Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Default The definition of gong show

Yesterday, one of my husbands and my hunting buddies was doing a job at a gas plant when three bull moose walked across the lease. He called up our other hunting buddy and told him "Bring your gun... oh and stop by my place and grab mine too!".

Both of them hold bull moose tags. Out to the lease the one goes while the other sits there watching the moose. At 16:30, two of the moose are on the ground and the work begins. By the time the quad, both moose, and the trucks were in town it was 19:30 and the moose still needed to be skinned and quartered. It took five men, and three teenage boys until 23:00 to get the moose skinned and quartered. What an ordeal... A ton of work, too many people for the space available, and many different ideas on how to do it combined with beer... Not to mention the three dogs trying to get at the meat.

I might not have delt with the moose but one of our hunting buddies wife and I had to deal with eight hungry males... Needless to say I am exhausted at work today.

Man, am I glad that I decided to forgo my calf moose on the day my husband shot his bull moose even though it was only half a km away and I had a chance at it. One moose is a lot of work but two is just plain and simply a gong show... but I'll never complain. All the freezers are full this winter.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMiss View Post
Yesterday, one of my husbands and my hunting buddies was doing a job at a gas plant when three bull moose walked across the lease. He called up our other hunting buddy and told him "Bring your gun... oh and stop by my place and grab mine too!".

Both of them hold bull moose tags. Out to the lease the one goes while the other sits there watching the moose. At 16:30, two of the moose are on the ground and the work begins. By the time the quad, both moose, and the trucks were in town it was 19:30 and the moose still needed to be skinned and quartered. It took five men, and three teenage boys until 23:00 to get the moose skinned and quartered. What an ordeal... A ton of work, too many people for the space available, and many different ideas on how to do it combined with beer... Not to mention the three dogs trying to get at the meat.

I might not have delt with the moose but one of our hunting buddies wife and I had to deal with eight hungry males... Needless to say I am exhausted at work today.

Man, am I glad that I decided to forgo my calf moose on the day my husband shot his bull moose even though it was only half a km away and I had a chance at it. One moose is a lot of work but two is just plain and simply a gong show... but I'll never complain. All the freezers are full this winter.
how many husbands do you have?...
Old 11-25-2010, 09:16 AM

How many husbands do you have?...haha
Good stuff! Those moose are big animals and take both time and muscle to skin quarter and hang.
I have done two moose several times in one day but when you shoot three bulls in one day with 5 guys then you find out just what you are made out of. Gut, Skin, Quarter, Pack out, hang.....it sure aint no deer hunting and I love it!!!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM

Haha Bonecollector great minds think alike just posted at the same time!!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 AM

Clarification:

I have one husband and there were two hunting buddies, a coworker, and three teenage boys. This skinning and quartering took place at the residence of one of the hunting buddies and his wife was present.

There were only two moose harvested yesterday. My husband harvested his two weeks ago.

Lol... I know after re-reading it, it was quite confusing...lol

Like I said it was such a gong show I can't even discribe it clearly.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMiss View Post

Good God... lol... Let's fix this...

Should have read...

Yesterday, one our hunting buddies...

THis is going to be a long day... HAHAHAHA
Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Thought this post might be from Utah at first. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Gone Hunting

They can be a lot of work, but with some shortcuts and help it can be done fairly quick.

When I was guiding, my boss taught me several shortcuts that really help.

Between the two of us, and with the help of two clients, we butchered and loaded one bull in just over 15 minutes, very late one evening. It was the fastest we had ever done a Moose. We didn't skin those Moose until we had them hanging from the game poles back at camp. We just gutted and quartered them.

I think our average time was about 45 minutes per Moose. Plus another hour or more to skin once we got them to camp.

One of our fastest shortcuts was the way we quartered our Moose.

We used a chainsaw to do all the bone cutting. The saw was bought new, for that purpose, and was never used for anything else. We used cooking oil in the chain oil tank, and thoroughly cleaned the saw after every use.

It worked very well. But I didn't care for the bone chips that got caught in the meat along the cut. They were imposable to remove completely.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
Thought this post might be from Utah at first. Thanks for clarifying!
lol ya that or BC...bountiful more specifically
Old 11-25-2010, 05:25 PM

They used a reciprocating saw to quarter it. I think it was a combination of too many people, too many ideas, and way too many beer that made it the spectacle that it was.

Oh yeah, and trying to teach the kids with the above combination probably didn't help.

If it was any night other than a work night it probably wouldn't seem so bad today...lol