Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Well I am all for boycotting AHEIA and ACA if possible now!

So now we have hunting groups fighting their own to shut down hunting lol No more spears in Alberta I guess. Not that it changes the way I hunt. I don't ever plan on using one but to take others right away to use one sure ticks me off. Anyone involved in these groups can give their heads a shake!

"In an interview with Postmedia, Environment Minister Shannon Phillips said the change is a result of extensive consultations with hunting associations, the Alberta Conservation Association and the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association."

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...nting-big-game

Last edited by nube; 02-07-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

Well you can do that by not buying a hunting licence
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM

AHEIA administers all instructors for the CFSC, and CRFSC, they also administer the Hunter Ed training in Alberta, guess what it’s mandated through law that if you want to hunt with a firearm in Alberta, your pretty much stuck dealing with them. So pretty hard to boycott them.

ACA gets levies from all hunting and angling licence sales in Alberta. Pretty hard to boycott them.

This could be an election issue I guess where these two orgs have shown they are willing to meddle in contentious subjects, and therefore should loose their monopoly on their areas of control. Other than that maybe don’t buy raffle tickets they might offer up..... I dunno pretty tough row to till I’d say.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Is it possible to hunt legally and not support those groups haaha..
Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 PM

I’m an instructor with aheia And I heard nothing about this whole thing, I’m guessing they talked to 1or 2 people from the organization who happened to agree with the position. ACA don’t know what they do really so can’t really speak to that
Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 PM

Default Spears

Ms Phillips says hunting groups (AHEIA and ACA to name 2)were consulted she didn't say they supported the changes.
This is similar to the consultation we are seeing on changes to the Fishing Regulations. Ensure you ask the questions that will give you the answers you want and call it consultation.

Phil
Old 02-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Banned

I highly doubt that any hunting association(s) could have said or done anything to stop the banning of spears. To name two of them is a little unfair IMO.

I don’t know much about the ACA but they appear to be completely transparent with everything they say and do including posting minutes from meetings and financial statements on their website. I’m sure that if someone was so inclined he could research the ACA’s involvement and position wrt the spear issue.

They seem to be much more transparent, organized and professional than at least one association that I have been a member of in the past. My interest is peaked in supporting the ACA.

Last edited by HunterDave; 02-08-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:04 AM

Blame YouTube for this.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 AM

Strange that a person can't use a spear here in Alberta, but the opposite across the rest of Canada and around the world.

Lots of spear Harvesting in the North and other places around the world.

Very affective tool with thousands of years of gathering game, birds and seals to Whales along with fishing.

Of course this band I heard is not to use a spear for big game only. Don't know since I haven't seen the plan on it yet.

Don
Old 02-08-2018, 06:19 AM

I'd say their backs were against the wall on this one, there's some fights you can't win.

Don't forget, hunting is not a right, it's a privilege.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:33 AM

Yes I understand that we ares stuck and they receive funds from hunters no matter what but there are a lot of things they do that you have a choice in. They have multiple programs and other ways of making their money.

Some here say we don't have a choice? What happened to fight for your rights or should I say Privilege because I am not of a certain colour.......
I was given a hard time a few weeks ago for not wanting to belong to a group here in Alberta. This is such a perfect example of why not. All these groups are either spineless and won't stand up to issues like this or all they want to do is destroy something if they don't feel it is right. Divided we fall and we are falling!
Thee 2 groups better come out with a statement if they did not support banning spears soon and if not I would say they are traitors to the hunting world plain and simple!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:05 AM

So your "boycott" of these two organizations is based on the information you got from an article in the Edmonton Journal? Interesting. Personally, I'm skeptical at best of anything I read in the media these days.

Also, other than the automatic levies from that go to these organizations from the hunting licenses etc. that you purchase if you choose to hunt in this province, what other support, financial or otherwise, are you providing to them that you are now planning to cut off? ie. other than a half-cocked rant on AO, what exactly is this "boycott" going to involve?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:33 AM

Both my boys got their hunter education through AHEIA. They were excellent to work with have nothing but good to say about AHEIA.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:38 AM

Default A good idea?

Do you really think that it is a good idea to promote fighting amoung ourselves.

Doesn't sound right to me. How about political action? The government would love to find a way to get some support from this group here.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 AM

It's pretty hard to boycott those two organizations, but our club took action to boycott AFGA who also supported the ban. We boycotted them by breaking all affiliation with them, which deprived them of over $60,000 per year in membership dues, as well as other funding our club brought them.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's pretty hard to boycott those two organizations, but our club took action to boycott AFGA who also supported the ban. We boycotted them by breaking all affiliation with them, which deprived them of over $60,000 per year in membership dues, as well as other funding our club brought them.
How did they react to that??
Old 02-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Blame YouTube for this.
Nope blame weak minded people for this and all who pushed it through.
Some just can't see past thier noses, have tunnel vision and our completely out of tune to consequences to pizzz poor decisions.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-08-2018, 08:36 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Good on You folks for making a stand against fools.

