Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 PM

Old 07-24-2015, 06:56 PM

omg ...lmao ...thats a helluva scope .....

ill have to get one of those new calibre weaopns your talikng about and sell my 50 bmg for chump change now .... guess its irrelevant ...maybe a 600 yard gopher gun i suppose
Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krprice84 View Post
I personally find 2400 yards to be a little, well (no offense), close, for my liking. With the laser like ballistic profile and trajectory, I find it is pretty much a "point and click" operation out to about 8 or 9km (using my Nightforce 192x304mm scope, mounted, of course, on what are known as 'Uber-High' rings). After that distance, I begin to find that the Coriolis effect has a significant effect on the trajectory of the bullet.

I'm hoping that my latest wildcat, known as the .45-70 Bomassbiznatch, will actually actively counter the coriolis effect, through what I have dubbed 'the counter coriolis twist rate theorum'. It's a whole lot of sciency-speak gobbledy-gook (I'm sure the OP is more than capable of understanding it though, so he can PM me about this round if he likes), but the gist of it is, this bullet will fly straight for many km. The downside of it is, you need a different barrel for each direction you shoot in.
Now, keep in mind a round as flat shooting as than can be dangerous. If you stand still long enough after pulling the trigger you are at risk of shooting yourself in the back of the head. All precautions to avoid this are advised!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I personally find 2400 yards to be a little, well (no offense), close, for my liking. With the laser like ballistic profile and trajectory, I find it is pretty much a "point and click" operation out to about 8 or 9km (using my Nightforce 192x304mm scope, mounted, of course, on what are known as 'Uber-High' rings). After that distance, I begin to find that the Coriolis effect has a significant effect on the trajectory of the bullet.

I'm hoping that my latest wildcat, known as the .45-70 Bomassbiznatch, will actually actively counter the coriolis effect, through what I have dubbed 'the counter coriolis twist rate theorum'. It's a whole lot of sciency-speak gobbledy-gook (I'm sure the OP is more than capable of understanding it though, so he can PM me about this round if he likes), but the gist of it is, this bullet will fly straight for many km. The downside of it is, you need a different barrel for each direction you shoot in.
Does it matter if you shoot this east or west? Might be able to get away with a north barrel and a south barrel.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
omg ...lmao ...thats a helluva scope .....

ill have to get one of those new calibre weaopns your talikng about and sell my 50 bmg for chump change now .... guess its irrelevant ...maybe a 600 yard gopher gun i suppose
Geeze, don't sell it. Get it bored out to a 150 sbmg. It's got about the same muzzle energy as a BFG 2000 but with less recoil. Down side is rounds cost about 3 bucks each but at a mile and a half the gophers might as well be 500 yard pie plates.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Does it matter if you shoot this east or west? Might be able to get away with a north barrel and a south barrel.
North and south is just Kentucky windage, but you need a right hand twist for east and a left for west.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
North and south is just Kentucky windage, but you need a right hand twist for east and a left for west.
School is never out. I thought that because of the earths rotation and its alignment to Jupiter that the twist wouldn't make a difference east or west.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
School is never out. I thought that because of the earths rotation and its alignment to Jupiter that the twist wouldn't make a difference east or west.
I suppose it all depends on which way your toilet water swirls
Old 07-27-2015, 08:14 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Guys!

I can't believe this thread is still going ... too funny

Don't stop!

Mac
Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 PM

Gentlemen, in all seriousness, this thread is getting old. The 45-70 vs 300 rum debate has been beat to death. It's like flogging a dead troll. We might as well argue which is better bait: billy goats or the blood of young Christian men.

Colin
Old 07-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Banned

That "venom" guy revived it from 2 months ago. He should NOT be banned....no, he should be tarred and feathered.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
That "venom" guy revived it from 2 months ago. He should NOT be banned....no, he should be tarred and feathered.
Methinks he did not get the joke.

Wait...what was the joke again?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Methinks he did not get the joke.

