Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Kananaskis logging...

Shocked to see this, it looks like we are losing some prime hunting territory to logging with more to come if we don't do something. Just wanted to let others know what is happening.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1325910
Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Banned

There was a thread on this while back. Logging a good thing. New growth and cut blocks are always a great way to hunt
Old 02-14-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Country Hunter View Post
Shocked to see this, it looks like we are losing some prime hunting territory to logging with more to come if we don't do something. Just wanted to let others know what is happening.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1325910
Looks to me like some prime hunting territory is being created.
Do some research, check out old cutblocks and the animals that are living there. Spend some time out there, you will see the improvements that come with the harvesting.
Hopefully they do more!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM

Logging ( clear cutting ) is also a great way to introduce mass amounts of sediment into cutthroat and rainbow habitat.

Lots of places to hunt- less to fish.

Lumber will be heading to a BC mill. Perfect.

* read sarcasm
Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyon View Post
Logging ( clear cutting ) is also a great way to introduce mass amounts of sediment into cutthroat and rainbow habitat.

* read sarcasm
How so (with todays logging practices)?
Like to hear it explained, maybe some picture proof. Or is it hearsay?
I'd be more concerned with hip waders walking thru redds.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM

yep, I remember the crying when it was done in the ghost about 5 yrs ago. Some of that old growth forest needs to be harvested as we suppress fires too much now a days. in the long run its better for the trees and game.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyon View Post

* read sarcasm
Member of BHA?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:16 PM

Cutting that area hurts Alberta businesses (including a hunting guide) and takes out the most productive part of an Alberta trappers territory. The jobs and benefits go to the province that refuses to allow Alberta resources to get to market. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:53 PM

Every body takes a dump at least once per day ,I have yet to go to some ones house and see a roll of saran wrap on the roller beside the toilet.If you can clean yourself with saran wrap your a tough sucker for punishment.Plus you must have a real bad case of baboon arrs.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:27 AM

Maybe Alberta should build houses with plastic studs made from all the oil they can't get to tide water.

Logging has far less impact than catastrophic forest fires. Wood is a renewable resource.

To those who oppose logging, are you opposed to the Alberta oil and gas industry?? It's a nonrenewable with far more long term impact.

As for the out of province argument, the same happens with your oil. It gets shipped raw to other countries. The AB gov't still gets royalties on the timber.

It will grow back and create excellent habitat for all sorts of critters. A mosaic landscape is better than a monoculture.

And before anyone jumps on me, I do have an education in forestry, am registered with the Association of BC Forest Professionals, and practice forestry as my career.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 AM

I'm not against logging - my wife's family made their living in the industry. She put herself through school working in a mill. We will be using wood long after oil is gone (not my lifetime I hope!).

But there are places where there is greater value in leaving the forest standing or letting it burn if habitat is the concern. A couple million in one-time stumpage is a bad trade for cutting into one of the province's prime tourist areas, hurting Alberta businesses while BC makes money.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
I'm not against logging - my wife's family made their living in the industry. She put herself through school working in a mill. We will be using wood long after oil is gone (not my lifetime I hope!).

But there are places where there is greater value in leaving the forest standing or letting it burn if habitat is the concern. A couple million in one-time stumpage is a bad trade for cutting into one of the province's prime tourist areas, hurting Alberta businesses while BC makes money.
So, let it burn or become a forest health issue? (ie. mountain pine beetle)
Overmature lodgepole pine stands are best used for lumber.

