Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 09:33 PM

Default Nosler Etip experience?

Hi guys,
I have 4 boxes of 150gr Nosler Etip’s, and considering loading them for my 7mm08, and .280 AI. Heard mixed reviews- does anyone have personal experience with these bullets? Wondering if they’re just as good as Barnes?
Thanks
Mike
Old 04-10-2021, 11:25 PM

They penciled through a moose at 200 yards (3 rounds)...very disappointed.

180 gr e-tip from a 30 Nosler...will not use them again
Old 04-11-2021, 07:35 AM

I tested them on paper, but never used them to hunt, as they produced more pressure than the TTSX, with more fouling, and the accuracy wasn't as good.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:53 AM

I have used the 140 grain 7mm etip in my 7mm-08. Accuracy was amazing. Velocity was very good although I did have to drop the powder change a little to maintain safe pressure.

However my experience on game was mixed. A couple bang flops on deer, but also a few that just baffled me what happened and resulted in tracking jobs. Obviously shot placement wasn't always perfect. bullets never stayed in the animal so can't tell what happened but my conclusion was they just were not expanding enough.

Went to Barnes TSX and haven't noticed any further issues. I think they expand better at these speeds.

I would thinking shooting higher Velocity cartridges they would be very good, but moderate ones like 7mm-08 wasn't fast enough for hunting.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I have used the 140 grain 7mm etip in my 7mm-08. Accuracy was amazing. Velocity was very good although I did have to drop the powder change a little to maintain safe pressure.

However my experience on game was mixed. A couple bang flops on deer, but also a few that just baffled me what happened and resulted in tracking jobs. Obviously shot placement wasn't always perfect. bullets never stayed in the animal so can't tell what happened but my conclusion was they just were not expanding enough.

Went to Barnes TSX and haven't noticed any further issues. I think they expand better at these speeds.

I would thinking shooting higher Velocity cartridges they would be very good, but moderate ones like 7mm-08 wasn't fast enough for hunting.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
That’s all good info- thank you. May switch to Barnes and save myself the headaches......
Old 04-11-2021, 02:05 PM

I tried them several years ago and in the caliber I tried it was the most accurate bullet I tried. I have not hunted with them
Old 04-12-2021, 02:48 PM

Ok thanks for all the info
Mike

Tags
barnes, mono, nosler