Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 PM

Default tire chains

I have a f150 4x4 and a set of chains, witch end of the truck would be best to put them on. thanks for any advice
Old 02-12-2018, 04:35 AM

On a 4x4, unless maybe the rear had a locker, the front will have more traction because of the weight on it. You may have a bit more directional control with them on the front if you are navigating rough terrain.

In an off camber situation however, unless you have a heavier duty truck with a solid front axle, you may lose traction just from a wheel being unweighted.

Keep in mind that there is probably more stuff up front that chains can catch on , and possibly tear off or stop the wheel from spinning. And the front runs out of clearance faster, especially if you run oversized tires.

Most of the time I would just put them on the rear. I actually have 2 sets of heavy duty V-bars, and I have only had them on the back so far. They are a huge traction adder. If I did put them on the front I would need to drive pretty carefully, and not be steering too tightly.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 AM

I agree with what Tac Lever has posted, I would put them on the back as well. The front would have more weight but to me the rear diff is stronger and there is less to go wrong with it. Once you chained up the back and still had chain left over, I would put one on the front. This would give you some steering and traction but if the set up needed some slack, the bare foot tire could give you the slippage.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 AM

A good set on v-bars on rear of 4x4 will take you through almost anything. After that you should turn around and go home. However I use to run 4 chains on my international scout but I was going down cutlines with it as though it was a ATV and took it places a moose could not walk.
The PTO winch with 6 different speeds would get me out of those places.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Yep, v bars on both ends and it is a tank until it gets stuck. Then it is right ****ed!

If running on only one end usually the rear is best, better for climbing hills and less chance of swapping ends coming down them. Also less chance of the chains damaging the truck when on the back only.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Always use them on the rears first. Even with my work truck which I do have a full set for all the way around I don’t use them very often. If I get to where I need them I’m probably somewhere I shouldn’t be and most likely goofing off and not really needing to go tot hat place while on the clock... lol
Old 02-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Always install chains on the front first. Mainly so you can steer then chain up the back if traction still needed. Be careful to tie up the ends as they can catch on you brake lines and then you have big trouble.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Default chains

Thanks very much for all the advice, going out on the lake fishing a lot of snow right now dont want to get stuck.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Banned

Chain up rear end first and IF you have a spare one put it on the opposite side of your power steering at the front That helps you keep driving straight!, The reason is you dont want to damage your power steering side. , with the back chained up good it should get you wherever you SHOULD go ! Little tip here once you have placed them on drive a distance and stop and tighten them some more , dont leave them loose OR loose ends and DON,T drive over 30 miles an hour , or you are just asking for trouble ! If you hear slapping STOP and check out the problem.IF you are driving in mud stay on the crown of the road.IF you meet traffic STOP , That is where most fellows get into trouble . This is 40 years of driving with chains talking . Have fun!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhawk44 View Post
Always install chains on the front first. Mainly so you can steer then chain up the back if traction still needed. Be careful to tie up the ends as they can catch on you brake lines and then you have big trouble.

This is bad advice. Avoid chains on the front of a 4x4 at all costs. The front diffs are not designed nearly as strong as the rear and can break. Put the chains on the rear and IF you have a set for the front, take it easy... Take my word for it or not. During certain times of the year I run chains on my pick-up weekly for work. My personal preference is Trygg Super 2000's. They have large studs and not a V-bar. Nothing beats them.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d bowhunter View Post
Thanks very much for all the advice, going out on the lake fishing a lot of snow right now dont want to get stuck.
No room for chains on a lot of vehicles. Careful or say goodby to brake lines and any other close wiring.

Grizz
Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 AM

Grizz is correct, with 18-20 inch rims and large oversize tires guys are putting on their trucks limited clearance for chains. Stick with 16 inch rims, tires cheaper and have lots of room for chains when going really gets rough.
PS and you get much better mileage.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 PM

Work truck has 17" rims and I finally had to chain up yesterday to get into a site. Pushing 2' drifts for about 2 miles, all I did was chain the rears, put it in 4x4 and run 1st gear all the way in. I have an extra set of chains for the front but figured the rears were more than enough.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:03 PM

I will always remember what my Dad use to tell me. Use the chains and/ or the winch to get you turned around and out of trouble. Not to keep going into more trouble. Have not always used that advice mind u but certainly make my decisions based on it. Lol
Old 02-25-2018, 05:48 PM

I have a 2014 f150. I use my chains on the back if the road is a bit slick. If you lock the diff the steering can be a bit tricky but if you keep it slow (like you should with chains) then you shouldn't have a problem. A word of advice. The is not a lot of clearance between the sidewall of the tire and the shocks and brake line on the f150. Make sure your chins are not too thick and they are TIGHT! after I crank them tight with the chain wrench I still add a couple small rubber bungie cords on the outside. I generally only put the chains on if the road is slick and I'm puling my trailing. I've had the trailer slide off the road and those chains have saved my bacon a couple times. It's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.