Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Default Help Guys , Aspen Fuel , Bogging Auger

I'll start by saying I had a challenging day on the ice today with my Eskimo Mako 43cc. Last year I was using regular fuel mixed with HUSQVARNA 2 stroke oil. My auger ran pretty good. It would usually start on the 2nd or 3rd pull when cold and then after that on the first pull. Once in a while I would notice a blue oily liquid coming out of the exhaust and dripping on to the auger. One day I needed to mix up more fuel and realized I had mixed it incorrectly from the start. The bottle of oil was for 2.5 gallons of gas. I'd run my auger from new for a year and a bit on an incorrect mix. I had mixed the oil in 2 gallons of gas . I mixed a new batch of fuel to the proper 50:1 and the auger ran great. Started on first or second pull. Lots of power when drilling.

A few weeks ago a buddy of mine was at the Lawnmower hospital getting his Eskimo auger tuned up. The Technician suggested to him that Aspen premix 50:1 was the best thing going for a persons auger . He relayed this info to me and figured why not. I drained my tank and filled it with the Aspen Premix 50:1 fuel.

The auger started fine. I noticed it ran a little rougher. I figured it was just the higher octane in the Aspen fuel. Today at the lake I started the auger as usual; started easy. Drilled a few holes. Then the auger started to bog while drilling. I worked through the bogging and manged to drill 5 more holes. I let the auger sit for half hour in disbelief. Then I though Ill try to drill a few more holes. When I went to start the auger I noticed a lot of blueish oil residue had dripped from the exhaust onto the flute. Their was oil all around the exhaust. Please note I had run the auger 5 or 6 times at home to test it on the Aspen fuel and to have the fuel run through the whole system. I drilled 10 more holes with the auger only bogging twice more .

Could it be that the Apsen is cleaning out the carb and motor which was causing the bogging , and the blueish oil is residue from the previous years usage with too rich of a mix? Or is Aspen its self causing my auger to bog?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Jawjacker; 02-11-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 PM

I have read Eskimo are over filling their gear boxes with excess grease. Not only excess grease but grease that is to heavy for cold conditions.

My Eskimo was doing the same thing after trouble shooting fuel and combustion. I opened up the gearbox and it was packed full of thick blue grease. I removed 50% of the grease. Now it runs like it should.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I have read Eskimo are over filling their gear boxes with excess grease. Not only excess grease but grease that is to heavy for cold conditions.

My Eskimo was doing the same thing after trouble shooting fuel and combustion. I opened up the gearbox and it was packed full of thick blue grease. I removed 50% of the grease. Now it runs like it should.
How old is your Eskimo Auger ?
Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 PM

Does it run better if you choke it? I had a similar issue and it was a gasket crack that led to excess air in the carb/combustion chamber. Had fuel leaking but couldn't see where, most likely gasket crack. Put a new carb on and it seems good now.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I took my auger to the Lawmower hospital for them to check it out this morning . It turns out what was happening to the auger was normal. The Aspen fuel was cleaning out all the old oil deposits and gunk left behind. The bogging and intermittent way the auger was drilling was do to the jets in the carb getting plugged up then clearing itself. I was told this will happen for a bit until all the excess oil and gunk is cleared out of the system. He also suggested replacing the spark plug.

Last edited by Jawjacker; 02-12-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM

So far all the small engines I have used that Aspen fuel in have add problems. My Z51 had to have the entire power head replaced after the first year because all the seals developed a leak. Over the phone I was told the use of any other fuel besides the Eskimo oil voids the warranty. Even after the replacement The Lawnmower Hospital tried to push me back the the Aspen stuff. I switched back to premium gas from shell and the Eskimo oil and haven't had a problem in years. On my last tank of the season I also add a little Seafoam as well.

I sent Ardisam the following email this morning. Ill post the reply when I get one.
Quote:
Hello,
I am writing this in response to several internet threads I have found stating that the use of Aspen Premix Fuel has caused issues with their Eskimo brand ice augers. These issues most notably include damage to the gaskets, seals and overall bogging down of the engine. I was wondering what Ardisams's position on using this fuel is? Is it safe to use this fuel? Does it void the warranty if this fuel is used instead of the regular 50:1 fuel oil mix? What about other additives such as Seafoam or Optifuel?
Thank you for any response you can provide.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
So far all the small engines I have used that Aspen fuel in have add problems. My Z51 had to have the entire power head replaced after the first year because all the seals developed a leak. Over the phone I was told the use of any other fuel besides the Eskimo oil voids the warranty. Even after the replacement The Lawnmower Hospital tried to push me back the the Aspen stuff. I switched back to premium gas from shell and the Eskimo oil and haven't had a problem in years. On my last tank of the season I also add a little Seafoam as well.

