Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-05-2018, 05:29 PM

Default Bow hunters paradise

Drive up 1a to grand valley road,them proceed about 20 minutes up this road,You will came to a sharp left turn not far from the only stop sign,On the left side watch for a sign rr24,Its a dead end,you will see a sign public hunting reserve.Maybe not a full section,with V gates for easy enter.Its virgin forest,no atv,horses,cows,fires,walking only.This way for years.
All around no hunting,no trepassing,keep out signs.The deer criss cross back and forth leaveing well worn trails,High limbless tree ideal for tree stands.Inside the wire you are free no permission required roam at will,pick up a few grouse in season.If you walk quitely you maybe able to jump shoot. At
late evening the white tail come over the wire be ready.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Drive up 1a to grand valley road,them proceed about 20 minutes up this road,You will came to a sharp left turn not far from the only stop sign,On the left side watch for a sign rr24,Its a dead end,you will see a sign public hunting reserve.Maybe not a full section,with V gates for easy enter.Its virgin forest,no atv,horses,cows,fires,walking only.This way for years.
All around no hunting,no trepassing,keep out signs.The deer criss cross back and forth leaveing well worn trails,High limbless tree ideal for tree stands.Inside the wire you are free no permission required roam at will,pick up a few grouse in season.If you walk quitely you maybe able to jump shoot. At
Tell me more of this magical place you speak of
Old 02-05-2018, 06:34 PM

I going out on the limb here but it sounds like Brandon, MB.....
Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
and why exactly would you announce a spot like this on the internet ? You must be very new at this game.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Default bowman

The direction are very clear,only a few miles from cochrane.Someone asked why i would announce such a spot.I have permission to hunt on private land in many areas .this for people who dont have permission and want a good place to hunt.I have been hunting and guideing for many years,an ex market hunter.I get a deer or two every year all i need.this a designated area to the people of alberta.The sign gives the history of the gentleman who did so.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:30 AM

Default sounds like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccan View Post
I going out on the limb here but it sounds like Brandon, MB.....
Actually not all that far from cochrane,Use a bow,give it a try eary season,for sure a high probabability area.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:40 AM

So it's in that spot between where the road turns west, and back north again?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 AM

Default bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Tell me more of this magical place you speak of
Not much to tell not all that far from cochrane,gave to the people of alberta by a land owner,surrounded by private land mostly posted,with a big pop of white tail deer,who dont seem to know about it either.You could could scout it out now and for sure trampled with deer tracks--Use a bow?give it a try a high probabability area.cheers.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:08 AM

Used to be a great spot.... Until word got out. The place looks like Chinook mall on Dec 26th sales day.... And many people have no issue parking beside you and following you through the woods. Brutal there now. Good luck to anyone going....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
and why exactly would you announce a spot like this on the internet ? You must be very new at this game.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Default direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
So it's in that spot between where the road turns west, and back north again?
Not sure about that,but not far from the only stop sign.This an excellant area for eary season bow hunting,Bow guys are excellant hunters,quite,descented, camoed,tree stands and trail camers out eary,no loud talking,door slamming.To the stands before daylight,and you will never hear that bow go off.Pulling that big deer out before you know it two other guys with bows pulling on your rope.The area all around posted with heavy whitetail population gives this area a high probabability for success.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Used to be a great spot.... Until word got out. The place looks like Chinook mall on Dec 26th sales day.... And many people have no issue parking beside you and following you through the woods. Brutal there now. Good luck to anyone going....
Now that makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying the truth about that location, there isn't spots like that, especially close to Calgary. Too Funny...
Old 02-06-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
^Yep, agreed. Was a good spot.

(Of course, I'm kidding as I've never been there but hoping that my typing that response will keep everyone else away from that spot so that I can go check it out.... )

J.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly... He's probably got an agenda with the area or it's residents.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:24 PM

Please add your best 16 inch perch spot too and we can have a great surf and turf day
Old 02-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I'm sure all the regulars who been hunting it for years will be real impressed.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:12 PM

And the few people that currently hunt that area are not very happy with u now.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Hunting spot

This spot not a private or secret spot,its just off the main grand valley road,everone passes by it huntedby hundreds.281a rr54.The bow hunters know best how to hunt the big herd of human way whitetails in this area.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:41 PM

Default bowmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I'm sure all the regulars who been hunting it for years will be real impressed.
Just though i would drop you a line, this small area, surrounded by posted land, is in fact on the main grand valley road, there may be regulars,but for sure no secret hundreds hunt there. The deer numerous just outside the wire.
I call it bow hunters paradise because the skill,knowledge,patience,gear it takes to make them successful will work here I E Go to the back fence find a well worn trail,put a tree stand up facing the wire. When the gang is gone things quite down, evening approaches, they come quietly slowly--be ready.

Grand valley road to rr54 good luck.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Lmao. Pretty persistent to be giving guys directions over and over and over and over.....

You must have something against someone around there. It does get pounded hard, I used to live 2 miles from there and it’s not what it used to be.

Also be careful where you step if you’re over there, some of the adjacent landowners are far from friendly.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Bowhunter

No nothing on the go, hunt there 3-4 times a year, But your right about the locals being hostile. The point of the thread, A lot of bow hunters do not have a place to hunt,this a good permission free place. And in spite of all day heavy hunting, just at dark there seems to be a few of the big herd of white tail surrounding the area jump the wire, i got several there over the years and its always just at dark.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:38 AM

If your going that far it’s better to head a bit further west or NW.
Drive another 20-30 minutes and there’s 1000’s of square KM of crown land... There’s so much space for bow hunters close to Calgary that to bow hunt that small spot with crazy azz neighbours ready to shoot your truck windows out... Seems like it isn’t worth the time or the risk.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:20 PM

Default bow hunting

Yes for sure lots of places to hunt, I have hunted there about 12 seasons never a problem with the locals, mater of fact there is a skier i have met many times has a farm close by, he was the one who clued me in,about the fact, as soon as the hunters leave,the deer go over the wire, as a result i have picked up several deer just at dark. Hunters has made it bad for themselves,road shooting, hunting among livestock with out permission, etc. Stay inside the wire, hunt this area right, easy deer.This is area 314 for $20.00 you can get two doe tags, good for after nov 1, One of those tags good in 314. Those high limbless trees were made for tree stands.The deer trails well beaten in the virgin forest floor.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Hilltop 43723

Interesting! I may have to check this out
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Sounds like a great place to go.... See below... "hundreds hunt there" this is only a half section.... Be safe people, be safe... and take a number...
Unreal.....

Quote:
Just though i would drop you a line, this small area, surrounded by posted land, is in fact on the main grand valley road, there may be regulars,but for sure no secret hundreds hunt there. The deer numerous just outside the wire.
I call it bow hunters paradise because the skill,knowledge,patience,gear it takes to make them successful will work here I E Go to the back fence find a well worn trail,put a tree stand up facing the wire. When the gang is gone things quite down, evening approaches, they come quietly slowly--be ready.

Grand valley road to rr54 good luck.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM

In interest of those already hostile sounding landowners, perhaps this thread should be deleted before the hunting community gets ever more negative press. Every time I see a hunting or fishing location posted online it becomes a dumping ground within a few years. Anyone remember what happened to Legends on the NSR? Just remember for every 1 or 2 respectful members on this forum there are 100's if not more just lurking for information.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM

Default Hunting

You are absolutely right, hunting as we know it rapidly changeing,the tremendous influx of new hunters, atvs.more people competeing for less game.The farmers under attack by the criminal element,suspicion, permission understandable harder to come by. The long term alberta hunter who for years had it there own way are under duress, not takeing it well, and things are only going to get worse.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:27 PM

So yote,
U still think this thread was a good idea ?
It’s ok to say “no“ and “please delete”

TBark
Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 PM

Default shareing

I finally get to the point of this thread its about a concept called shareing,and unity,and positive though and suggestion. case and point this small public area ,how about we make it a bow area only and a weekly draw of 15 hunters throughout the season.the locals will be happy with no gunfire,the big deer population in the area could easily sustain the hunt.We have to learn to share and cooperate if as hunters we are to survive.