Last edited by 58thecat; 02-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
I'd say their backs were against the wall on this one, there's some fights you can't win.

Don't forget, hunting is not a right, it's a privilege.
Then you go down swinging not standing there with a wet spot running down your leg.
Hunting to some is a right, most of us it's a privilege but that's another fight.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

90% or $14,570,386 of their revenue last year was from licences

73,833 from donations.

we better cut those donations back
Old 02-08-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
How did they react to that??
They started out by telling us that without their affiliation, we would not be able to secure liability insurance for our ranges. When we we informed them that we had already secured better coverage for a lower rate, they tried to convince us that no reputable company would carry us, and we responded that as far as we were concerned, Lloyds of London was more reputable than their provider. Then they used the e-mails that we supplied to try and convince our members to join their organization as individuals. They even started a rumor that our club had no liability insurance, to try to leverage people to join to receive their insurance. Eventually they gave up, and the extra $60,000 per year was used to provide better facilities for our members.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
They started out by telling us that without their affiliation, we would not be able to secure liability insurance for our ranges. When we we informed them that we had already secured better coverage for a lower rate, they tried to convince us that no reputable company would carry us, and we responded that as far as we were concerned, Lloyds of London was more reputable than their provider. Then they used the e-mails that we supplied to try and convince our members to join their organization as individuals. They even started a rumor that our club had no liability insurance, to try to leverage people to join to receive their insurance. Eventually they gave up, and the extra $60,000 per year was used to provide better facilities for our members.
Seems you beat the bully, good on your club.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Seems you beat the bully, good on your club.
We didn't miss them a bit, and we certainly didn't miss all of that money going to their new clubhouse, when there are so many other uses that it could be put towards.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Maybe we need to start pressuring social media and the government to stop allowing such disturbing images on such sites. Can someone just post anything. There must be some laws for what images a person can post. What's to stop some antihunting group from posting a BS. Video and use it against hunters. They must be on to the fact that the power of social media has as a tool for thier agendas. I could live without hunting mags or tv shows.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Do you really think that it is a good idea to promote fighting amoung ourselves.

Doesn't sound right to me. How about political action? The government would love to find a way to get some support from this group here.
Yes, I find the OP kinda funny.
In his opening post he chastises hunting groups for fighting against themselves and then suggests we do exactly the same...fight two of the most hunting positive groups we have.
All based on an article in the Journal...a known supporter of left wing causes.
Seems a bit off to me.
Nube...have you actually contacted either of these groups to confirm that is their stance??
Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Then you go down swinging not standing there with a wet spot running down your leg.
Hunting to some is a right, most of us it's a privilege but that's another fight.

I agree you got to make a stand at one point or another. Having groups apposed to any legal type of hunting is not right plain and simple.
There are a lot of things I may not like but I am not going to shut them down because I don't like them.
It's kinda like the Quad vs horse guys trying to shut each other down.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Yes, I find the OP kinda funny.
In his opening post he chastises hunting groups for fighting against themselves and then suggests we do exactly the same...fight two of the most hunting positive groups we have.
All based on an article in the Journal...a known supporter of left wing causes.
Seems a bit off to me.
Nube...have you actually contacted either of these groups to confirm that is their stance??
Not sure if I suggest fighting? I suggest we get a spine and stop supporting the people and groups that want to take hunting opportunities away from people in this province.
And if you think the news article is fake then why would they tell us which organizations they had contacted? Until they both come out with a statement about it and say they are not in support of banning spears then it is not looking good on who they support.
And Yes emails have been sent asking what their stance is.......
I find it interesting so many people are ok with taking hunting opportunities away from others!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Not sure if I suggest fighting? I suggest we get a spine and stop supporting the people and groups that want to take hunting opportunities away from people in this province.
And if you think the news article is fake then why would they tell us which organizations they had contacted? Until they both come out with a statement about it and say they are not in support of banning spears then it is not looking good on who they support.
And Yes emails have been sent asking what their stance is.......
I find it interesting so many people are ok with taking hunting opportunities away from others!
I agree, it is getting to the point where I am thinking about lobbying to take away others hunting opportunities just because they took away mine.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:43 AM

It's the all about me attitude. The bow hunters want more so they take what they can get.
The OHV guys want
The horse guys want
Some just want more opportunity so killing a truckload of doe is cool with them
Some want big racks and want to shut it all down so there are a lot of booners running around!
We are all guilty to some degree and I am not saying I am perfect either but we are self destructing I see pretty fast the last handful of years.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Banned

I would like to see hunting opportunities improve for RESIDENTS. If that’s a me attitude, I can live with that. Time to limit non- residents. It is time we ALL stick together to insure access by foot, horse, atv is not lost. Also all types of hunting need to be retained. The spear ban is just a start for the tree huggers.