I sent Ardisam the following email this morning. Ill post the reply when I get one.
This is awesome . Thank you ghostguy6 . I appreciate the help. I cant wait to read their response .
Old 02-12-2018, 10:24 AM

Go to pump get any gas, add 2 stroke oil 50-1 put in auger and drill. This seems to be to easy so everyone has to over complicate it one way or another.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Go to pump get any gas, add 2 stroke oil 50-1 put in auger and drill. This seems to be to easy so everyone has to over complicate it one way or another.
X2
Old 02-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Love it. All you guys that jumped on board the Aspen train. Us old guys that have been using our 1 mix all Opti for years and have clean as a whistle plugs and engines just may know something.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:02 PM

I always use Stihl 2 stroke oil in my small engines as it contains fuel stabilizer already which is also great when storing in the off-season. I always recommend buying a plastic mixture bottle from Canadian Tire/Princess Auto or wherever so you are sure to get the exact mixture right. You don’t want to run them too rich or too lean. As for Auger’s though, I went to an Ion X electric last year, on my second season now, and have never looked back. It completely eliminates all of the common starting and maintenance problems that gas Auger’s experience. I’ve owned Eskimo, Jiffy, Husqvarna and have had about every problem on the list with those 3, the Ion X is just awesome, I can’t say enough about it, a true game changer on the ice!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Love it. All you guys that jumped on board the Aspen train. Us old guys that have been using our 1 mix all Opti for years and have clean as a whistle plugs and engines just may know something.
Oh here’s another one, magical “Opti” mixed in questionable ratios. 10 suckers on the band wagon posting how great it is for every one post about a burnt up engine.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:40 PM

Mix it the proper way and it does what it supposed to do. Do your own thing and whatever happens is your own fault. Cant help people always think their way is better than what it was designed to do. Great stuff and anyone that has been running it properly will tell you so.

Quote:
Oh here’s another one, magical “Opti” mixed in questionable ratios. 10 suckers on the band wagon posting how great it is for every one post about a burnt up engine.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Mix it the proper way and it does what it supposed to do. Do your own thing and whatever happens is your own fault. Cant help people always think their way is better than what it was designed to do. Great stuff and anyone that has been running it properly will tell you so.
Great 9 more posts like that and then we can get the one about how the magic oil at 70-1 is not so magic.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Funny how Stihl, they may know a thing or two about small engines, will double your warranty if you run their premixed fuel. Good enough for them, by far good enough for my auger, chainsaw, weedwacker etc.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Funny how Stihl, they may know a thing or two about small engines, will double your warranty if you run their premixed fuel. Good enough for them, by far good enough for my auger, chainsaw, weedwacker etc.
Maybe stihl makes more money by selling their premix than they lose out by doing warranty work.... sounds like a good ploy to get people to buy their fuel exclusively...excellent marketing perhaps....but ya I tend to agree that the premix is a better way to go although more expensive way to go.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Actually the more I think about it, the more clever I think stihl is. Every single person almost will buy their exclusive fuel, probably for the life of the product....they turn 5 dollars of gas into 10 for each customer. Kind of a win for the customer as he gets double warranty and a win for stihl as they double the price of fuel sold to customers
Old 02-12-2018, 02:48 PM

I used Aspen in my auger for 2 years. Left a half ish tank full in the spring when I put it away and the next winter. I always started first pull.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You shouldn't run ethanol in 2 stroke engines therefore no you shouldn't just go get any gas as most have ethanol...

Shell premium is ethanol free and considering how little gas you use with an auger the price difference is minimal and is easily offset by the higher quality gas and lack of ethanol.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
You shouldn't run ethanol in 2 stroke engines therefore no you shouldn't just go get any gas as most have ethanol...

Shell premium is ethanol free and considering how little gas you use with an auger the price difference is minimal and is easily offset by the higher quality gas and lack of ethanol.
I've run regular gas, Amsoil and seafoam mix for years in all my small engines for years now and haven't had any issues from ethanol in the fuel. Put the auger away in the spring, fire it up once or twice through the summer to keep the carb from gumming up and seals from drying out, go hard again in the winter with a fresh can of the above mix. I also mix my fuel at around an 80:1 mix roughly...
Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Just an FYI, all Stihl oil sold in Canada is blended and bottled in the Castrol facility in Mississauga to Stihl specs. I’ve toured the facility and seen it personally.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-12-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:

The same applies to 4 stroke engines. Do you fill up your vehicle only at Shell with premium?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
I've run regular gas, Amsoil and seafoam mix for years in all my small engines for years now and haven't had any issues from ethanol in the fuel.
Good for you? Ethanol is proven to have numerous effects on 2 stroke engines from messing up rubber and plastic parts to leaving deposits in carburetors. You might not have problems especially if you are regularly using seafoam to clean up the gunk from your crap gas but if you used the proper gas and took care of your engines you wouldn't even have to use seafoam regularly...

