Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 09:31 AM

Default Spotter Suggestion, budget $3000

If you were looking to upgrade spotters from a vortex viper and you had a $2500-3000 budget, what would you get? Keep in mind, this is mainly for prairie mule deer and Sheep hunting. Looking for a higher end type thing and not a mid/lower range, buy once cry once.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 AM

Swaro is most likely over that a bit but I'd aim for that personally.
For sheep hunting I far prefer the angled eye piece but they don't work very well if you are using it out a truck window looking at mule deer.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Swaro is most likely over that a bit but I'd aim for that personally.
For sheep hunting I far prefer the angled eye piece but they don't work very well if you are using it out a truck window looking at mule deer.
I would really love the NL pure's that swaro has now but that definetley isn't in the budget lol. I do also prefer an angled scope, especially being 6'4"
Old 01-26-2021, 10:13 AM

I bought a used Zeiss from a guy on another forum (CGN), I paid $1500 for it and its great except its heavy. I use it sheep hunting and has saved me from hiking farther than needed to check if a ram is legal. So its worth the extra weight. To replace it new would be over $3000.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:33 AM

With that much budget I would look for Leica, Swaro, or Kowa. If you do a little reading you will find Kowa is an excellent scope, not well known, and on par with the other two, some rate it number 1. I list Leica as number 1 because their glass suits my eyes better than Swaro. If you can find any of the three of them used, you can easily save 40% off new. If you want to use them on a window mount then a straight is the only real option, if it is always off a tripod the angled is more comfortable. If you need to pack them into places, pay attention to weight, there is a big difference in all three makers, even within a single maker, among their various models.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
With that much budget I would look for Leica, Swaro, or Kowa. If you do a little reading you will find Kowa is an excellent scope, not well known, and on par with the other two, some rate it number 1. I list Leica as number 1 because their glass suits my eyes better than Swaro. If you can find any of the three of them used, you can easily save 40% off new. If you want to use them on a window mount then a straight is the only real option, if it is always off a tripod the angled is more comfortable. If you need to pack them into places, pay attention to weight, there is a big difference in all three makers, even within a single maker, among their various models.
Is there a kowa model specifically? I have heard they are ok. I have also heard maven is ok.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 AM

Default used Swarovski!

or new Meopta...probably the most underrated optic on the Market.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:56 AM

Agree with the Meopta comment. They get a lot of love on the USA forums, not well known up here but very good glass.

Paul at Bushcraft Canada carries this brand, he would be the guy to contact for info. Very good fella to converse with!!
Old 01-26-2021, 11:09 AM

Vortex razors... cant beat that type of warranty! Thats a lot of $$$ to risk braking it, losing it, etc... vortex has your back no matter what! And the quality is great... my 2 cents

Enviado desde mi SM-G973F mediante Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Is there a kowa model specifically? I have heard they are ok. I have also heard maven is ok.
If weight is an issue then look at the 500 series weighs just over a pound. If it is about pure performance the 880 flouride glass model. Even the big scope is fairly light weight due to the magnesium bodies. Seems to me it was about 4 lbs.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-26-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog0 View Post
Vortex razors... cant beat that type of warranty! Thats a lot of $$$ to risk braking it, losing it, etc... vortex has your back no matter what! And the quality is great... my 2 cents

I won't use Vortex rfile scopes because they break far too often, but a spotter is one place the no fault warranty might be real useful. I have had to have a few spotters repaired due to user induced failures and those aren't covered, though Leica did fix the last one for free. Would be worth comparing Vortex's top end glass to Kowa, Swaro and see how it looks.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:14 PM
Banned

Bob from McBain Camera here...I've sent you a PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:18 PM

Bob is a great guy to deal with. Knows a ton about glass and cameras. Also has done some great deals for a ton of AO members. First rate guy to buy from and get quality advice.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Banned

Geez Dean, now I'm blushing
Old 01-26-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I won't use Vortex rfile scopes because they break far too often, but a spotter is one place the no fault warranty might be real useful. I have had to have a few spotters repaired due to user induced failures and those aren't covered, though Leica did fix the last one for free. Would be worth comparing Vortex's top end glass to Kowa, Swaro and see how it looks.
With all due respect, makes no sense anything you just said... but you are entitled to buy whatever you want...

Old 01-26-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, makes no sense anything you just said... but you are entitled to buy whatever you want...

If my rifle scope craps out on a hunt I have a real problem and I have had more than one Vortex lose its ability to hold zero. If the spotting scope craps out, it isn't the only one we have with us, not to mention binoculars we always have along. On top of that, spotting scope isn't getting recoil pounded. Not sure what doesn't make sense about that but you are free to think what you like.

