Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 03:09 AM
Banned

Default Marty - It’s The Moon

The other day I caught a melanistic coyote, which is very unusual in itself, but a Trapper in Leduc County caught one on the same exact day as mine. What are the odds of that happening?

Here’s the spooky part. On January 16, the day that both melanstic coyotes were caught, there was a new moon!

BAM! Ya see, darker coloured coyotes like it dark so they can sneak around undetected like little coyote ninjas and don’t like a bright moon. Pale coyotes like the ones that you have down there, like the full moon because their shadow isn’t as dark as our darker coyotes up here. Plus, they don’t see well so they need a bright moon just to get around......Kind of the Mr Magoo of coyotes. This would explain why they don’t see a bare snare on a trail that’s not even camouflaged.

There ya have it. Dark coyote = dark moon. Pale coyotes = bright moon. It’s a proof of a proof.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM

Makes perfect sense to me Dave... oh and don't be fooled, Marty is the only one down here who doesn't feel the effect of the full moon... the rest of us have just as much trouble catching them when the moon is bright as you do.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 PM
AO Sponsor

You could be onto something there Dave. So if I want a black one I have to work the new moon... so please tell me how to stop catching all these stupid red ones???

They's sure been bitin' tho lately, but with the warm weather the tap is turned right off, new moon or full. Did have my third best personal record day of my life the other day!!! Funny eh? 2nd and 3rd best days of my career 2.5 weeks apart.

Gonna have to throw them a new angle this week to get thru the warm weather blues in case it sticks around for a spell.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:09 AM
Banned

Orange ones are no good. On January 31 there's a Full Moon, a Snow Moon AND a Blue Moon. Wait until then and you'll catch lots of pale coyotes.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Orange ones are no good. On January 31 there's a Full Moon, a Snow Moon AND a Blue Moon. Wait until then and you'll catch lots of pale coyotes.
Heads up Dave , Marty catches pale dogs everyday ..lol..

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk