Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2021, 09:42 PM

Default Dental Work for your Dog

Just had the dog in for his annual checkup and shots. He broke his rear molar.

The quote was pretty hefty. X-rays, cleaning and rear tooth removal etc.

$1,300.00. Is this typical? Is there some other good vet's that would be a little easier on the pocket book.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2021, 05:45 AM

How old is the dog? Pull it.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:42 AM

Seems to be a thing now with vets that they want to tell you how bad your dogs teeth are and how much work they need, cleaning etc. Dogs are descendants from wolves and I am confident the wolf pack doesn't have a dental plan and their teeth have never been cleaned. Dogs live max 10 to 12 years which really is not enough time for real dental problems to develop IMO. Not like they are sitting around eating Mars bars and swilling Cokes.
Our dog has 2 missing lower front teeth and a chipped canine. Vet quoted over $4000. We declined and the dog is still happily chewing on buffalo bones she drags up from the river.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:01 AM

It's all about perspective.

I know I've pi$$ed away more than that on stupid stuff I really didn't need. Our dog recently had breath like a dragon, and nothing we did helped. Finally conceded she needed a dental and the vet found a pocket of crap lodged behind a back molar, something I could never have found. If left alone, it probably would have ended up in a bad tooth and gum disease. Yes, it was expensive, but I'm satisfied that it was the right thing to do. We love her.

We trust our vet to point us in the right direction - if you trust yours, listen to him/her and do what's best for your companion.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:22 AM

Dental work is expensive but the right thing to do
Smaller dogs have the same number of teeth crammed into there mouth as larger dogs, I have paid many a dog dental bills but they are part of the family and bring tremendous joy to our families
Old 04-09-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
Just had the dog in for his annual checkup and shots. He broke his rear molar.

The quote was pretty hefty. X-rays, cleaning and rear tooth removal etc.

$1,300.00. Is this typical? Is there some other good vet's that would be a little easier on the pocket book.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Thats really close to what I paid for the same work last year and was cheaper than the ones I had done like 10 years ago from another vet.It never hurts to call around usually the ones out of the city are cheaper and ones that are mixed practice
Old 04-09-2021, 09:47 AM
AO Sponsor

Yes it is kind of the norm... Dogs do have to be anestizid to do dental work so it is always more than what you would assume. I am fortunate that my daughter works in a vet clinic and the owners extend to our family the employee discounts so we get services near cost and it can save a hefty chunk but even then it is not inexpensive work in terms of veterinary services.

Similar to experiences above, our two little dogs had horrendous bad breath issues and we started to notice while eating one guy also seemed to have discomfort. Once we had their teeth all done properly the breath issue was gone immediately (rotten tooth removals) and no more discomfort eating at all and they both seemed much happier for it so no regrets.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-09-2021, 01:39 PM

This was a few years ago and I think ownership has changed but Taber vet clinic yanked a cracked molar out of my dog and Gave her the shots she needed that year for just about the same amount as they wanted to charge me just for the shots in med hat, I wanna say it was around 400, there is a chance I'm wrong and it was more like 600 for both and the 400 was just the tooth but either way it sure wasn't a grand or more that much I know for sure

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2021, 02:15 PM

Default Tooth

We paid $1000 a couple years ago.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:22 PM

We have a Pomeranian and it shows you all are just rookies at $$$ on dental.

Mike drop.......

Dodger.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:33 PM

We face things like this all the time, dental, bone brakes, allergy old age things, great to have insurance on all our dogs, from day one, on all 3 dogs
Old 04-09-2021, 05:37 PM

I understand completely that there are going to be expenses for pets. This isn’t my first pet.

I was just curious if this was on par with other vets as it seems pretty expensive. If this is the industry standard then it is what it is. It isn’t not that I can’t afford it.

Thanks for the input this far.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:07 PM

Alberta Veterinary Dentistry

visited here two years in a row for Sam
$3000.00 plus both times

would not change a thing

Sam passed March 2019

RIP
Old 04-09-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
We have a Pomeranian and it shows you all are just rookies at $$$ on dental.

Mike drop.......

