girl View Post
Hi all,

For some reason I have a hard time looking through scopes with my glasses on! Does anyone have any tips or tricks or ideas for scopes that work really well with people with glasses?
Pick one that has a long, consistant eye relief. The Zeiss Conquest comes to mind as one brand / model.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I take my glasses off for shooting as with the magnification of scope I have better vison without glasses. Some times if I am hurrying to take a shot at a coyote or deer I dont have time to take the glasses off so just shoot. My glasses go way too dark in sunlight so I dont like to shoot with them.
x2, I just take them off when I am going to shoulder my rifle. If I need to make a quick shot, it is also usually a close shot and the glasses do not bother me so much.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM

I finally succumbed and bought contacts a couple years ago, at the request of my fiancee... They're actually cheaper in the long run (depending on what sort of benefits you have, of course). I can leave them in for 18 hours or more, and best of all they don't fog up, obviously. I'd suggest looking into it
Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

When wearing glasses...
Bigger the Eye Relief on the scope, I found works better...
But up comes the $$$$$$
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDaLeonardo View Post
I finally succumbed and bought contacts a couple years ago... ...I can leave them in for 18 hours or more, and best of all they don't fog up, obviously.
Same here. I've had times where the extreme cold made glasses virtually unusable due to fogging. Contacts are a pain to fiddle with when you're in camp, but for me they're worth it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM

Thanks!!
I find that I cant get close enough to the scope, and I usually see the black and not the picture I am looking at if that makes any sense!! I tried contacts a while ago but they are uncomfortable because I have astigmatism.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM

Make sure to adjust the diopter on the scope. I wear glasses because Iam blind without them and have never had any serious problems with a quality scope.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!
I find that I cant get close enough to the scope, and I usually see the black and not the picture I am looking at if that makes any sense!! I tried contacts a while ago but they are uncomfortable because I have astigmatism.
Ahh... I'd try looking in to anti-fogging wipes or sprays for regular glasses, along with an extra long eye-relief scope, with a quality focusing mechanism. Maybe that would do it for ya.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Laser eye surgery - makes all the difference in the world.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Haha funny you should mention that watched the 16:9 the other day on laser surgery, it aint what its cracked up to be

For me im blind without my glasses, cant see very well. Steep corneas so everything is blurry. I find that I have the time to take em off when it comes time for the shot.

Its not much help, but just saying what I do
Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Set up and adjust the scope with your glasses on. It has worked good for about 45 years.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
this^^

i did the contact thing for a few years....it sucks.

If you are a candidate for lasik go get it done....money well spent.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM

My lasereye surgery worked excellent but i only did one eye so i could still read out the other eye. I shoot from my crappy eye though so still:-)require glasses. O. P. Seems to have an eye relief problem i have that problem i cant set scopes back far enough. My burris eurodiamond works well because it is so long. My bushnell 6500 has long eye relief but it has other issues i dont really like. I swithed my weatherby extension ring to the front so i could move the scope back. If you can gain an inch or two with different scope or mount it:-)could make a big difference
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM

OP; I found the nikon omega to have a fairly long eye relief and suited my needs as I too have to wear glasses.

-Teddy Roosevelt
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Actually the scope/glasses thing is partly due to her body size trying to shoot a rifle setup for me, she's 5'4 I'm 6'1"...

We will go check out a conquest next time we to to GP, I'm trying to find a fairly straight comb stock with adjustable cheek piece for her as we decided that its time for her to have her own rifle so it fits her... I'd like to get my hands on a McMillan TPR with savage inletting as it looks like it would fit her like a glove.

I have a 24" Shilen varmint contour in 7-08 coming in the mail... If I can find a scope that's in the 4-12 power range for her that sits in low rings on a Salvage action with a straight comb stock to keep her cheek where it needs to be I'm sure she will be a happy girl.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!
If you are seeing black,the scope is to far back or to far forward. How do you set your scopes while wearing glasses? Its probably not a problem with your glasses,but a problem with your rifle handling skills.A different scope probably wont make a difference,but how you hold a rifle will.Maybe also the stock is to long for you ( or short)and that you cant use the minimum (max)amount of eye relief. I am very astigmatic,and never had a problem with a scope.

