Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 06:57 PM

https://youtu.be/GxcWgcZZPdU

-Billy Molls
Old 02-15-2018, 07:04 PM

This thread is a great example why AO use to have a 1/2 page plus of sponsor ads and now only has 4 in total ......... Way to many Liberals.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask/alta boy View Post
Nope not "ONE" that seems to be the point of this whole thread, I believe someone earlier quoted a fairly high volume for so early in the year,. and that the standard "prayer" response isn't cutting it anymore?
And apparently that volume number is a complete lie.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-15-2018, 07:34 PM

Freedom is a dangerous thing. The more of it you have, the more potential danger there is. You have to decide how much freedom your willing to give up for added safety. In the US they have decided thus far that they are willing to allow more freedom but be exposed to more potential danger. In Canada the majority have decided that they value safety more and have given up more freedom. I think this is why a republic like the US is supposed to be is such a good idea- if you want to be as safe as possible and don't care about much freedom, you could move to such a state, and likewise if you wanted maximum freedom and were willing to face the risks you could do that.

I think most people both here and in the US would agree that keeping firearms out of the hands of homicidal maniacs would be the best idea, but I haven't heard many reasonable and workable solutions. A whole lot of " someone should do something" but not many idea's. It's a tough nut to crack- how many millions of firearms are in the US today? How do you stop the sale, transfer or theft of them?

Considering how many guns are out there and how many people own them and carry them daily, the vast majority are actually exceptionally responsible. How often do you hear of legal concealed carriers using their gun in a criminal manner? I remember people talking about what a bloodbath it would be, and how allowing it here would cause same, but that has not been born out. The vast majority will never be a problem and actually can be a benefit in certain situations like the one being discussed here. Some of these US schools have armed guards, but on a campus that size you would need to have a fair number in order to have a reasonable response time. I think having teachers who wanted to carry go through a good training program would be a good idea. The guns themselves are not and never have been the problem...having guns in the wrong hands can be a big problem. Therefore, more guns in the right hands does not add to the problem, as some seem to suggest. Is an armoured truck more or less likely to be robbed if there are armed guards? More or less if there is 1 guard or 10 guards? We have no problems protecting money or celebrities and politicians with armed guards, are children less valuable than cash or politicians?
Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Freedom is a dangerous thing. The more of it you have, the more potential danger there is. You have to decide how much freedom your willing to give up for added safety. In the US they have decided thus far that they are willing to allow more freedom but be exposed to more potential danger. In Canada the majority have decided that they value safety more and have given up more freedom. I think this is why a republic like the US is supposed to be is such a good idea- if you want to be as safe as possible and don't care about much freedom, you could move to such a state, and likewise if you wanted maximum freedom and were willing to face the risks you could do that.

I think most people both here and in the US would agree that keeping firearms out of the hands of homicidal maniacs would be the best idea, but I haven't heard many reasonable and workable solutions. A whole lot of " someone should do something" but not many idea's. It's a tough nut to crack- how many millions of firearms are in the US today? How do you stop the sale, transfer or theft of them?

Considering how many guns are out there and how many people own them and carry them daily, the vast majority are actually exceptionally responsible. How often do you hear of legal concealed carriers using their gun in a criminal manner? I remember people talking about what a bloodbath it would be, and how allowing it here would cause same, but that has not been born out. The vast majority will never be a problem and actually can be a benefit in certain situations like the one being discussed here. Some of these US schools have armed guards, but on a campus that size you would need to have a fair number in order to have a reasonable response time. I think having teachers who wanted to carry go through a good training program would be a good idea. The guns themselves are not and never have been the problem...having guns in the wrong hands can be a big problem. Therefore, more guns in the right hands does not add to the problem, as some seem to suggest. Is an armoured truck more or less likely to be robbed if there are armed guards? More or less if there is 1 guard or 10 guards? We have no problems protecting money or celebrities and politicians with armed guards, are children less valuable than cash or politicians?
Ahh, some common sense. To bad you won't be popular. After all, something must be done.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Default My apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I never even suggested that every or any teacher should be a member of the NRA.

I am one that thinks the NRA cares little for individual gun rights but fans the fear of loss of those rights to back their real agenda. I think their real agenda is to back opposition to anything that might slow down the manufacture and supply of firearms.

Yes mental illness is a problem, but what makes the problem worse is easy access to weapons of choice which seems to be AR type rifles.

When it came down to it the NRA party even opposed legislation against bump stocks.
I must have been reading between the lines. Ha Ha.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Yep, 2 billion wasted and not one life saved.
I am sure that a lot of money went down the toilet, but how can anyone know for sure if there were not lives saved?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am sure that a lot of money went down the toilet, but how can anyone know for sure if there were not lives saved?
Lol. You can't be serious.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 PM

Default Here is the breakdown of the shootings in 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
But he didn't, he used a gun.

But he didn't, he used a gun.

18 mass shootings so far in 2018. How many does Canada have in history?

No they don't.

Don't believe any of them were. Too bad you didn't notice them on the news - many others did.
1. They were not all mass shootings.
2. At least 3-6 look like they may have been gang affiliated.
3. Many were altercations between two individuals and some may not have been during school hours.
4 one might have been a stray bullet from anything.
5. Two were accidents from students messing with officers side arms.
6. Many of the incidents were children that would not be of age to legally carry a concealed weapon in there state.
Gun laws defiantly would not of eliminated all these school shootings.
Please read.

https://everytownresearch.org/school-shootings/5837
Old 02-15-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I must have been reading between the lines. Ha Ha.
That happens! I have seen another poster that got blamed for something I said.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Lol. You can't be serious.
Well then, you explain how you know there were actually no lives saved.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 PM

Hard to parse the ramblings of a mad man, but sounds kinda like Chump thought the kids who got shot should have done more.

