Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Default New Pocket Knife, Ideas?

I am looking at getting a pocket knife that doesn't break the bank ($100Max)
Can you get a decent knife that holds an edge and doesn't require sharping after every use?

I like the the look of Kershaw Cryo, is it Quality?

Better or worse Canadian places to order? I assume you can't order flip assisted knives out of the states anymore.

Last edited by Off in the Bushes; 02-15-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Visit warriors and wonders website, I would look at the spyderco stuff.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM

I seen that Kizer is making some blades with vg10 steel in the <100$ range.
In my opinion they have a ton of potential.

I don’t really have much experience with Kershaw, however the cryo has my attention.

Spyderco makes some of their basic models squeak in under 100$

You might, just might, be able to get a Benchmade mini-grip for that (and that would be a great option!)

There is always the traditional Bucks, the 112 seems a great size and I like how their steel stacks up against the other budget options.

If you go used 100$ will go a lot further and would be my highest reccomendation, PM2 in s30v would be a cut above the previous options in edge retention, though harder to sharpen.
Anyways, those are the options as I see them. I tied my best to keep em all under 100$ as you asked. However, I’ll be the first to say that due to the rising cost of everything these days 100-150$ will get you a much more premium knife. (Especially used!)
Good luck with your search!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 AM

My idea of a pocket knife, is something small,that actually goes in your pocket, my favorite is a Uncle Henry,always very sharp, don't know if or where they make them anymore though. There's a guy that sells confiscated stuff that they get from travelers flying out of Leduc international, he has a garage sale every summer east of Leduc, loads of knives,lighters,tools,many with top brand names and cheap.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 AM

I don't know a lot about knives but i have a kershaw cryo 2, have carried it with me everyday for the last 2 or 3 years at least maybe more, think it was 80 bucks when i bought it. It's got a good feel to it, I don't have to sharpen it very often and it seems to keep its edge. Small enough to go in your pocket but big enough to do something with. I did try jumping the solenoid for the starter on lawn tractor with it last summer when i was a ways away from the house. It worked, but now i have a couple zap marks on the blade from when it sparked lol. I would buy one again.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Banned

If you want a tactical style folder I've found that under $100 the one of the best is the CRKT M-16 series hard to beat https://www.amazon.ca/Columbia-River...words=crkt+m16

If you don't mind something a little heavier the Buck 110 is a classic https://www.amazon.ca/Buck-Famous-Fo...words=buck+110
Old 02-15-2018, 11:19 AM

I got a crkt m21 a few months ago. I'm really liking it, but it's only a few months old so can't speak to long term edge retention. It's been great so far. It's a big pocket knife though.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:27 AM

I've been packing a Grohmann Featherweight Straight Lockblade, holds a good edge, doesn't break the bank and its made in Canada

http://www.grohmannknives.com/index....ckblade-detail
Old 02-15-2018, 12:17 PM

A bit over the $100 mark you start getting into much better blade steels. The S30V steel (or better) I linked will stay sharp longer than generic "stainless steel" and the base offerings of other cheaper knives including the 8Cr13mov in the Kershaw. I sharpen my Benchmades much less than my Kershaw Leek for instance.

Keep in mind that a steel that takes longer to dull will also take longer to sharpen.

I personally prefer Benchmade since their warranty is one of the best in the business. They will even send you free pocket clips if you want a deep carry or different style.

The mini-grip is the cheapest model and comes in a TON of different colors and blade styles.
https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/i...ord=griptilian

The Bugout is a really slim lightweight knife if that matters to you. https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/i...keyword=bugout

The Spyderco Endura and Delica come in around your limit and have a starting VG-10 steel which is decent. https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/i...page=1&sort=4a
Old 02-15-2018, 01:03 PM

Steel Will Cutjack D2 version. My new favorite everyday.
Best ergonomics of any of the knives I've owned, around 55 CAD slim and light.
Cheaper fiber reinforced nylon scales, but I don't mind the feel with the aggressive patterning. Phosfor bronze washers instead of bearings on the pivot, but it's action is impressive for the price. Outstandingly ground D2 blade with a nice choil to choke up on the blade for more control if needed. There's a pricier version that uses bearings, better steel and G10 scales but that's over your price point

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/S...inerlock_Black
Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 PM

This weeks Canadian Tire flyer has a Buck pocket knife listed on sale. 75% off, regular 50 bucks on for $12.50.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:41 PM

Smile Spyderco

When my son and I sent 5 days on the Nahanni with noting but a Bic lighter and 2 jackknives, his was a Spyderco and mine was a Spyderco clone.

The best feature turned out to be the partial serrated edge. If you bend a small spruce tree over the knife will cut the tree into two pieces. It kept us alive. We were able to build our shelter with the small trees.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM

I've always been partial to Swiss Army Knives, my favorites are the Tinker or Farmer models. Just enough stuff to be super handy, but they still ride in a pocket nicely.

If you figure you wont ever need a screw driver or bottle opener, and you want to spend a bit more Case makes some of the finest pocket knives in production, in any flavor you want.

As was mentioned before, the American made Buck knives have good steel and locking blades for a decent price. IMO the 112 which was mentioned is far too bulky to ride in a pocket comfortably, its a good folding hunter though. I've had one of their smaller folders in my lunch box for the last 10 years and its been great.

