Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2021, 07:18 PM

Default Reading Ukrainian

Can You or anyone you know of read Ukrainian. I have some partial letters from From my great great grand mother to my grand father around the turn of the last century. I would like to get these translated. These are hand written letters.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:19 PM

Thats wonderful for you to have them. A treasure chest
Old 04-08-2021, 08:30 PM

Are you in Edmonton?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:33 PM

Tough to read Ukrainian

Be careful.... I been slapped by a few.. n thought it was a sure thing.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-08-2021, 08:46 PM

Go to the A&W in Vegreville any morning at about 9:00 there are 20 old retired people there drinking coffee and solving problems and I bet over 1/2 of them read and write Ukrainian

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
Are you in Edmonton?
Leduc , close enough
Old 04-08-2021, 11:30 PM

There is a facebook group that has a few people that read ukrainian. Just ask there and someone will read it for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/find...58191685838494
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-09-2021, 07:31 AM

The girlfriend signed me up for Ukranian lessons at St. Andrews church on 75 street and 98 ave last year.

If meeting in person is your thing then I would make the trip there. They'll help you out.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:45 AM

If you scan them someone will likely be able to help.

My wife's grandmother is turning 100 this year but is out in BC! Smart as a whip still.

My wife also knows a lady at work who came to Canada not too long ago - she might be able to help.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:12 AM

I have done some research on my sister-in-law Ukrainian roots and a couple of good areas to have someone translate your letters are
- Edmonton Catholic schools in Edmonton- St Matthew - they teach Ukrainian
or
edmonton genealogical society - I have been there when they have had
people who speak Ukrainian and do research.

The Provincial Archives has records for birth, death, marriage and land records if your ancestor resided in Alberta - if your interested in more research

Good luck
FFF
Old 04-09-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
There is a facebook group that has a few people that read ukrainian. Just ask there and someone will read it for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/find...58191685838494
Thanks Red
I have joined this group I'll se how this works out.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:51 AM

I can translate it for you if still needed, just send me a pm

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm
Old 04-11-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Thanks Red
I have joined this group I'll se how this works out.
The face book group says the writing is in Polish, That is a shock, My Grandfathers family spoke Ukrainian at home and considered themselves Ukrainian. These letters shine a different light on things, Can anyone out there read Polish, I am willing to pay for an interpretation. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:52 AM

Smile A posible explanation

Once upon a time in Canada, Polish immigrants were subject to intense, outright discrimination. It wasn't uncommon for entire families to change their nationality in order to improve their situation.
Don't judge them. We can't understand the choices they had to make or what they went through in order to provide for their families.
Times have mostly changed for the better.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-11-2021, 02:04 PM

It will depend on where your ancestors were living in Europe, who was in charge of the country, and the year the document was created. I recently attended 3 genealogy Zoom sessions on “Eastern European Genealogy” and this scenario was discussed in some length as the borders there changed hands many times.

Below is an excerpt from the handout and discussion.

“First, you should note that nationalities indicated on immigration will not always conform to what you know about your family’s origins. If you are Ukrainian, you should note that if your family members arrived be-fore 1922, they will not be listed as “Ukrainian.” They would be listed as Austrian, Galician, or Ruthenian. If your family members arrived between 1922 and 1939, they may be shown as Ukrainian but coming from Poland [those from Galicia] or the USSR. If your family members arrived post World War II, they would have come from the USSR, Poland, and most recently Ukraine.
If your family is Polish and your family member arrived before 1918, they will be shown as Polish but not from Poland. If your family members arrived between 1922 and 1939, many but not all Poles would be listed as coming from Poland. If your family members arrived post World War II, they would have come from Poland or the USSR.”

Sig
Old 04-11-2021, 02:07 PM

hope U tell us what was in the letter
Old 04-11-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
It will depend on where your ancestors were living in Europe, who was in charge of the country, and the year the document was created. I recently attended 3 genealogy Zoom sessions on “Eastern European Genealogy” and this scenario was discussed in some length as the borders there changed hands many times.

Below is an excerpt from the handout and discussion.

“First, you should note that nationalities indicated on immigration will not always conform to what you know about your family’s origins. If you are Ukrainian, you should note that if your family members arrived be-fore 1922, they will not be listed as “Ukrainian.” They would be listed as Austrian, Galician, or Ruthenian. If your family members arrived between 1922 and 1939, they may be shown as Ukrainian but coming from Poland [those from Galicia] or the USSR. If your family members arrived post World War II, they would have come from the USSR, Poland, and most recently Ukraine.
If your family is Polish and your family member arrived before 1918, they will be shown as Polish but not from Poland. If your family members arrived between 1922 and 1939, many but not all Poles would be listed as coming from Poland. If your family members arrived post World War II, they would have come from Poland or the USSR.”

Sig
Yes my grand father came over in the 1890's, and was documented as Austrian.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Once upon a time in Canada, Polish immigrants were subject to intense, outright discrimination. It wasn't uncommon for entire families to change their nationality in order to improve their situation.
Don't judge them. We can't understand the choices they had to make or what they went through in order to provide for their families.
Times have mostly changed for the better.
This may be true as they never really discussed their lives in the Old Country with their children.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:38 PM

Sort of related but not really. Read "Poland" by James Michener. A real eye opener albeit, way back when.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
The face book group says the writing is in Polish, That is a shock, My Grandfathers family spoke Ukrainian at home and considered themselves Ukrainian. These letters shine a different light on things, Can anyone out there read Polish, I am willing to pay for an interpretation. Thanks.
I assume this means the writing is not in Cyrillic ? My dad was Ukrainian but as he said was born under polish rule, was educated by the polish.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
I assume this means the writing is not in Cyrillic ? My dad was Ukrainian but as he said was born under polish rule, was educated by the polish.
Your right not Cyrillic, Thanks for the info that's interesting.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Your right not Cyrillic, Thanks for the info that's interesting.
My gramma said you had to check what flag was flying in the courtyard to know what country you were in.