Dodger.
Yep you win hands down .I will say I have been super lucky out of 6 dogs only 2 have need dental work ,but my youngest is coming up on 8 and he spent 2 years trying to eat every rock that he came across
Old 04-10-2021, 06:10 AM

Contact Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic. They may be cheaper than your previous quote. 780-352-7006. All our animals go there
Old 04-10-2021, 04:45 PM

My mom gets her dog's teeth cleaned in the US. She's says it's something like $250 US vs. $1300 CAD for the same thing. She goes to a Vet in Bonner's Ferry. Your dogs need to have proof of a rabies vaccine to cross the border.

Of course with CoVid and all you may have to wait.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:50 PM

You can always shop around. Get references. We saved about $500 when our Jack Russell had to have his teeth done. Got a recommendation from a friend and checked out the vet. Great references, so we were happy to have him work on out dog.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
You can always shop around. Get references. We saved about $500 when our Jack Russell had to have his teeth done. Got a recommendation from a friend and checked out the vet. Great references, so we were happy to have him work on out dog.

^^^^

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
Seems to be a thing now with vets that they want to tell you how bad your dogs teeth are and how much work they need, cleaning etc. Dogs are descendants from wolves and I am confident the wolf pack doesn't have a dental plan and their teeth have never been cleaned. Dogs live max 10 to 12 years which really is not enough time for real dental problems to develop IMO. Not like they are sitting around eating Mars bars and swilling Cokes.
Our dog has 2 missing lower front teeth and a chipped canine. Vet quoted over $4000. We declined and the dog is still happily chewing on buffalo bones she drags up from the river.
This is good in theory but really not accurate. Most modern dogs are about as far from a wolf as you can get and still be a canide. Their diets are VERY different and let's face it, far too many pet owners (and their kids) feed their dogs things they shouldn't.

All this adds up to dental issues.

Also, it's silly to think wolves don't have dental issues. You're not a wolf dentist are you? Did you consult anybody who studies wolves to see if they know?

It's silly to think wild canide's don't have dental issues.

Your dog may be "happily" chewing on bones but that doesn't mean he/she isn't hurting when they're doing so. One of an animals insticts is to hide when they're hurting because showing weakness (in the wild) means painting a big "Eat me I'm vulnerable" sign on their sides. For their sake, I hope your pet isn't hurting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
It's all about perspective.

I know I've pi$$ed away more than that on stupid stuff I really didn't need. Our dog recently had breath like a dragon, and nothing we did helped. Finally conceded she needed a dental and the vet found a pocket of crap lodged behind a back molar, something I could never have found. If left alone, it probably would have ended up in a bad tooth and gum disease. Yes, it was expensive, but I'm satisfied that it was the right thing to do. We love her.

We trust our vet to point us in the right direction - if you trust yours, listen to him/her and do what's best for your companion.
That's what money is for isn't it!?!? LOL

I've had 3 dogs that had flat faces (and have a 4th one now). A pug, a frenchie and another heinze 57. All had teeth pulled later in their lives. My first pug (we have another pug now) had to have teeth pulled 3 times in his 10 years of life. The problem is, with smooshed in faces like they have, they are prone to teeth problems. It ended up with my first pug having the worlds worth breath and his teeth/gums caused him to develope some nasties on his cheeks (inside his mouth). Eventually cleanings wouldn't keep the "aliens" in his mouth (that's what my wife called them) at bay and he had terrible breath the last year or so of his life. It's worth noting I never brushed their teeth and now wish I had.

So when we got this new pug 2.5 yr's ago, I stated brushing her teeth from day 1..........something I didn't do with my other dogs. I've checked her teeth and considering how smooshed her face is, they're all nice and straight and look good so I'm hoping to avoid teeth issues by doing so and save some $$$.

In the small town I live in, our vet charged me $400 - $600 to clean my dogs teeth. With teeth pulled, usually around $600 - $800 depending on the number of teeth being pulled.

So yes, definitely check around. Keep in mind, clinics in the city typically have higher overhead than in a small town so check the small communities around you.

We've been living here 16 years and have had dogs all that time. We know our vet very well and she knows us. I know how much she loves animals and have absolute faith she would never lie to us about care our animals need just to line her pocket. She once delivered a dog who had to spend the night in her care (he has pancreatitis) on a Sunday to my wife while I was off hunting out west at no charge!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***

Last edited by CptnBlues63; 04-12-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:43 PM

We just had the wifes airedale in for teeth cleaning due to a bad tarter build up. They found two infected rear teeth that had to be pulled. Bill was $1,250.00