Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
The faster everyone stops sensationalizing this the faster the family’s can have peace. Leave it alone and let it go away
I 100% believe thats the quickest way to really screw this up.
I spoke with one of the survivors of the Broncos accident. He said that was one of the big problems. He said no one wanted to talk about it. You cant burry this stuff. If you do, it just ends up as a grinding mess of black crap inside you.

Its not just this, talking about the things that effect us is always good for the soul. Sucking it up and dealing with crap is not effective. We as a society need to understand that talking is ok. Discussing is ok. Opening up is ok. Acknowledging that something hurts us or bugs us is alright.
Tough in my books is the ability to talk about things.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I spoke with one of the survivors of the Broncos accident. He said that was one of the big problems. He said no one wanted to talk about it. You cant burry this stuff. If you do, it just ends up as a grinding mess of black crap inside you.

Its not just this, talking about the things that effect us is always good for the soul. Sucking it up and dealing with crap is not effective. We as a society need to understand that talking is ok. Discussing is ok. Opening up is ok. Acknowledging that something hurts us or bugs us is alright.
Great post ,thank you.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 PM

Well said Jamie, seems that's how people deal with things these day's, when it's a tough uncomfortable topic they all want it to just go away and pretend it never happened.
Then after stewing on it for ever they are so rattled it takes a long time to try and fix. Talk about things man, with all we know these days with mental illness everyone still gets freaked out and hides.
I tell you, if you have a loved one with it you change your tune.

Anyways sorry for that rant haha
Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 PM

I lack the capacity to feel ANY sympathy for a man who took SIXTEEN lives and irreversibly altered the lives of THIRTEEN others. The Son of a B$tch can rot the rest his days away in a cell as far as I'm concerned, and hopefully his scumbag boss joins him.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
I lack the capacity to feel ANY sympathy for a man who took SIXTEEN lives and irreversibly altered the lives of THIRTEEN others. The Son of a B$tch can rot the rest his days away in a cell as far as I'm concerned, and hopefully his scumbag boss joins him.

Agreed!!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:27 PM

Surprised you don't hear more about the owner of the company or what or if he will get anything. Jack ***** tried to open another company while shutdown for investigation so shows how much remorse he has towards the situation.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 AM

The sentence has to take into account the damage that his actions caused as well as send a message to the trucking industry as a whole. While I understand that he probably feels really bad, he killed 16 young people, ruined the lives of many others forever, and destroyed families.

Commercial Drivers have the ability to cause so much more destruction on the roads than someone driving a passenger vehicle. Drivers who are on the roads today, as well as any future drivers need to know that if they fall asleep at the wheel, if they neglect safety in order to make better time, if they drive unsafe equipment, if they are incompetent, etc. that there will be a lot more on the line than a heavy conscience.

In my opinion, he should receive at least 25 years.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:03 AM

There is a huge difference between doing a rolling stop at a stop sign, something I think we are all guilty of from time to time, and blowing right through one. This guy was driving a 60T bullet right at that moment. I'm sorry but if he blew through that stop sign and did not even look to see if there was any traffic coming he did not care one little bit about what may or may not be coming. Criminal negligence causing death would be my thoughts. I think he deserves to spend a considerable period of time contemplating the error of his ways and then if he ever does get out he can spend the rest of his life walking.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

This was extremely a bad day almost a year ago, horrible, wish they would just sentence and move on, he admits 100 percent guilty for his actions, the trucking company is guilty of other offences, wish this was just sentenced and continue to grieve but this surfaces more emotions not beneficial to the grieving process.

My perspective.

Simply horrible accident.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2019, 05:41 AM
Banned

Default sentencing

3 or 4 years ago, and right around Christmas, a drunken driver ran a stop sign just north of Saskatoon killing a family of 4, including two young children. That woman was sentenced to 6 years in jail.

Evidence was given that this young man was neither drinking or toking; rather, he was an under-trained incompetent driver that will not be getting the 354 years that some require to satisfy their bloodlust.

