Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Just like broadheads aren't designed to stay in an animal, difference being is that the weight of the spear handle is much more than an arrow and it will come out on its own easier because of the weight of the handle flopping around.

Hope that makes sense.
Make sense. I'd guess it's probably pretty likely to get knocked out hitting a tree too, if it were really in there.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
We should be self regulating by ethics, not turning a blind eye because of fear.
As has been mentioned, ethics is not a line drawn in sand, it is different for everyone. As for fear? No, reality.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
As has been mentioned, ethics is not a line drawn in sand, it is different for everyone. As for fear? No, reality.
So you are "pro" someones right to kill a moose simply for the antlers, leaving all the meat in the bush?

Probably not. As are most other hunters. Like I've said, the arguement "ethics are blurry so leave it alone" only works until it's something against your ethics. I doubt you'd support trapping elk as a new way of hunting... Someone out there would want to do it. But we (the majority of our community) would say "no".
Old 02-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
So you are "pro" someones right to kill a moose simply for the antlers, leaving all the meat in the bush?

Probably not. As are most other hunters. Like I've said, the arguement "ethics are blurry so leave it alone" only works until it's something against your ethics. I doubt you'd support trapping elk as a new way of hunting... Someone out there would want to do it. But we (the majority of our community) would say "no".
oh boy!
Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 PM

I think this thread has had some articulate points in favour of spear hunting, but if AHEIA came out with a public statement that ethics had no place in hunting and we should just let people do whatever they want because it is their right... well this would end hunting.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 05:35 PM

I have not seen the word "right' applied to hunting except on a few
occasions by those who do not know it is a priviledge .. not a right, in Canada. Indigenous people are the only ones with hunting rights in this Country.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:39 PM

People are forgetting that it was and is hunters, fishermen and other outdoorsmen that started implementing seasons, limits, protected species and protected areas NOT the Green Party, PETA or some other outside organisations that are concerned about Bambi.

Organizations like Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Trout Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, etc., etc., etc., were all started by hunters and anglers to truly protect wildlife.The true enemy of wildlife is habitat loss and these hunting and fishing organizations protect more wildlife than all others combined.

Someone humanly killing a bear by any means is completely irrelevant to the welfare of wildlife. His life style (buying licenses, buying equipment, hiring outfitters and probably membership in outdoor groups like above) has done more for the protection of wildlife than any 10 members of a PETA type organization.

We should be proud that we hunt by any means because without active participation wildlife would truly suffer. Death is a part of the real world not some dirty little secret we should be hiding from. Those that deny the fact that death is real and sometimes messy are the same folks that think food comes from the grocery store.

You people that want to live in a fantasy world where death is clean and painless are as out of touch as the PETA crowd. Animals are dying every minute of everyday all over the world in far worse ways than this now infamous bear. In fact, if you had any understanding of nature you would understand how lucky a humanly harvested animal is.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 AM

Default why so many regs

makes me wonder when people say hunting is a priviledge not a right.. when does it become a right to protect your crops and feed people. the ditches in our area of full of dead deer from cars hitting them and this how the goverment manages this resouse. would it be so bad to have no hunting at all on half of all crown land and let nature govern itself and let private land be managed by the land owner