For around the $20 Openel makes excellent, but very simple lock blades. I've had one in my truck for years, it has a carbon steel blade and will hold a wicked edge.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-15-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:03 PM

I like the Benchmade stuff but it all seems sold out.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:04 PM

Emerson makes some great folders, but they're about double what you're looking to pay! I've heard of someone cutting through the sheet metal on a car body with one and never hurt it. But they're a bit too expensive for me to try something like that.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I like the Benchmade stuff but it all seems sold out.
Send them a message and ask if it is coming back in stock. They can put what you want in their next order.

Another place to look: https://www.srknivesandswords.com/
Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
Steel Will Cutjack D2 version. My new favorite everyday.
Best ergonomics of any of the knives I've owned, around 55 CAD slim and light.
Cheaper fiber reinforced nylon scales, but I don't mind the feel with the aggressive patterning. Phosfor bronze washers instead of bearings on the pivot, but it's action is impressive for the price. Outstandingly ground D2 blade with a nice choil to choke up on the blade for more control if needed. There's a pricier version that uses bearings, better steel and G10 scales but that's over your price point

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/S...inerlock_Black
Fabulous knife. D2 is my favorite steel for my edc. Another great knife is the Ontario rat 1 with D2 steel. At around 80$ it's right in under budget.
I have a zancudo brk in D2 that l love for edc carry as well IIRC it was 65$
Kershaw ciro 2 is a good edc with decent edge retention. I have several different Kershaw flippers and all have been great knives.
Another good blade is the buck 340 and 345. Deep pocket carry and quick open blades that hold an edge decently well.
Schrade old timer and buck 110 are good options with the edge going to the buck

If I had to choose only one blade as my edc it would be the zancudo brk. It's thin profile, D2 steel, tip up carry and blade shape/ design make it the perfect blade for my edc. However I'm too much of a blade nut to only have one knife:-)
Old 02-15-2018, 04:57 PM

I'm a big fan of the Kershaw Blur. I've had four....two ended up trying to go through security at and airport with me because I'm oblivious and have carried knives for over 30 years, and they are just so EDC comfortable. I have one that is completely straight edge, and holds a wicked edge (sharpen on my Japanese water stone) and the other is half serrated....love it too, I have a diamond file that is contoured for fish hooks and serrated blades that I use on it to keep it sharp. My preference in your price range. I also have some Zero Tolerance, Cold Steel, Spyderco, and a Benchmade, but the Blur gets the nod most of the time. Id really rather carry a Sig some days, but , you know.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-15-2018, 06:01 PM

I have a few kershaw Leek models, they are my favorite ever. I bought 1 for $90 USD when I was there last, then found 3 more in pawnshops for $25, 30, 35. Bought them all.
There are 2 versions, US made and overseas. I only bought the US ones.
Any I have seen here have been $130 or so iirc

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-15-2018, 06:32 PM

I love my Swiss Army knife, mines the hunter, they are very sharp and last for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180215_181135_resized(1).jpg (23.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 PM

I just picked up a SOG Twitch II a couple weeks ago, $85. I really like it. The spring assist is great on such a small blade and I especially like that you can lock the blade closed with a slider so that it will never spring open in your pocket (it’s happened to me in the past). It locks up solid like a much larger folder and the clip rides great in your pocket. I’m especially found of how it rides in my pocket since it sits higher than my phone or money clip, so I don’t have to worry about damaging either of them.

I used to carry a larger edc, but this little guy has really grown on me.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Knife

I was going to suggest a mini barrage by benchmade because that is my favorite pocket knife. But that d2 steel will one looks awesome. And at $55. Smokin deal.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Default Use

I think the first question would be ... what do you want it for ?

Are you feeding round bales every morning, do you work in an office setting, or drive long haul trucks ?

Different tasks require different tools.

Depending on my daily tasks, I have multiple EDC knives.

For business casual I carry a Swiss Army knife.

For tasks around the farm, a Gerber multi tool.

A short hike in the wilds, a Spyderco or Kershaw folder.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Foe everyday use I carry a Gerber Multi plier, it has two blades ( serrated and straight edge) pliers, screw drivers, everything .
When I wear a suit I carry a small liner lock knife.
Cat
Old 02-16-2018, 04:01 PM

I'm a Leatherman guy, I like to have a basic multitool with me and have found them to be handy, durable and keep a decent edge on the knife.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Banned

I've had a Kershaw Leek for 5+ years. Very low profile, skinny, perfect for clipping into my pocket.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 AM

I can't help but chime in on this thread and put a plug in....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337695

We have had nearly all the knives spoken about in this thread and we sell them at a fraction of what you pay. I know one of the problems is for the out of town fellas getting here.

Examples: Cat likes the Gerber multi tool and I sell them for $10, Curtz likes his SAK's I sell them for $1 - $3 each, Tool likes his Leatherman and they start at $10, Newview01 and his Leeks, we had 5 in the bin and they went for $15 each.......

Just trying to save you some money....and as a bonus, every nickel goes to the Chapel.

Oh yes, and not to derail, my daily carry is the ZT 450, Spyderco Cat or Spyderco Delica.

Cheers,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:30 AM

Just got myself a CRKT fossil and man is it a comfortable knife. Wicked smooth opening and holds an edge real good so far. Right around the $100 mark too.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Banned

I have Buck, Gerber, Outdoor Edge, Kershaw, SOG, CRKT, and both of the Swiss Army brands (Victorianox and I forget the other one). My favorite for feel is my CRKY Shennanigan. At work I have the Kershaw that comes in a 3 pack at Cabelas for $100. If you watch, they go an sale for half price. For ease of use, and in my pocket right now I have the Outdoor Edge RazorLite EDC.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:59 AM

I'm a huge fan of the full size Buck Vantage series, in their S30V offerings.