Many of the families spoke kind words to Mr. Sidhu at the sentencing hearing and only one is reported to carry hard feeling today. I am certainly glad that I don't have to carry these thoughts around with me every day and my heart goes out to all the families that will.

Free
Old 01-29-2019, 05:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

But you talk to those who will listen, not just nod thier head and its when you want to talk not when forced to or scheduled to.

A special someone goes a long way, hope those grieving find that someone.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2019, 07:09 AM

One of the news stations ran a piece last night and made a comparison (for sentencing speculation purpose only) of a case in Sask where a distracted/disinterested driver ran into the back of a small vehicle stopped for another incident killing three teens. He was given three years.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:16 AM

Just over 2 years per person seems to be the going rate in sask. However since theres so many I would bet he gets 12 to 16.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
3 or 4 years ago, and right around Christmas, a drunken driver ran a stop sign just north of Saskatoon killing a family of 4, including two young children. That woman was sentenced to 6 years in jail.

Evidence was given that this young man was neither drinking or toking; rather, he was an under-trained incompetent driver that will not be getting the 354 years that some require to satisfy their bloodlust.

Many of the families spoke kind words to Mr. Sidhu at the sentencing hearing and only one is reported to carry hard feeling today. I am certainly glad that I don't have to carry these thoughts around with me every day and my heart goes out to all the families that will.

Free
Actually she got 10 years minus time served, but ended up in a healing lodge very soon after and that's what people were upset with.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 AM

I am hoping that the courts deal more harshly with the company for their violations, as that is what might actually help to prevent future incidents.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post

Free

Yeah takes a lot of training to learn what a "stop" sign is and what "stop sign ahead" signs are
Old 01-29-2019, 08:07 AM

I've been reluctant to provide an opinion but this tragedy has affected so many lives, so many people and communities in the world.
That highway intersection needs to be torn down and changed, I'm not an engineer but surely it DEMANDS HUGE SAFETY changes. If anything, changes that would remove its current appearance and shows extreme safety efforts.
That Calgary trucking company needs to face major criminal charges since it was their truck, their load, their driver, their responsibility, their mistake.
That truck driver made a catastrophic mistake which should entail a minimum 25 years or more prison sentence. Anything less would be insulting !
His guilty plea doesn't soften the lifetime of pain that is being felt by the surviving family members and injured persons.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
It is a tragic accident. The driver will pay for the rest of his life.
The trucking industry is going through many changes for the better because of this accident. I believe the changes to the industry will end up saving more lives down the road than it took in this tragedy.
I think he he will get a three year term and will be out in 1 year and will do 2000 hours community service where he will be doing something safety related within the trucking industry.
In addition to this there is a strong movement to make busses safer for the passengers by adding seat belts. I find it hard to comprehend that our school busses don't have seat restraints, and protection for the passengers already.

BW
Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
I've been reluctant to provide an opinion but this tragedy has affected so many lives, so many people and communities in the world.
That highway intersection needs to be torn down and changed, I'm not an engineer but surely it DEMANDS HUGE SAFETY changes. If anything, changes that would remove its current appearance and shows extreme safety efforts.
That Calgary trucking company needs to face major criminal charges since it was their truck, their load, their driver, their responsibility, their mistake.
That truck driver made a catastrophic mistake which should entail a minimum 25 years or more prison sentence. Anything less would be insulting !
His guilty plea doesn't soften the lifetime of pain that is being felt by the surviving family members and injured persons.
It has been posted that the driver passed four signs warning that he was approaching the intersection, any driver paying even the slightest attention should have been aware that he was approaching the intersection. You can try to idiot proof thongs but there will always be a better idiot. I agree with your other points.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
In addition to this there is a strong movement to make busses safer for the passengers by adding seat belts. I find it hard to comprehend that our school busses don't have seat restraints, and protection for the passengers already.

BW
Here is my questions to that. Who is going to monitor that 40 kids on a school bus have their seat belt on? I wouldn’t want to be the bus driver that gets involved in an accident that isn’t their fault and gets sued because some kid took their seat belt off or never had it on in the first place or has it put on incorrectly. Same thing with passenger buses. I get the safety aspect but it can shoot you in the foot as well. This accident was a result of a poor decision made by a truck driver that drove for a company that didn’t make sure he was competent enough for the job.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
One point that I am unsure on is the responsibility of the Company. If they followed all the rules and their load was secured and truck was was road worthy why should they face criminal charges? If everything was done properly on their part and their driver was current in all licensing etc and did not stop where was their negligence? When the truck is inspected at the scales it is the drivers responsibility for pretty much everything, same as the pilot of an airplane. The company cannot be responsible for the driver not touching the brake pedal. I may be missing something but where did the trucking company break the law and open themselves up to criminal charges?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
It's hard to conceive that he didn't apply his breaks,it all sounds a bit like murder to me.
I'm pretty sure he didn't intentionally kill people. His truck was halfway through the intersection. It's unfortunate that this happened.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
One point that I am unsure on is the responsibility of the Company. If they followed all the rules and their load was secured and truck was was road worthy why should they face criminal charges? If everything was done properly on their part and their driver was current in all licensing etc and did not stop where was their negligence? When the truck is inspected at the scales it is the drivers responsibility for pretty much everything, same as the pilot of an airplane. The company cannot be responsible for the driver not touching the brake pedal. I may be missing something but where did the trucking company break the law and open themselves up to criminal charges?
No kidding. I fail to see how not engaging the most basic of safety devices (brake pedal) is the company’s fault...
Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 AM

The charges against the company are regarding failure to keep drivers logs of hours of service, failing to keep a written safety plan, etc.

These will result in fines, likely more on the severe side of the fine scale.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
No kidding. I fail to see how not engaging the most basic of safety devices (brake pedal) is the company’s fault...
Unless the driver was putting in excess hours without breaks, and using multiple log books, and the company was aware of this, or even encouraged it. Fatigue could have been a factor in running the stop sign.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

I've got mixed emotions on this. I look at that guy in Edmonton that ran into the patio and killed that little boy. My impression is that he wasn't remorseful at all and the only lesson he learned is that with the right lawyer and the right amount of money you'll be walking free.

I also think that anyone of us or perhaps our kids could be guilty of driving with our heads up our asses and at any time cause a accident of this magnitude.

The driver is guilty. There is no question. He does seem remorseful to me. Should he spend his whole life behind hats? I don't think so.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:56 AM

Hard to understand and personally I don't think there is anything wrong with the intersection. There are thousands just like it. How did he not see the signs? Or could he have purposely run it thinking he would save time and get away with it?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Here is my questions to that. Who is going to monitor that 40 kids on a school bus have their seat belt on? I wouldn’t want to be the bus driver that gets involved in an accident that isn’t their fault and gets sued because some kid took their seat belt off or never had it on in the first place or has it put on incorrectly. Same thing with passenger buses. I get the safety aspect but it can shoot you in the foot as well. This accident was a result of a poor decision made by a truck driver that drove for a company that didn’t make sure he was competent enough for the job.
My post was not intended to lighten the responsibility of the truck driver to stop his truck for a stop sign.

Bus operators and manufactures need to do more to protect their passengers from events that may occur while in transit.

I'm sure that a reasonable way to ensure seat belt compliance for passengers can be worked out.

BW
Old 01-29-2019, 11:12 AM

My son put out every hockey stick we had probably 15 on the deck after it went viral. He puts them away as they fall down 5 still stand today in memory of all the lives that changed that day at the accident and around the world. In events like this should be forgotten or not talked about IMO they change the way people think about others and themselves hopefully all for the better.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

My lines of thought are that it did not happen to “us”, or me. It happened to “them”. We should not be dictating or enabling others to interfere or prolong in their grieving process. I think we should (and the media) respect their right to grieve in their own way. That’s all I’m saying, unless someone has a horse in the race it’s none of their business to have a say in the grief of others
Closed Thread