Contacts wont make a difference in astigmatism if you have a good eye doctor.As for laser surgery and stuff like that...hows about you post a pic of you shooting? I wear contacts every day,the only thing I have found is that i get older I might have to adjust my rear lens on my scope so that the crosshairs are always black and sharp defined when I throw any of my rifles up to my shoulder....

As for a fella up above that stated he can wear his contacts for 18 hours a day...DONT...I am down that road with this.The problem with that is that you are cutting off oxygen and blood supply to your eyes. In return your eyes wll start to try and build new blood vessels to supply them.The vessels can burst on you causing all sorts of problems.Take your contacts out when you get home,store them, then put them in the next day..That way your eyes arent sealed off and fresh oxygen is getting to them. Also DONT sleep with them in...When you sleep with a contact in,even though you might wake up at 3 am,your eyes arent getting the air they need...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Actually the scope/glasses thing is partly due to her body size trying to shoot a rifle setup for me, she's 5'4 I'm 6'1"...

We will go check out a conquest next time we to to GP, I'm trying to find a fairly straight comb stock with adjustable cheek piece for her as we decided that its time for her to have her own rifle so it fits her... I'd like to get my hands on a McMillan TPR with savage inletting as it looks like it would fit her like a glove.

I have a 24" Shilen varmint contour in 7-08 coming in the mail... If I can find a scope that's in the 4-12 power range for her that sits in low rings on a Salvage action with a straight comb stock to keep her cheek where it needs to be I'm sure she will be a happy girl.
Do this...Take a tape measure and measure down from your arm pit to the end of your fingers on your shooting side( if you are both right handed) Now measure her...Notice the difference? She is way shorter. The stock is probably to long for her,the scope is set forward to accomadate you,the lop is to much for her...ETC ETC,,
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM

I have astigmatism and never wore glasses till about age 25. I had a lot of trouble looking through a scope at first. I would see a second set of crosshairs in the upper left part of the scope. This was with several different scpoes adjusting the focus did not fix this. I can't explain this but with practise I found that with holding my head in just the right position I could get a clear sight picture it took a while to figure it out though. I can't explain why my glasses caused this but that's how it is. When I wear contacts its like shooting with the naked eye. Glasses suck but I don't look so good without them.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!
I have an astigmatism in my left eye. And I wear contacts. My left contact is WAY different then my right. But they DO have contacts that correct astigmatism.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM

Default scope

hello outy girl , if u r seeing black in ur scope its not set right for u . u need to set eye relief and set the clarity on the eye piece . also try shooting with both eyes open may help . i find i have to push my glasses up alittle to center them to my eye and the scope and also had to adjust cheek position alittle on the stock , all this combined with lots of practice has solved all my problems .
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Leupold has long eye relief, works well with my glasses
Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM

I've had glasses since I was 19, that's the same time I got serious about shooting. Larger lensed glasses are far better for shooting, those teeny lensed Ben Franklins are nothing but a pain for shooting. And don't try any sort of progressive or bi-focal lens either, it will drive you nuts trying to stay in the distance portion of those lenses!
Single prescription for distance only for me, and it don't matter if it's glasses or contacts! And I never noticed any specific brand of scope to be better or worse for glasses.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Likewise, I have been wearing glasses for fifty years and shooting with a scope for about the same length of time. I've never had any trouble
Girls frequently have some trouble in this regard and often for the reason identified here; the rifle and scope are set up for someone who is taller and longer of arm and who holds a rifle differently. I think women are often handicapped from the start this way. If the rifle is set up for one of their stature, everything will work much better. Leeper
Old 02-15-2013, 02:38 AM

I do not know how to do to make my glasses with a snug fit to face any fog? It seems that they have special holes for ventilation, but they do not help.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM

My experience is that there is no 100%fog proof solution for glasses.
At work we went to sealed safety eyewear(foggles), the company touted a certain product for an anti fog solution, it did as advertised, the glasses never fogged, instead the moisture simply built up till it resembled a shower stall door!
The company has since eased the sealed solution since it introduced new hazards and set backs.
Unfortunately fogging of glasses is a reality, if it is that bad for you you'll have seek other options I'm afraid.

There are no absolutes