Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Default Hooked on Honkers

Have been trying to get out with a buddy to do some goose hunting and we got out this morning. Managed 4 ducks (could have had more but wanted the geese) and 1 goose. It was a lone scout we figured.

The issue is that they pass close by and dont come in.

The wind didnt cooperate this morning and was dead calm.

Anyone else finding that the geese are getting weary and tired of being poked at?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM

these locals have been hammered pretty good, time to start changing your set up from the conventional set ups to build confidence in your spread. Migrants are hanging up north and haven't come in, so till then you have to outsmart. Nailed our limits last night. Uglier the weather the more I prefer bird hunting LOL

things to consider is where your blinds are, moving from conventional J or U set ups, ensuring you are on the X not just in the field. you cant overload your blind, thin it out on the sides so it doesn't look like a glob. lots of different ways to skin a cat lol
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 AM

I love pre-migration bird hunting!!
It's like hunting super birds with extra brain power!

Calling in smart ducks is fun!

If only I could figure out the stupid goose call... They apparently don't like the sound of a dying cat...

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...
Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM

I know lots of guys like a j or a u and we've used them a fair bit too. But if you watch them feeding in The field a lot of times they are on the high clearance sprayer tracks eating the trampled and un harvested . What I've been doing with some success is to line up a majority of the decoys up and down these tracks with a few randomly scattered here or there. Lay down blinds either between the tracks or often better is off to the side . Of course set up for proper wind deflection. When your scouting the field take note of how the birds look and where they are landing.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
these locals have been hammered pretty good, time to start changing your set up from the conventional set ups to build confidence in your spread. Migrants are hanging up north and haven't come in, so till then you have to outsmart. Nailed our limits last night. Uglier the weather the more I prefer bird hunting LOL

things to consider is where your blinds are, moving from conventional J or U set ups, ensuring you are on the X not just in the field. you cant overload your blind, thin it out on the sides so it doesn't look like a glob. lots of different ways to skin a cat lol
X2 I can see this weekend being fun out this way we been pounding on the same birds since sept 1st its time to make some changes in the spread and see if I can talk them in for one more game of duck duck goose