Considering that premium ethanol fuel costs the average guy maybe $1-2 more for the season(not many guys run more then 20 liters through their auger) it is a no brainer to use good gas...
Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Good for you? Ethanol is proven to have numerous effects on 2 stroke engines from messing up rubber and plastic parts to leaving deposits in carburetors. You might not have problems especially if you are regularly using seafoam to clean up the gunk from your crap gas but if you used the proper gas and took care of your engines you wouldn't even have to use seafoam regularly...

Considering that premium ethanol fuel costs the average guy maybe $1-2 more for the season(not many guys run more then 20 liters through their auger) it is a no brainer to use good gas...
I have no doubt that ethanol has been proven to do all those things. My point was that your better off putting the extra couple bucks towards a can of seafoam vs buying the premium. The seafoam is just good stuff, and even if I was so inclined to run around for a couple bucks worth of premium gas I'd still use the seafoam so why bother. And just because I don't buy premium for my small engines doesn't mean I don't look after my engines so don't even go there. There's more to engine care then just the type of gas you buy...
Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
I have no doubt that ethanol has been proven to do all those things. My point was that your better off putting the extra couple bucks towards a can of seafoam vs buying the premium. The seafoam is just good stuff, and even if I was so inclined to run around for a couple bucks worth of premium gas I'd still use the seafoam so why bother. And just because I don't buy premium for my small engines doesn't mean I don't look after my engines so don't even go there. There's more to engine care then just the type of gas you buy...
We are talking maybe $2-3 a year... Most people waste that much money every single day...

It is simply a good practice and is cost effective in avoiding issues on 2-strokes.

Do whatever floats your boat. I am just commented so people realize they should use premium ethanol free fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1 View Post
The same applies to 4 stroke engines. Do you fill up your vehicle only at Shell with premium?
1) These 2 stroke engines are used sporadically. Regular use of vehicles help avoid some of these issues.

2) Most vehicles have been designed to run on gas with ethanol.

3) Premium gas in an auger will cost you about $2 per year. Premium gas in your vehicle will costs hundreds.

4) Cleaners like Hunter Trav mentioned are cost effective alternatives in a vehicle due to point 3.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I took my auger to the Lawmower hospital for them to check it out this morning . It turns out what was happening to the auger was normal. The Aspen fuel was cleaning out all the old oil deposits and gunk left behind. The bogging and intermittent way the auger was drilling was do to the jets in the carb getting plugged up then clearing itself. I was told this will happen for a bit until all the excess oil and gunk is cleared out of the system. He also suggested replacing the spark plug.
All good now. Auger runs perfect. Wow was it ever gummed up with excess oil.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 PM

Run gas through tell its clean and idling smooth then replace the spark plug. Mix your own gas and throw an once or two of seafoam in every gallon of gas mixed and your golden.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:42 AM

Shell premium, oil at 50.1 and a little bit of seafoam. is all you need. Don't use anything else. My Eskimo runs on this and usually starts 1 - 2 pulls with choke on for over 5 years and no problems at all. You may have to change your spark plug now because of the high oil content from before.

Buddy just got a auger that was sitting for 3 years or more and the oil content looked like it was 1 to 1 . Haha. Drained gas and put in some of my gas with some extra seafoam to clean it out and this pig fired up, first pull.

Seafoam is my go to stuff ( first choice ) if any small engine is not working correctly.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.

Last edited by Kim473; 02-14-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
Run gas through tell its clean and idling smooth then replace the spark plug. Mix your own gas and throw an once or two of seafoam in every gallon of gas mixed and your golden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Shell premium, oil at 50.1 and a little bit of seafoam. is all you need. Don't use anything else. My Eskimo runs on this and usually starts 1 - 2 pulls with choke on for over 5 years and no problems at all. You may have to change your spark plug now because of the high oil content from before.

Buddy just got a auger that was sitting for 3 years or more and the oil content looked like it was 1 to 1 . Haha. Drained gas and put in some of my gas with some extra seafoam to clean it out and this pig fired up, first pull.

Seafoam is my go to stuff ( first choice ) if any small engine is not working correctly.
Thanks guys . I appreciate the help
Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 AM

Let us know what you did and how it works out.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.