Wait...what was the joke again?
It only perpetrates threads that are divisive amongst the hunting community. Such as those started by edmhunter way back then in regards to crossbows and recurves. Guys are still fighting over a thread that was started way back then by someone that's been banned long ago. As huntinstuff once stated, all that the anti's have to do to gather their ammunition is look right here upon this forum to see the divisions that separate us. If we can't stand together united, then we are doomed....NO?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
It only perpetrates threads that are divisive amongst the hunting community. Such as those started by edmhunter way back then in regards to crossbows and recurves. Guys are still fighting over a thread that was started way back then by someone that's been banned long ago. As huntinstuff once stated, all that the anti's have to do to gather their ammunition is look right here upon this forum to see the divisions that separate us. If we can't stand together united, then we are doomed....NO?
Exactly. I suppose it is better to joke about it. But then again some good and decent folks get dragged down with the trolls. United we stand, divided we're just a bunch of young Christians, with blood.

Colin
Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 PM

With the power of the 45/70 casing harnessed to a rocket we would be able to reach the next solar system in approximately 1/2 the time a techy from NASA told me when I called about this possibility. He told me yes there definatley looking into it and thanks for the call.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 PM

Just a sec...

Sorry Yvon, I can just keep rollin'em out. This thread could become mandatory reading for all new members.

...Makes sense, Wolf. Actually the original design of the 45-70 was based on an ancient Chinese war rocket. Where do you suppose we got gunpowder from in the first place?

Colin
Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Whatcha talking about? Outhouse water doesn't swirl and only in the spring does the outhouse hole have water. Kind of works like a beday. This requires further study on my part.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Well we could discuss the merits of marbles vs 3/4 crushed gravel in slingshots.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 PM

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you guys have all shot the new 22 destroyer. 50bmg necked down to 22. Rumour has it they're working on a 6.5mm version as well
Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom725 View Post
.45-70 gov't . you will not regret it
Just the regular .45-70 for me please.

We all know that the Government RARELY works
Old 07-27-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJeep View Post
So I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you guys have all shot the new 22 destroyer. 50bmg necked down to 22. Rumour has it they're working on a 6.5mm version as well
That's still only 2 nd to the flatter shooting 45/70. Both are quite adequate though in shooting down the death star. The 22 destroyer does have an edge though In piercing it completely and hence damaging more internal operations/vitals. Because of its small OD projectile. But it's minimal. The 45 calibre round might pass thru AND cause a x 2.2 bigger hole.

The Empire is currently trying to confiscate all 45/70 and 22 destroyer calibre weaopns to ensure there battle station retains the distinction of being the ultimate power in the universe.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Now, keep in mind a round as flat shooting as than can be dangerous. If you stand still long enough after pulling the trigger you are at risk of shooting yourself in the back of the head. All precautions to avoid this are advised!!!
Gotta know your back stop with this bad boy
Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
It actually depends far more on the rotation of Pluto's moon Nex. It is actually a super-dense body whose gravity affects high speed projectiles on earth. It cancels out the effect of the alignment with Jupiter and, thus, the Coriolis effect is still very much a factor.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Oh c'mon this is fun. I've already patented my new round, there will be moo bickering about someone stealing it. It's been patented and will be freely available under the GNU licensing agreement Linux uses.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 AM
Banned

Deep in the laird of castle gray skull I've been working on my crossman bb gun. I've modified the barrel with toilet paper rolls and gorilla tape and attached a water bed bag to the pump action it takes exactly 150.000.000 pumps but I am now able to crack off a 600 nitro express from Alberta to the moon. If you look closely at the moon this evening with your kaleidoscope you will see I'm working on a smiley face.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Adventurer View Post
Deep in the laird of castle gray skull I've been working on my crossman bb gun. I've modified the barrel with toilet paper rolls and gorilla tape and attached a water bed bag to the pump action it takes exactly 150.000.000 pumps but I am now able to crack off a 600 nitro express from Alberta to the moon. If you look closely at the moon this evening with your kaleidoscope you will see I'm working on a smiley face.
Sweet Jesus man! You must be absolutely bonkers!

I like it!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Adventurer View Post
You must have a arm on you like Popeyes or lots a alone time practicing?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
There are ways to practice pumping, especially it's a typical "pump action" type.... Sometimes it helps to grip the gun between your legs and grab the for grip with your thumb pointing towards the muzzle. Muscle memory you see
Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
There are ways to practice pumping, especially it's a typical "pump action" type.... Sometimes it helps to grip the gun between your legs and grab the for grip with your thumb pointing towards the muzzle. Muscle memory you see
Lol
Old 07-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes yes and me spinach has more benefits than one, a properly placed thumb on me corn cob pipe releases my inner strength for a more direct muzzle blast.