Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2010, 03:45 PM

Default Rookie question...

If you are going out hunting with a buddy and you have an antlered tag and he has an antlerless tag, does it matter which of you actually makes the kill on each tag as long as there are valid tags for the animal?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Its called party hunting and its illegal. The only legal way to party hunt is with the moose partner license.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Actually it does make a difference.

The person who has the tag issued in their name is supposed to harvest the animal. Otherwise shooting an animal you do not actually have a tag (in your name) is illegal.
It is unlawful to

● apply on draws or obtain recreational licences in Alberta if your right to obtain hunting licences is
suspended in Alberta or elsewhere.
● carry or use another person's licence or tag or allow another person to use your licence or tag.

There are certain situations where a "partner licence" can be obtained and you will find this information in the "Guide to the Regulations"

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

Next question... So far I have been the only one traipsing through the bush hunting my husband sat in the truck... but...

Is it considered partner hunting to have someone hunting with you, with his own tags, as long as he harvests his own animals? When reading the regs my understanding was that the partners were filling the same tag.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Last rookie question for now... As I think I have mentioned once or twice somewhere in the threads, this is the first time I have ever held my own tags... I have played spotter for many hunts but never actually hunted.

I have the regs open on my computer as we speak and I am just trying to clarify them...

Here is the senario:

You go hunting with some friends. You set up camp. Each of you does your own hunting. You fill your tag and hang it at camp.

Do you need to physically be at the camp the whole time the animal is hanging? If you still have other tags to fill and your buddy has filled his only tag and is staying in camp, can you go out and try to fill your other tags and leave your animal at the camp with your buddy? Another senario for the same question, if you get an emergency call can you leave your tagged animal with your buddy and respond to the call? Do you have to try to bring your tagged animal with you?

Last question:

Can your buddy transport your tagged animal to town for you if you are not physically in the vehicle? i.e. You follow his truck in your SUV...

I have never been in any of hese situation but i have a habbit of thinking "what if?" I just really don't want to inadvertently step over any boundaries...
Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM

its illegal like pushing bush and other things that are commonly done all the time. kinda dumb and makes no sense.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMiss View Post
Last rookie question for now... As I think I have mentioned once or twice somewhere in the threads, this is the first time I have ever held my own tags... I have played spotter for many hunts but never actually hunted.

I have the regs open on my computer as we speak and I am just trying to clarify them...

Here is the senario:

You go hunting with some friends. You set up camp. Each of you does your own hunting. You fill your tag and hang it at camp.

Do you need to physically be at the camp the whole time the animal is hanging? If you still have other tags to fill and your buddy has filled his only tag and is staying in camp, can you go out and try to fill your other tags and leave your animal at the camp with your buddy? Another senario for the same question, if you get an emergency call can you leave your tagged animal with your buddy and respond to the call? Do you have to try to bring your tagged animal with you?

Last question:

Can your buddy transport your tagged animal to town for you if you are not physically in the vehicle? i.e. You follow his truck in your SUV...

I have never been in any of hese situation but i have a habbit of thinking "what if?" I just really don't want to inadvertently step over any boundaries...

you dont need to be around the animal while its hanging. just keep it safe from bugs and bears .....other camps and your buddy can transfer your game home for whatever reason you want. you just need to sign a declaration or whatever its called. theres one in your reg book you can tear out and fill out.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
its illegal like pushing bush and other things that are commonly done all the time. kinda dumb and makes no sense.

Oh... okay... Well that sucks because I really would have liked to be able to walk with another hunter and have him there with me while I field dress my animal... Especially with the number of predators in the area right now. Nothing like the smell of fresh blood.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:25 PM

There are so many clauses to hunting that are clear as mud... I've never studied the regs this hard before... Never had to...
Old 10-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Thee is no problem hunting with someone else who has license and tags. You each shoot and tag your own. You do not have to babysit dead animals in a camp or anywhere else. If someone is transporting your game for you give them a note with all your info on it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Pushing bush is illegal???? Where?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Pushing bush is illegal???? Where?

you know what i mean.......if everyone has tags then nothing wrong....but if the only person with a tag is the shooter than its not legal....lots of threads about this one bud.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Gone Hunting

I know what you mean now.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Thanks Redfrog!! That helped a lot since that was exactly the scenario I was asking about.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
you know what i mean.......if everyone has tags then nothing wrong....but if the only person with a tag is the shooter than its not legal....lots of threads about this one bud.

