Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm a huge fan of the full size Buck Vantage series, in their S30V offerings.
Which buck has the s30v steel? Both my buck vantage blades are 440hc. Even still they are one of my fave edcs

****EDIT**** never mind Caber a quick search and i found it. Its tge vantage pro version....might have to get a new knife now
Old 02-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Obsessed1
Which buck has the s30v steel? Both my buck vantage blades are 440hc. Even still they are one of my fave edcs

================================================

https://www.google.ca/search?biw=134...5MdbycXNVe5vM:

Actually Buck and other manufacturers makes a number of their lower models with 440 type steel and in addition they also make the higher S30V as well.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 02-17-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post

****EDIT**** never mind Caber a quick search and i found it. Its tge vantage pro version....might have to get a new knife now
I have a few in S30V, I actually got some laser engraved as my premium corporate swag. Cabela's has one in an Alaska Guide model (btw: PVC primer and elbow grease takes of the goofy Cabela's logo, I think I used a scotch brite pad along with it). There are also some others currently. Vantage Pro, Vantage Force Pro. If you don't mind used or models out of production there's always eBay or similar sites to shop for discontinued models. I also have an two older ones that used a Sandvik 13C26 steel, one with salt & pepper laminate scales is my primary EDC and the other is missing but it's somewhere in the house! The Sandvik 13C26 steel is better than the 440 and darn close to an equivalent to the S30V by my laymans account, and I even use it for reaming copper pipe burrs from time to time! Just inspect the knife you get for how well the liner lock engages, some are inconsistent and might either be loosely engaged (blade rattles) or somewhat close to the edge for confidence about a full lock up.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I have a few in S30V, I actually got some laser engraved as my premium corporate swag. Cabela's has one in an Alaska Guide model (btw: PVC primer and elbow grease takes of the goofy Cabela's logo, I think I used a scotch brite pad along with it). There are also some others currently. Vantage Pro, Vantage Force Pro. If you don't mind used or models out of production there's always eBay or similar sites to shop for discontinued models. I also have an two older ones that used a Sandvik 13C26 steel, one with salt & pepper laminate scales is my primary EDC and the other is missing but it's somewhere in the house! The Sandvik 13C26 steel is better than the 440 and darn close to an equivalent to the S30V by my laymans account, and I even use it for reaming copper pipe burrs from time to time! Just inspect the knife you get for how well the liner lock engages, some are inconsistent and might either be loosely engaged (blade rattles) or somewhat close to the edge for confidence about a full lock up.

In the last five years or so the quality of steel has risen so much that to the layman feel, it is near impossible to tell the difference.

I will say this though, trying to sharpen the real hard steel can be a challenge.....For me a hard steel reacts better to a strop; just don't wait for a long time between sharpening.

http://knifeinformer.com/discovering...t-knife-steel/

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I like the Benchmade stuff but it all seems sold out.
Recently discovered Benchmade knives picked up a crooked creek and a bugout. Both awesome knives but the reason their folders are sold out everywhere is because we won’t be getting anymore in Canada. Or any other cool folders if you got one you’ve been eyeing buy now
Old 02-17-2018, 10:14 AM

Default Swiss Army Explorer

I've had mine over thirty years, Lost it once, my wife found it for me a few months later after I had bought a replacement, (not an explorer). Put the new one away and went back to old faithful, It's had the small blade broke from using it as a pry bar, repaired one and replaced the other side plate, with epoxy. I am lost without it. Magnifying glass is the seller.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Recently discovered Benchmade knives picked up a crooked creek and a bugout. Both awesome knives but the reason their folders are sold out everywhere is because we won’t be getting anymore in Canada. Or any other cool folders if you got one you’ve been eyeing buy now
Yep. The Zero Tolerance website states that their new folders are not available for sale to Canada. That's a shame because the new models that will be coming
out a little later this year look amazing. I'm guessing that the specialty knife
shops are going to take quite a hit from the lost sales of these premium knives.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Yep. The Zero Tolerance website states that their new folders are not available for sale to Canada. That's a shame because the new models that will be coming
out a little later this year look amazing. I'm guessing that the specialty knife
shops are going to take quite a hit from the lost sales of these premium knives.
Knife store in Calgary just had a shipment of 33 knives seized and classified as "gravity knives"