P.S. By the way, saying with all due respect and then telling someone they make no sense, doesn't really make it respectful. I am fine with you thinking I am full of it, just leave out the condescending faux politeness in future.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
If my rifle scope craps out on a hunt I have a real problem and I have had more than one Vortex lose its ability to hold zero. If the spotting scope craps out, it isn't the only one we have with us, not to mention binoculars we always have along. On top of that, spotting scope isn't getting recoil pounded. Not sure what doesn't make sense about that but you are free to think what you like.

P.S. By the way, saying with all due respect and then telling someone they make no sense, doesn't really make it respectful. I am fine with you thinking I am full of it, just leave out the condescending faux politeness in future.
Im just saying that there is no sense in what you say. Not being rude at all, it just doesnt make sense. "Nothing" craps out just like that out of the blue. I've had vortex for over 10 years and havent had one issue. They've gotten wet, muddy, duaty, i have taken them on quads, mountains, etc... still like new. If i say all due respect is so that you dont take it personal. But lets just stop arguing and hopefully they guy gets his question, answered! Cheers!

Old 01-26-2021, 02:38 PM

Jdogo, if you spend enough time reading peoples' experiences with various optics companies, you may come to realize that for some companies a no-fault, lifetime warranty is a selling feature not based on the excellence and longevity of their products, but rather is a smart, and admittedly successful marketing plan.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:13 PM

Why does it always seem to be the vortex guy?
Old 01-26-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
Why does it always seem to be the vortex guy?

Now that you mention it, that definitely is a pattern I had not picked up on. They seem extraordinarily touchy and defensive of their choice in rifle scopes. I guess us Sharks should just swim away.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Im just saying that there is no sense in what you say. Not being rude at all, it just doesnt make sense. "Nothing" craps out just like that out of the blue. I've had vortex for over 10 years and havent had one issue. They've gotten wet, muddy, duaty, i have taken them on quads, mountains, etc... still like new. If i say all due respect is so that you dont take it personal. But lets just stop arguing and hopefully they guy gets his question, answered! Cheers!

As someone who has sold hundreds of sport optics over the years, from $100 Bushnell’s to $4000 Swarovski’s and Leica’s I can most definitely say that some crap out ‘just because’.
Why do you think many warranties state they cover defects due to manufacturers defects...not user issues, but defects.
And yes, you do come off being rude, and a little ‘ holier than thou’.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Bob is a great guy to deal with. Knows a ton about glass and cameras. Also has done some great deals for a ton of AO members. First rate guy to buy from and get quality advice.
Agreed. Last year I wanted to send my binos into swaro for some maintenance (both objective lenses were changed due to scratches from barb wire, rocks, ect..).
I posted on here looking for contact info/address for swaro and Bob sent me a PM almost immediately. He had me drop them off in Red Deer at McBains and he had them delivered to him up in Edmonton. A month later my binos were back in Red Deer pretty much brand new. Bob took care of all shipping and contact with Swaro.
Superb service by Bob (and swaro as well)

Got my 15 year old EL's (that's 15 years of abuse) back looking and performing like brand new and they charged me $150ish for the new lenses. Everything else they did was free of charge. Doesn't get any better than that
Old 01-26-2021, 04:30 PM

I compared Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica, and then I bought a Kowa 883. With an 88mm lens, it is on the larger size, but I preferred the optics better than any other scope that I looked through.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:24 PM

That’s plenty of budget to get you a good used spotter from any of the big three (or kowa). I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any of them. Maven may be worth a look as well, I’ve not tried their spotting scope, but have spent some time behind the binos and I was impressed at the quality for the price.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:28 PM

I always thought it would be nice if a bunch of us got together and set up our spotters. To be able to walk around and compare each one in person.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:29 PM

And for what it's worth I do like my vortex razor, but if I had that budget I would have bought a different one.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I can second that, set me up with some great binos that I am more then pleased with, at a cost that was even more pleasing. Wish there were more business people like that. I know who I’m calling when it’s time for a spotting scope.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Now that you mention it, that definitely is a pattern I had not picked up on. They seem extraordinarily touchy and defensive of their choice in rifle scopes. I guess us Sharks should just swim away.
You big bully
Old 01-26-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Agreed. Last year I wanted to send my binos into swaro for some maintenance (both objective lenses were changed due to scratches from barb wire, rocks, ect..).
I posted on here looking for contact info/address for swaro and Bob sent me a PM almost immediately. He had me drop them off in Red Deer at McBains and he had them delivered to him up in Edmonton. A month later my binos were back in Red Deer pretty much brand new. Bob took care of all shipping and contact with Swaro.
Superb service by Bob (and swaro as well)

Got my 15 year old EL's (that's 15 years of abuse) back looking and performing like brand new and they charged me $150ish for the new lenses. Everything else they did was free of charge. Doesn't get any better than that
Sounds like Bob went to the same customer service school as Clayton Smiley.

Bob is a beauty. Full stop.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I always thought it would be nice if a bunch of us got together and set up our spotters. To be able to walk around and compare each one in person.
Scopes too. Any opportunity to get together is a good one. Every single dude I have met from AO is a right on guy.