From his Twitter...
"So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!"
The other person to blame was of course the insane kid...

Well, now that we've figured out the culprits no need to do anything more.

Remember, report weirdos (and Mexicans and Muslims) because otherwise you will get shot. Oh and you deserve it because you should have been packing.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Hard to parse the ramblings of a mad man, but sounds kinda like Chump thought the kids who got shot should have done more.

From his Twitter...
"So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!"
The other person to blame was of course the insane kid...

Well, now that we've figured out the culprits no need to do anything more.

Remember, report weirdos (and Mexicans and Muslims) because otherwise you will get shot. Oh and you deserve it because you should have been packing.
Several news releases are saying that the shooter was reported last fall as a potential threat. The FBI were apparently warned about him in September.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
"..Hard to parse the ramblings of a mad man, but sounds kinda like Chump.."
Love Trump.
Wish Canada had one.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well then, you explain how you know there were actually no lives saved.
Do you know that there were lives saved? There is no proof either way, but to think that having some firearms registered and some not is going to save lives shows some real lack of common sense.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 PM

Funny how that works..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Take it.jpg (46.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Some shocking stats.

In 2017 there were 6880 gun related deaths in the US which a majority were Suicides.
Between July of 2016 to July of 2017 there were 66,972 drug overdose deaths in the US which a lot were from opioids. Many of these were also children.
So why so much more focus on guns than drugs?
Sounds like politics to me.
I believe both of these stats are horrible but one far and above takes more lives.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Several news releases are saying that the shooter was reported last fall as a potential threat. The FBI were apparently warned about him in September.

Yep, and the FBI and mental health services followed through with the concerns and did everything they could do legally. As this isn't Minority Report, they can't arrest people for crimes they haven't committed. You also can't hospitalize people for general threats they make online etc indefinitely.

The system worked as far as it can, thus Chump blaming people and the system for not reporting him or being concerned is bull****.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Banned

Here's a novel idea. How about forget controlling guns and instead control dead beat parents? If many of these kids that go on to shoot up schools or shopping centers had a little self confidence and some moral fortitude would the shoot up schools? Don't know much about the offenders but by the pictures they all look like loosers. Self confidence, morals and ethics are taught at home.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Yep, and the FBI and mental health services followed through with the concerns and did everything they could do legally. As this isn't Minority Report, they can't arrest people for crimes they haven't committed. You also can't hospitalize people for general threats they make online etc indefinitely.

The system worked as far as it can, thus Chump blaming people and the system for not reporting him or being concerned is bull****.
Then the system is broken.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:35 PM

Default Forgot a couple.

Quote:
1. They were not all mass shootings.
2. At least 3-6 look like they may have been gang affiliated.
3. Many were altercations between two individuals and some may not have been during school hours.
4 one might have been a stray bullet from anything.
5. Two were accidents from students messing with officers side arms.
6. Many of the incidents were children that would not be of age to legally carry a concealed weapon in there state.
Gun laws defiantly would not of eliminated all these school shootings.
Please read.

https://everytownresearch.org/school-shootings/5837
7. Not all of the school shooting harmed someone.
8. Not all of the school shootings had the intent to harm someone.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 PM

It so interesting everyone (all those wanting to remove guns)
purposely ignore the 'apprenticeship' program to all this madness..
Is where the seeds for these shootings start..desensitization

First Person Shooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyCyzB0CedM
Old 02-15-2018, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
In 2017 there were 6880 gun related deaths in the US which a majority were Suicides.
Between July of 2016 to July of 2017 there were 66,972 drug overdose deaths in the US which a lot were from opioids. Many of these were also children.
I believe both of these stats are horrible but one far and above takes more lives.
The major difference me thinks is in these instances there are kids getting slaughtered and the other is a low life junkie who’s luck has finally ran out.
Not saying drugs isn’t an issue but it’s a lot easier to side with the innocent kids over the junkies.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting the gun control folks have lots of answers but not for this.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
It so interesting everyone (all those wanting to remove guns)
purposely ignore the 'apprenticeship' program to all this madness..
Is where the seeds for these shootings start..desensitization

First Person Shooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyCyzB0CedM
That realism is something else.

I believe we should be holding video game makers more liable than firearm manufacturers, if we are to go that route.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 PM

Default If you think only junkies are the only ones dying you do not know what you’re talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
The major difference me thinks is in these instances there are kids getting slaughtered and the other is a low life junkie who’s luck has finally ran out.
Not saying drugs isn’t an issue but it’s a lot easier to side with the innocent kids over the junkies.
If you call a little kid eating fentanyl laced candy or just getting it on there skin a junky or others who use more recreational drugs and also got some laced with fentanyl. How about emergency personnel that get exposed to it. Or the people that get killed by people for money to attain the drugs they are overdosing on.

Last edited by BuckCuller; 02-15-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you call a little kid eating fentanyl laced candy or just getting it on there skin a junky or others who use more recreational drugs and also got some laced with fentanyl. How about emergency personnel that get exposed to it. Or the people that get killed by people for money to attain the drugs they are overdosing on.
Just my beliefs brother, I don’t feel for the drug users. Is it an issue? Definitely and I do feel for some of those innocent victims as well. These kids in the school didn’t die from a bad batch of cocaine or some other illegal drug, they were simply going to school.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
18th school shooting in 45 days of 2018 in the USA already...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/14/flor...8-in-2018.html
Nope, not 45!
The Facts.

Debunking False School Shootings in 2:10secs..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJb-fr1EhDQ
Old 02-15-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
This article is pretty telling on how something that worked;
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cf1e4c133438
Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Nope, not 45!
The Facts.

Debunking False School Shootings in 2:10secs..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJb-fr1EhDQ
Well there you Go, more fake news from the anti firearms lobby.