Really tight pivots or disassembled knives should make it through no problem as long as they aren't actually prohibited.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:18 PM

These new knife prohibitions are absurd, if one walks into Home Depot you see tool display pegs chock full of utility knives advertised as flip open designs: Milwaukee, DeWalt, others I'm sure as well. Again, the government is putting forth their 'solution' to a problem that doesn't exist rather than dealing with the types of issues that voters really want pursued.

What is the issue with a knife that opens efficiently? Are most stabbings not domestic incidents using fixed blade kitchen knives ? One would imagine that is the most likely case.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Well I totally blew the budget, bought a benchmade mini barrage. Black Blade with blue handles. I applied the buy once cry once approach to justify it. Thanks to everyone that lent their advice and experience to the thread.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:10 PM

Can't go wrong with a Benchmade. I have 2 or three but they're all fixed blades. The Osborne looks really nice though, if a bit spendy.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well I totally blew the budget, bought a benchmade mini barrage. Black Blade with blue handles. I applied the buy once cry once approach to justify it. Thanks to everyone that lent their advice and experience to the thread.
Nice knife for sure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-17-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
That is a very nice knife you just bought yourself! At no point in the
future are you ever going to regret spending more for that knife and
wish that you had purchased a cheaper one.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Knife store in Calgary just had a shipment of 33 knives seized and classified as "gravity knives"

Really tight pivots or disassembled knives should make it through no problem as long as they aren't actually prohibited.
33 knives stolen by Canadian Customs, wow.. I'm guessing that there will be a
few Customs guys sporting nice new knives in their personal collections. From
what I've heard, they don't provide any proof whatsoever that they destroyed
the knives, and they won't send the knives back to the Shipper either. Depending on which models they were, a kick like that could really hurt a small
business owner. If they were Custom knives like Todd Begg, or higher end production knives such as Medford, Reate, Olamic, etc. a theft like that could just about put a guy out of business.

Canadian Customs; much like the RCMP seem to be able to make up their own laws on the fly and there doesn't seem to be much that we can do about it, and the government doesn't seem to have a problem with it either. Sad...
Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Congrats on the new blade. As long as you are happy with the ergonomics you will be very happy with your purchase. My favorite knife is their 940 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
33 knives stolen by Canadian Customs, wow.. I'm guessing that there will be a
few Customs guys sporting nice new knives in their personal collections. From
what I've heard, they don't provide any proof whatsoever that they destroyed
the knives, and they won't send the knives back to the Shipper either. Depending on which models they were, a kick like that could really hurt a small
business owner. If they were Custom knives like Todd Begg, or higher end production knives such as Medford, Reate, Olamic, etc. a theft like that could just about put a guy out of business.

Canadian Customs; much like the RCMP seem to be able to make up their own laws on the fly and there doesn't seem to be much that we can do about it, and the government doesn't seem to have a problem with it either. Sad...
They have the option of paying a bonded carrier (Usually Fedex) to send the knives back to the original shipper instead of letting customs keep them.

In this case if was a variety of CRKT knives, some flippers, some normal thumb stud openers, all completely legal.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Congrats on the new blade. As long as you are happy with the ergonomics you will be very happy with your purchase. My favorite knife is their 940 series.

They have the option of paying a bonded carrier (Usually Fedex) to send the knives back to the original shipper instead of letting customs keep them.