People don't like the forest industry because we hide it and don't educate people. Seems like a great opportunity to educate some tourists about the benefits of timber harvesting. Some signage, and pamphlets could really be a good thing.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Outfitters and guides can't claim ownership of the backcountry. Just because they have been making money off the land doesn't mean their trap line or area is theirs to use in perpetuity. It's the publics land and the government has the responsibility of managing that on our behalf. I have few issues with logging using todays practices. We seem to like some cherries (oil and gas) and not the other cherries (logging). Logging is good for Alberta.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 AM

Forest will grow back, in about 100 years, none of us have that much time on earth, come to think of it "ALL" 7.5 billion people alive today will be dead before a mature pine or spruce forest full of wildlife will be re-established again.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Forest will grow back, in about 100 years, none of us have that much time on earth, come to think of it "ALL" 7.5 billion people alive today will be dead before a mature pine or spruce forest full of wildlife will be re-established again.
A mature pine or spruce forest has less wildlife then a young forest. Fact.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:35 AM

Most of K country is way overgrown, I was hoping for a big fire season last year.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
Most of K country is way overgrown, I was hoping for a big fire season last year.
X2
Old 02-15-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:

In my neck of the woods I have lived thru two
WS complete harvests.

The first was a selective cut (10" chest high, I believe).
Massive blowdown to the now exposed trees followed.

This may be one reason for block clearcuts.

A forest must be managed, either naturally, or otherwise.

Game potential seems to improve with block-cut logging,
within 5-6 years. (my personal observation)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
Absolutely - some of the bush in 404 is incredibly thick and overgrown. It's needed for multiple reasons.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Wrong . Try 10 yrs and less till the animals really start to use it. 90 yrs till mature I agree but that is when the next generation is more then ready. Forestry is actually quite good. Otherwise let every fire burrn itself out. See how long that lasts LOL
Old 02-15-2018, 06:05 PM

I have found elk will use cutblocks 3-5 years after the cut.

Bears and deer.... the year after.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-15-2018, 08:09 PM

Perfect. Create access and new growth. Will be great for the game. Better then standing old growth making up 100% or the area.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 PM

We should be glad that our logging is harvesting & replanting trees on our public lands and that the clear cutting is not becoming new agricultural homesteads for new immigrant homesteaders like 125 years ago.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 AM

Sorry guys, I have been hunting moose, elk,deer, caribou for over 60 years throughout most of Alberta. Only animals that like cut-blocks are mice and coyotes.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Sorry guys, I have been hunting moose, elk,deer, caribou for over 60 years throughout most of Alberta. Only animals that like cut-blocks are mice and coyotes.
I've been hunting for 30 yrs, in 2 provinces and 2 states. Most of my kills were in cut blocks where the animals love to feed on regrowth. When I explore new territory I focus on 2 to 10 yrs old cut block, and that's where I find success.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have a couple dozen harvests in cut blocks that prove you dont know what your talking about
Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I’ve shot 1/2 dozen big game animals in cutblocks. 404 should be logged lots of old growth forest ready to die or burn anyway.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:00 PM

Default last I checked

...ungulates don't dine much on mature pine. Those big stands of confers make for nice squirrel habitat and some bedding areas.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:33 AM

Default last i checked

mature wood is crucial thermal cover, when the snow is deep and the temps drop, also where marten, fisher, squirrels and a host of other small game live. After this is cut those small mammals don't relocate, they just die. then when the cutblocks that they create just start to regrow and have a pile of browse that makes it good habitat and hunting, along comes aerial spraying and kills every plant except for the pine or spruce that is planted. now you have a monoculture with no desirable browse. in about ten years or so these super thick stands of replanted trees are a fire waiting to happen. in alberta we are in the business of tree farming and growing 2 x 4 's. The logging practices in this province are a joke. Sustainability and accountability is a pipe dream. The long term damage to our watersheds both large and small will take decades to repair. Yes industry is important to the economy of alberta but the price we will pay down the road is far higher than the short term gains. And how much of that money stays here? These sawmills are now primarily FOREIGN OWNED!!
Do you think that they have any concerns about the long term environmental damages they are doing? It is time that the extremely wasteful logging practices were updated so that when they do clearcut, they are forced to utilize what they cut, noy just the perfect wood and then burn the rest. Logging is necessary but so is sustainability. Right now those two words can't be used in the same sentence.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 AM

Critter, very wise post. Sorry guys I am also a full time trapper on RFMA. I spend 12 months in the bush not just 1 week each fall as some of you cut-block hunters. I know where the animals live. it is not in wasteland with 6 foot v-groves where even a moose could break a leg.