Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post

I own many firearms and I have been a shooter and hunter since my youth. This thread was started on this venue and I have as much of a right to voice my views as you do.

On the other thread I support aheia and on this thread I condemn the NRA. I for one think that the NRA is one of the reasons why the USA is in such a sorry state and leads the world in school slaughters.
You have the right to voice your views on the NRA and you have. Some of us prefer to base our views on facts. You are not alone though many people make bad decisions because they have based them on lies, emotions, misunderstanding, and political BS. I see you have not finished all of your kool aid yet as I have not yet seen you blaming Winchester, Remington, Savage, Colt, Ruger etc.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Cars require licenses which require testing. They also require registration, inspection(some states), insurance.

Applying the same standards to gun ownership in the US is a viable option.
And yet, surprisingly, people still die in them. It’s almost unbelievable.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
And some people use them to kill people, at times lots of people, so licensing and registration of another "tool" does not prevent murders nor does the licensing and registration of any "tool". It is still and always will be the operator of that tool and the abuse of it that causes death.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If you want to play that game, rate of death/manhour unit of interaction with vehicles is vanishingly small. The same cannot be said about rate of death/manhour unit of interaction with firearms.

In addition, vehicle safety, and regulation is constantly being improved upon, while the same can't be said about America gun regulation.

Further, that a solution will solve a significant amount of a problem, though not every instance, is not a reason to throw the solution out wholesale.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:44 PM

How can someone not correlate the excessive ease to access of firearms in the states to the number of gun related deaths/incidents? Are you that blinded by your own selfishness of not wanting to have any new rules or regulations?
I am not saying to ban all guns but make the owners be background checked and registered as valid, competent and mentally stable firearm owners.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
How can someone not correlate the excessive ease to access of firearms in the states to the number of gun related deaths/incidents? Are you that blinded by your own selfishness of not wanting to have any new rules or regulations?
I am not saying to ban all guns but make the owners be background checked and registered as valid, competent and mentally stable firearm owners.
There are already background checks, and if one is deemed mentally ill and a threat to themselves or others, they are already prohibited from possessing firearms.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:00 PM

There is nothing to be argued that guns do not kill people, people kill people but as a society is the only solution to say we don't have a gun control issue its a mental health issue?
Is there no responsibility as a society and as gun owners that we take steps to ensure that firearms are not legally purchased by someone with a mental illness or incompetent of gun ownership or if someone displays signs of mental illness that our government has the right to revoke someone right to own a firearm?

Armed robberies and gang wars are always going to have access to firearms illegally but criminals "typically" keep to themselves to some extent. Someone doing a mass shooting is going out in a blaze of glory and could care less if they showed their drivers licences and bought the gun from a store.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
There are already background checks, and if one is deemed mentally ill and a threat to themselves or others, they are already prohibited from possessing firearms.
Exactly, Like I mentioned in another post some people commenting with emotion without knowing facts and not being knowledgeable on what regulations/laws already exist.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
An instant criminal back ground checks are only checking if someone is a felon or "prohibited person". The law also only effects someone put on suicide watch.

In addition only 60% of firearm sales in the US are subject to the instant criminal background check as it only applies to licenced firearm dealers private sales and gun show sales are currently exempt.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
If you want to play that game, rate of death/manhour unit of interaction with vehicles is vanishingly small. The same cannot be said about rate of death/manhour unit of interaction with firearms.

In addition, vehicle safety, and regulation is constantly being improved upon, while the same can't be said about America gun regulation.

Further, that a solution will solve a significant amount of a problem, though not every instance, is not a reason to throw the solution out wholesale.
Safer vehicles reduces fatalities, but the system of vehicle registration , and operator licensing has remained virtually the same for many years, and there hasn't been recent improvements in that regard that are saving lives. As for your comparison between firearms, and vehicles, the amount of time that each is used is irrelevant, the important fact is that several times as many people are killed in vehicle accidents involving impaired drivers than by firearms, let alone in all vehicle accidents. Which ban do you think would save more lives in Canada, a total ban on firearms, or a total ban on alcohol?
Old 02-15-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Exactly, Like I mentioned in another post some people commenting with emotion without knowing facts and not being knowledgeable on what regulations/laws already exist.
Maybe you should educate yourself from your high horse. The current laws are a joke and only help keep guns out of the hands of convicted felons for the most part
Old 02-15-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should educate yourself from your high horse. The current laws are a joke and only help keep guns out of the hands of convicted felons for the most part
By the same token, our Canadian firearms laws are not keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals. How many people are found in possession of firearms while under a firearms prohibition? The people in the vehicle in the Stanley case are just one example.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:22 PM

I don't foresee our neighbors to the South coming up with a solution to this precarious situation they are in now. Poor kids! I would hate if we had more lax gun laws here in Canada, for fear that we may end up lumped into the same category. This coming from an r pal holder
Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
And this is working in the USA? Apparently not.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhwight View Post
I don't foresee our neighbors to the South coming up with a solution to this precarious situation they are in now. Poor kids! I would hate if we had more lax gun laws here in Canada, for fear that we may end up lumped into the same category. This coming from an r pal holder
You are a real minority in terms of RPAL holders.

