Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 AM

Default Beretta or Benelli

Looking at a Beretta 686 silver pigeon or a Benelli Supersport, I have never owned a Benelli I do own a Beretta a400 Xplor and I love the gun, use them mostly for skeets but it will see field use, I can't decide witch one to get, I am also open to other options.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 AM

Fit should be your first priority, so you need to shoulder any shotgun that you are considering. As well, why do you want another shotgun? What do you want it to do differently than your A400? Are you going to shoot actual skeet, or trap, or sporting clays, or are you going to throw your own targets? I have to ask, because you mentioned "skeets", and there is no such thing as "skeets". Skeet is a specific game, as is trap, as is sporting clays and a gun that is ideal for a certain clays game, may not be ideal for the others, and may not be a great choice for field use.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:18 AM

I did shoulder the Benneli the fit was just ok, did not feel like my Beretta that's for sure, I am looking at another shot gun so me and my son can both shoot clays at the same time, I have my own clay thrower. So another question would be what would be the best all purpose shot gun, I am willing to spend around 3000$
Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 AM

Go by what feels right for you, I have a Super Black Eagle ll and like it a lot, enough so that I bought my son one as well, and he is taking some Geese way out there each Fall neither of us have had any issues yet, we have had them for around 4 years now not really sure. Both Beretta and Benelli make nice shotguns you cant go to too far wrong with either shotgun.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 AM

How old is your son? If he is an adult, and has stopped growing, then take him along and find a gun that fits him. If he hasn't stopped growing, a gun that fits him now might not fight in a couple of years. If you are looking for one shotgun to hunt upland and waterfowl, and shoot informal clays with your own thrower, then a gas operated semi aiuto. is likely the most versatile shotgun for you. But as I posted, make sure that each of you has a gun that fits you, it's very likely that a gun that fits one of you, won;t fit the other properly. Typically, Beretta and Browning are the opposites fit wise. The Beretta guns usually have much less drop at comb than a Browning.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-13-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbloom View Post
Looking at a Beretta 686 silver pigeon or a Benelli Supersport, I have never owned a Benelli I do own a Beretta a400 Xplor and I love the gun, use them mostly for skeets but it will see field use, I can't decide witch one to get, I am also open to other options.
The Supersport has a raised rib and in theory should throw a pattern higher than your Beretta. It certainly does for me. The logic is to always have a rising bird (clay) flying up and into the pattern which is ideal for trap and shooting flushing birds. I learned to shoot with a flat or no rib so it drives me crazy.

Field guns are generally lighter and more lively than a sporting model. They can become a bit of a pain (literally) if you are shooting lots of clays.

Having said that, some Benellis have a flat rib and again in theory should shoot similar to your Beretta if properly adjusted. I hunted a Benelli Ethos last year and it is a thing of beauty in every sense of the word. It is flat ribbed and will cycle everything I put in it which is not true of the Beretta and Browning Autos I have had. Being able to shoot cheap shells is a real bonus especially if buying for two.

The Silver Pigeon is a proven platform that will hold it's value for generations. I see them selling used for little less than retail on a regular basis so you are not risking much. It should shoot very similar to your 400 as it came out of the box with the thin cast off adjusting shim.

In my experience auto loaders come and go like the flavors of the months. Quality OUs and SXSs are heirlooms that your son, your grandchildren and perhaps even your great grandchildren can enjoy.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanks for responses greatly appreciated, I have some gun shopping to do today, I will post what I choose
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

In my experience auto loaders come and go like the flavors of the months. Quality OUs and SXSs are heirlooms that your son, your grandchildren and perhaps even your great grandchildren can enjoy.
Flavor of the month????. I as well as many others have semi auto's that are over 50 years old and still working fine hardly a flavor of the month.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM

I will likely be shooting my SX-3 until I am done hunting waterfowl. I also had an A400, and a SBE2, but the simple fact is that I shoot the SX-3 better, so that is what I chose to keep. I recommend a semi auto, because it will be reasonably light to carry, recoil is milder with a gas operated semi auto for heavy waterfowl loads, and a quality semi auto will function fine with most loads, from target loads to heavy waterfowl loads. No most lighter weight semi autos won't last for hundreds of thousands of rounds like a quality O/U, but most people will never shoot more 10,000-20,000 rounds in a lifetime, unless they are seriously into the clay sports.I actually prefer a slightly higher rib for the clay games, but a higher rib does not mean a higher point of impact. While a trap gun will generally produce a higher point of impact, in the 7030 range, skeet and sporting clays guns generally produce a 50/50 to 60/40 pattern, regardless of the rib height. I actually prefer a lightweight SxS for hunting upland birds, but lightweight SxS or O/U guns are no fun to shoot for the clays games or with heavy waterfowl loads, due to the recoil.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Flavor of the month????. I as well as many others have semi auto's that are over 50 years old and still working fine hardly a flavor of the month.
Yeah, those plastic stocked Supersports and A400s will likely be in a museum someday.

Now lets go over the list of heirloom quality auto loaders. We got the Browning Sweet Sixteen and ......then maybe the original Remington or was that just another Browning????

Quality SXSs and OUs have a whole lot of hand craftsmanship that you just don't see in mass produced auto loaders. Even my Ethos, that truly is a beautiful gun, pales in comparison to even an entry level hand fitted OU or SXS.

All things being equal, a like condition OU or SXS is worth several times the value of it's auto loading counter part from any era, but you go ahead and invest where you see fit.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Yeah, those plastic stocked Supersports and A400s will likely be in a museum someday.

Now lets go over the list of heirloom quality auto loaders. We got the Browning Sweet Sixteen and ......then maybe the original Remington or was that just another Browning????

Quality SXSs and OUs have a whole lot of hand craftsmanship that you just don't see in mass produced auto loaders. Even my Ethos, that truly is a beautiful gun, pales in comparison to even an entry level hand fitted OU or SXS.

All things being equal, a like condition OU or SXS is worth several times the value of it's auto loading counter part from any era, but you go ahead and invest where you see fit.
So where did the heirloom come from? The OP posted about wanting a shotgun for himself and his son to use to shoot some clays as well as use it in the field, he never mentioned handing it down from generation to generation.
This is what the OP posted:

Quote:
, I am looking at another shot gun so me and my son can both shoot clays at the same time,
Quote:
but it will see field use,
Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So where did the heirloom come from? The OP posted about wanting a shotgun for himself and his son to use to shoot some clays as well as use it in the field, he never mentioned handing it down from generation to generation.
This is what the OP posted:
He is considering a Silver Pigeon that will hold it's value and last several lifetimes. They are cheap to rebuild if needed for tight lock up and have been basically the same design for a long time.

His other choice was a Supersport. Auto loaders wear out and can be expensive or even impossible to rebuild. If we look at the must have autos from several years ago and the advancements in technology, the older ones are basically obsolete. You can buy a Beretta Outlander cheaper than rebuilding an obsolete piece from just 10 years ago and have a better gun.

He never mentioned heirloom but considering one is and the other is not, it maybe something to think about in deciding. I wish my late father had purchased a Browning SXS or an OU in the 1980s rather than an A500G.

But to each his own. BTW if you are considering leaving me one of your shotguns, I'll take the AYA over the SX3 every day of the week. I know the prices are not close but the OP is willing to drop up to $3000 and there are some nice pieces available in that price range.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:13 AM

I tried on many guns yesterday looking for the right fit, I ended up going with Beretta A400 xcel sporting 30", the over unders from beretta where very very nice but did not shoulder like the A400. Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Banned

Usually trying something out for yourself, is the only way to find out what works for you. Glad you got what you wanted.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbloom View Post
I tried on many guns yesterday looking for the right fit, I ended up going with Beretta A400 xcel sporting 30", the over unders from beretta where very very nice but did not shoulder like the A400. Thanks for the help!!
It sounds like you made a good choice for the right reasons.Enjoy!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 PM

Beautiful gun. Congrats!