In this case if was a variety of CRKT knives, some flippers, some normal thumb stud openers, all completely legal.
Cool thread!! i always loose my pocket knife. I bought this winchester one at wholesale for $10 and managed to keep it for 3 year. A really good knife for the price, i give it a good sharpen once a year depending on use. I know the second i spend any decent amount of money.... ill loose it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

And I had my knives sent in my luggage to my destination...gotta be a little smarter then waddling around blaming society but hey that's the way most roll now a days.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
And I had my knives sent in my luggage to my destination...gotta be a little smarter then waddling around blaming society but hey that's the way most roll now a days.
They were referring to the recent seizure of a commercial shipment of knives by the CBSA; due to the new definition of a Prohibited Weapon.
Better find another way to send your knives when you travel, as checked luggage will not be exempt from inspection and confiscation. Best to buy a "legal" knife for international travel.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 AM

I bought a Katz Knives’ Kagemusha folder few years ago, great knife, it is bulkier than most foldable but does a fabulous job on deers and keep an edge pretty well. A bit of money but I only need this one.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Which buck has the s30v steel? Both my buck vantage blades are 440hc.
I have Buck knife with Japanese ATS34 steel blade. You still can find them on ebay.

Regarding the topic my favorite knifes are:

EDC - Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman
Folder - Ontario Rat
Hiking - Mora Bushcraft Triflex
Old 02-23-2018, 06:45 PM

My new EDC I am pretty happy with it. Thanks for all the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 816EAD8E-0EC7-4289-9AC8-999D520BBBF2.jpg (17.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
My new EDC I am pretty happy with it. Thanks for all the advice.
Looks great. Your pivot is likely really tight from the factory. You can use a torx bit to loosen it up. I think pivots are T8 or T10. Remove the pivot screw then use a TINY bit of blue thread locker when you put it back in. Snug it up and test the blade. Tighten or loosen by a hair at a time until it gets to about where you want it. Remember to check for side to side blade play, it should not move side to side. Leave it for a day and you are good to go.

You will have to do this again as it finishes breaking in. The loctite is required because it can and will loosen up during use/carry without it.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the advice, right now it is a little stiff to close but that’s alright as it lets me get my finger out of the way. Lol
Old 02-25-2018, 11:19 PM

Default Outdoor Edge

Like you I was looking for a decent pocket knife . I picked up an Outdoor Edge at a Boxing day sale in Strathmore a couple of years ago. Great knife for general use. Never sharpen another blade ( unless you want to). Comes with 6 razor sharp blades that you can replace. Pretty much a lifetime warrant. I lost a screw out of the blade release mechanism; contacted Outdoor Edge and they shipped a complete new unit-knife, sheath and an additional 6 blades at their cost. Great little unit that meets my needs. I always have a sharp blade in my pocket.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:33 PM
Banned

I've been carrying an issued C-5 pocket knife for 25 years, happy with it. One of the few items I kept when I got out of the service.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 AM

I like my CRKT Good steel and lots of choices
Old 02-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, right now it is a little stiff to close but that’s alright as it lets me get my finger out of the way. Lol
If your like me and fidget with it a bunch first while you have it, it will break in and loosen up a bit on its own my crooked creek did. I wouldn't mess with it till you've had it a little while.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Pocket Knife

If they still make them the best for me has been the Normark knives had two for well over thirty years and it is really my only pocket knife.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:44 AM

I’m in the market for a new pocket knife as I lost my mini barrage this summer and still hasn’t turned up. Kinda eying up the Kershaw link 20cv. Seems like a good buy for what you get. I thought you couldn’t get assisted folders in Canada any more?
Thanks
Old 10-17-2020, 10:27 AM

Have carried a pocket knife every day of my life since I was 8 years old. It has always been a 3 blade 2.75" stockman, Shcrade Uncle Henry or Case, for casual clothes and a really flat single blade Kershaw when I was in a suit. For hunting, camping etc I add a folding Buck to a 3.75" Case 3 blade Stockman. The folder is a Buck 110, first was the original hard steel version, followed by a 110 in SV30. I own a pile of other knifes and rotate occasionally but 95% of the time one of those four is it.