Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-12-2018, 05:51 PM

Default RCBS at amazon.ca

I sold most of my loading equipment several years ago. When I wanted to get back I did a Google search and found that amazon.ca was selling the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit for around $450.00 with free shipping.

Just about did the click when I noticed that there were other options in Canadian Dollars and one for $298.00 Canadian with free shipping from an American supplier. I emailed them and asked if there were any other fees like duty or customs. I was assured the price would be $298.00 Canadian and nothing else.

I almost was holding my breath when I picked up my package at the Post Office almost expecting they were going to make a collection. Nope! What was tabbed on my card was the price all in. I think I got a good deal.

I did notice that since I placed my order those kits at $298.00 were no longer listed.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 PM

Wow, great deal for sure!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Odd they would assure you there was no duty and tax as it would be applicable. CBSA appears to pick packages at random for duty and GST charges. I order lots from the US, sometimes they charge it and sometimes they don't. You got lucky, even with tax and duty it still would have been a good deal though.

The worst is that in addition to duty and tax they actually charge you a $10 fee for charging you.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Odd they would assure you there was no duty and tax as it would be applicable. CBSA appears to pick packages at random for duty and GST charges. I order lots from the US, sometimes they charge it and sometimes they don't. You got lucky, even with tax and duty it still would have been a good deal though.

The worst is that in addition to duty and tax they actually charge you a $10 fee for charging you.
I thought maybe it might because Amazon Canada accepted my payment.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:32 PM

I bought a Chargemaster combo last year for under $400 CAD from a US seller on Amazon. Did not have to pay anything else when picking it up at the post office. The rebate that was on at the time made it even better...vs paying $580 or whatever the current retail is.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM

Default GSt is on everythnig coming into Canada pretty much

There is no duty on US made goods coming into Canada under Nafta rules. Some indication on internet that although RCBS has a plant in California (and elsewhere) certain press or die bodies are cast in china and assembled and finished in the US. Nafta has specific rules for how much "component ratio and value add apply to make them free of duty under Nafta". The rules are very specific so there is no random placement of duty by CBSA. If in doubt before you order request a certificate of qualification under nafta rules of origin from the manufacturer. they all know what products qualify and have certificates readily available for export to Canada.