Then guides are illegal ????

When did that happen. As a guide I was not permitted to carry a rifle or hunt, but I for sure could participate. Push game, call game, skin game. anything that the hunter wanted me to do except shoot. I couldn't even hunt for myself while guiding.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Gone Hunting

MightyMiss; They are right, once the animal is down and tagged you no longer have to be there. The meat has to be taken care of naturally but it is legal to allow others to do that if you wish.
I would not recommend that since you are responsible for making sure the meat does not get wasted. However, it is not illegal to leave the meat unattended.
They are also correct in that others can transport the animal for you, so long as they have written proof that you approved that.
Just make sure that your animal is properly tagged and that proof of sex and species remains part of the animal until you get it home or to the butcher shop. Whichever is going to cut it up.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Then guides are illegal ????

When did that happen. As a guide I was not permitted to carry a rifle or hunt, but I for sure could participate. Push game, call game, skin game. anything that the hunter wanted me to do except shoot. I couldn't even hunt for myself while guiding.
you also had a GUIDES LICENSE>...........hopefully
Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 PM

Default Simple solution to the pushing bush problem

Carry a .22 and chicken hunt.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
you also had a GUIDES LICENSE>...........hopefully

Of course.

Are you implying that you can accompany a hunter, only if you have a guiding license? Then you would be wrong.

I asked Byron Schram, Fish & Wildlife, Manning office, about that very thing a number of years ago and he stated very clearly that I could accompany a person as an unlicensed guide, but I could only carry a firearm if I had a current license to hunt. He further stated that if I were acting as a paid guide I would have to be licensed, which I was at the time, and as a paid licensed guide I was not permitted to hunt even if I had a current hunting license, so long as I was acting as a guide.

And before anyone jumps to any false assumptions. I was working for an outfitter, and yes that outfitter was licensed.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:51 AM

You can hunt with a buddy. He can have a gun too. I believe what the regs say is that he can't be an active participant in the hunt. As in flanking game, or radio'ing you from another valley and so on. Last year there was quite a brew haha when someone shot a beauty deer, his father flushed out and he shot. I think the tags were switched so he shot the tag his father had and vice versa.

Now 2 guys have 2 tags and 2 deer come out of the bush at the end of a trip, is this really a big deal?

When you can party hunt, have 3 people pushing a piece of bush and you on the edge of a field shooting at whatever runs out greatly increases your chance of shooting something and it may not be some peoples idea of fair chase.

So yea kick your husband out of the truck and make sure he doesn't whine. Then stick together.

(its so funny I guess when you think about it if your with a buddy and he spots a deer and taps you on the shoulder and points it out is that activley participating? haha)

Hope it helps, don't listen too much to people on here, we'll both have to look it up. These things change all the time
Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Default Waybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
If someone is transporting your game for you give them a note with all your info on it.
There's a handy downloadable PDF of a waybill specifically for that purpose on the regs website here. I think someone else pointed out that there's also one on page 70 of the regs.

Happy Hunting!
Stinky
Old 10-30-2010, 11:52 AM

You can go out hunting with anyone.

If you both have a licence for the game in question you can help each other spot, push, whatever.

I don't see how carrying a 22 and hunting chickens would make any difference. If you are caught helping your partner hunt DEER you are still screwed as you aren't licenced for deer. No?

If the other person doesn't have a licence they can still come but can't help you "hunt" as defined in the wildlife act. If you haven't read the act that would be a good place to start. It's not 100% clear but you get a good idea of what is legal and what isn't. There seems to be no prohibition on your partner, licenced or not, helping you once the shot has been taken (gutting, transporting, etc, with proper notes, etc.)