I have yet to understand how it is safer for me to shoot at a busy range than my remote acreage.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
And this is working in the USA? Apparently not.
It isn't working so great in Canada either.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ying-guns.html
Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
By the same token, our Canadian firearms laws are not keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals. How many people are found in possession of firearms while under a firearms prohibition? The people in the vehicle in the Stanley case are just one example.
And to that note when was the last time a convicted felon did a mass shooting at a school?
Old 02-15-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
And to that note when was the last time a convicted felon did a mass shooting at a school?
Not at a school, but he murdered 8 people.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rder-1.2887143

Quote:
Police said Lam had a criminal record dating back to 1987, and used a stolen 9-mm handgun in what the police chief called "an extreme case of domestic violence."
Old 02-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Banned

I don't understand why many use the us as a comparison. Different demographics. Like I said we may as well compare ourselves to Somalia.

In truth how hard is it to get your pal? Not very hard. Same as the rpal.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I don't understand why many use the us as a comparison. Different demographics. Like I said we may as well compare ourselves to Somalia.

In truth how hard is it to get your pal? Not very hard. Same as the rpal.
And some people don't even have to pass a test.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:44 PM
Banned

Maybe make mental health checks should be mandatory when applying for a PAL/RPAL as well as when you send your renewal. I know of some pretty messed up people who had no issues getting their RPAL.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
Maybe make mental health checks should be mandatory when applying for a PAL/RPAL as well as when you send your renewal. I know of some pretty messed up people who had no issues getting their RPAL.
Did they use you as a reference?...did you report them to the CFO?
Old 02-15-2018, 05:55 PM

Hate to add to this silly ‘save my guns’ argument... but...

Common sense... guns, cars, planes... other stuff ... there’s things that SHOULD require a ‘responsibility check’ of some kind if the person wants their ‘right’ to have it.

Rights carry responsibilities with them. Just can’t assume people automatically have the ability to handle that responsibility.

I’ve got lots of friends that mark our provincial gr. 6 and gr. 9 language arts provincial exams....

Lots of kids write stories about them doing school shootings......creeps a guy right out.

‘The creepy outsider kid’ is a pretty common thing.

Just food for thought.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Did they use you as a reference?...did you report them to the CFO?
No as for the reference and they have been reported a few times. I have been a reference for quite a few friends and never once received a call. The criteria for obtaining and maintaining a license is way too lax imo.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
You have the right to voice your views on the NRA and you have. Some of us prefer to base our views on facts. You are not alone though many people make bad decisions because they have based them on lies, emotions, misunderstanding, and political BS. I see you have not finished all of your kool aid yet as I have not yet seen you blaming Winchester, Remington, Savage, Colt, Ruger etc.
Ohhhhhh ****in BUUUUUURRRRRNNNN.

Need Ice Scott_H?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
No as for the reference and they have been reported a few times. I have been a reference for quite a few friends and never once received a call. The criteria for obtaining and maintaining a license is way too lax imo.
You mean they've been reported due to their perceived mental instability and nothing came of it?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
You mean they've been reported due to their perceived mental instability and nothing came of it?
PM has been sent.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
17 dead and everyone starts on politics,most of them are kids and I hated seeing this tragedy happen to young children,i pray for them and all there family members who lost there loved ones cause of one coward nut job.
Nope not "ONE" that seems to be the point of this whole thread, I believe someone earlier quoted a fairly high volume for so early in the year,. and that the standard "prayer" response isn't cutting it anymore?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 PM

It seems that the FBI were warned about a person with the same name that wanted to become a school shooter sometime in advance from a You tube posting. Also the school superintendent was worried on violence from this individual when they expelled. How many warning flags does it take to start an investigation and remove firearms from this individuals possession --- seems like more than two or three.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasack...7zn#.ljLeEEOK7
Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
It seems that the FBI were warned about a person with the same name that wanted to become a school shooter sometime in advance from a You tube posting. Also the school superintendent was worried on violence from this individual when they expelled. How many warning flags does it take to start an investigation and remove firearms from this individuals possession --- seems like more than two or three.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasack...7zn#.ljLeEEOK7
FBI and the school both knew about these threats by him claiming “I’m going to be a professional school shooter” and all they did was ban him from showing up on campus with a backpack..

With that threat being sent to the FBI and the content of his social media accounts how on earth was this not dealt with.