At least that's how I read it.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I having a bit of trouble finding anything in the regs that prohibits a person from assisting in a hunt if that person is not a licensed hunter.

Would someone kindly point out where in the regs it says that.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:10 PM

you need to do some interpretation. The reg book states (edit: I can't find it, maybe I read this in the actual act) clearly what is defined as hunting: like looking for, pursuing, chasing, etc etc (look it up). Hunting is more than shooting. So anybody without a license e.g. pushing bush with the intent of enabling you to shoot could be considered looking for, pursuing, chasing, etc etc, and if he does so without a license, he'd risk getting charged.

Last edited by Frans; 10-30-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I having a bit of trouble finding anything in the regs that prohibits a person from assisting in a hunt if that person is not a licensed hunter.

Would someone kindly point out where in the regs it says that.
The Wildlife Act says:

Hunting without licence

(1) Subject to subsection (3), a person shall not hunt wildlife unless the person holds a licence authorizing the person, or is authorized by or under a licence, to hunt wildlife of that kind.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to hunting that is specifically authorized by or under the Agricultural Pests Act and, to the extent that subsection (1) applies
(a) with respect to guiding, it applies only to guiding for gain or reward, and
(b) with respect to non‑licence wildlife, it applies only to trapping.

Now the Act earlier defines "hunting" as:

“hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

Now the Act does qualify the above by saying:

A person shall not be regarded as having hunted a subject animal
(a) for the purposes of subsection (1)(o)(ii), if
(i) the person was not carrying a weapon, and
(ii) the purpose of the person’s activity was restricted to watching, photographing, drawing or painting a picture of the animal,

So if you are helping to hunt with no licence you re breaking the law. If you are just along to watch fine, but you can't do the things listed in the hunting definition. That's my reading of things anyway.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
you need to do some interpretation. The reg book states (edit: I can't find it, maybe I read this in the actual act) clearly what is defined as hunting: like looking for, pursuing, chasing, etc etc (look it up). Hunting is more than shooting. So anybody without a license e.g. pushing bush with the intent of enabling you to shoot could be considered looking for, pursuing, chasing, etc etc, and if he does so without a license, he'd risk getting charged.
Very good.

So what you are saying is, even though it is NOT in the regs. ; " when I'm out with my camera, I could be charged with hunting without a license," Because I am in fact HUNTING in that situation.

Very interesting. I'll have to watch out for that.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Okotokian;

I don't know where you found your wildlife act.

Here is a direct copy of what the Alberta Government wildlife act has to say.

This can be found at; http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779750627

Province o f Alberta
Office Consolidation
Revised Statutes of Alberta 2000
Chapter W-10
Current as of January 1, 2010

Hunting without licence
24(1) Subject to subsection (3), a person shall not hunt wildlife
unless the person holds a licence authorizing the person, or is
authorized by or under a licence, to hunt wildlife of that kind.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to hunting that is specifically
authorized by or under the Agricultural Pests Act and, to the extent
that subsection (1) applies
(a) with respect to guiding, it applies only to guiding for gain
or reward, and
(b) with respect to non-licence wildlife, it applies only to
trapping.
(3) A person shall not for gain or reward guide another person
hunting wildlife unless he or she holds a licence specifically
authorizing that guiding.
RSA 2000 cW-10 s24;2003 c49 s7

I could find nothing in the SRD copy of the Act that looks anything like what you posted.
Do you have a link to your information?
Maybe there is more then one wildlife act and if so, it is no wonder that folks are confused about this issue.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Never mind. I believe I have figured it out.

Now I see why so many people don't understand this restriction.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Gone Hunting

So, correct me of I'm wrong, a person can assist in the hunt, only after the kill is made. Or possibly by spotting. And they may not drive of flush game for a licensed hunter.

However, the can accompany a licensed hunter so long as the do NOT actively participate in the killing of the animal, or bird.

That sound right? And if not, what am I missing in the Act.

LOL Like I said, my mom told me I should have stayed in school.