Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2021, 03:29 PM

Default Fishing Regulations. Do you hate the lay out !

Every one I have talked to ,just hate the lay out .

I am sure there are a few on hear that will go against what I am saying ,
But it is not user friendly !

We all look in the book to find out about one lake ,what changes they made and if you can keep any fish.

Now to find that Lake I need to find out which water shed its in ,and there are a lot of them

I don't want to know that and i don't care .

Why can't they just have all the lakes listed all together in alphabetical order .

Its like looking in a telephone book and I need to find a guys name ,but i have to search all 6 area for his name . First i look in SE Edmonton and look for his name and when i can't find it I have to look in the SW part of Edmonton and can't find it .and so on ! This is what they did with the lakes in the regulations book .
Old 04-07-2021, 03:37 PM

Could they use improvement yes everything can but I don’t mind them and find them easy enough to use
Old 04-07-2021, 04:17 PM

I much prefered the old style as well. The new style is a pain to read on a phone. I also found you have to scroll through many pages of adds before you find anything "regulations" related.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-07-2021, 04:19 PM

Try reading the B.C. regs...

Besides, it's 10 zones and half you can rule out right off the bat with common sense. Do you want them to come out and bait your hook for you too?

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 04-07-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:44 PM

I really like our format for the fishing regulations.
Probably the 2nd easiest to read and understand of the 5 province I’ve fished in recently. They are almost idiot proof kinda like looking at a picture.
I find most people that have issues with them are looking for issues and never bother to take the time to understand.
The regulations are one of our most valuable fishing tools each year and it surprises me the amount of anglers that go out time and time again year after year with out taking the time to learn to use this free easy to use tool.
They certainly do not go out fishing countless times without learning their boats or their expensive rods and reels but shrug their shoulders at learning understanding and properly using the regulations.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:25 PM

An big improvement over the previous layout in my opinion.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I really like our format for the fishing regulations.
Probably the 2nd easiest to read and understand of the 5 province I’ve fished in recently. They are almost idiot proof kinda like looking at a picture.
I find most people that have issues with them are looking for issues and never bother to take the time to understand.
The regulations are one of our most valuable fishing tools each year and it surprises me the amount of anglers that go out time and time again year after year with out taking the time to learn to use this free easy to use tool.
They certainly do not go out fishing countless times without learning their boats or their expensive rods and reels but shrug their shoulders at learning understanding and properly using the regulations.

There is all all ways someone.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Nope, I don't mind it. The map shows the areas then pick.
WDF
Old 04-07-2021, 07:48 PM

I don't understand the issue here. If you know where your lake is, geographically speaking, there should be no issue .....

At least you will (should) have a clue what zone that lake falls in??? The lake will then be listed alphabetically within that zone ????

I think it's just fine. I see no big challenge here.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Well you asked. Mumbles was just responding to you. I agree with him and EZM

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-08-2021, 08:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I don't mind it...pretty easy to navigate and understand.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-08-2021, 09:25 AM

i find it pretty straightforward, but i've never seen the older style. plus in the digital age its pretty easy to find out what zone you are in and if you aren't sure of a lake theres only a few options it could be.

also for using on your phone, you can go here https://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/ (though for some reason when you click pp1 it actually goes to the pp2 page and then you have to click pp1 there to get to it) and then click a zone and then download the regs for just that zone. sometimes its even separated into rivers/streams and lakes/ponds depending on the zone. so if there is one or two zones you normally use just download those ones and then you dont have to scroll through the entire book every time.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:48 AM

I don't think that are bad at all. When using a device with a small screen it can suck a bit since the regs span the whole page and the lake/rivers sections are sideways. Otherwise I can't complain.

They should work on a better way to put the regs in the AlbertaRealm app instead of just using the PDF.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I don't mind it...pretty easy to navigate and understand.
I agree.
There's always room for improvement, granted, but overall it's pretty good.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I don't understand the issue here. If you know where your lake is, geographically speaking, there should be no issue .....

At least you will (should) have a clue what zone that lake falls in??? The lake will then be listed alphabetically within that zone ????

I think it's just fine. I see no big challenge here.
X2
Old 04-08-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
The new style is a pain to read on a phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
When using a device with a small screen it can suck a bit
There are "paper" copies available....
Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 PM

I like it. No real issues.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:10 AM

I've had no issues reading the Regs, if you download the PDF version you can even search a water body by name.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-09-2021, 09:52 AM

one thing i do wish is that they had an online version of the regs that was like the old alberta fishing guide site, where you can lookup a lake specifically and get detailed info about it, with not just the limits but also what other species of fish are there. its too bad they didn't keep that site updated and it got shut down.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher69 View Post
one thing i do wish is that they had an online version of the regs that was like the old alberta fishing guide site, where you can lookup a lake specifically and get detailed info about it, with not just the limits but also what other species of fish are there. its too bad they didn't keep that site updated and it got shut down.
That was a handy site, for sure.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone with some time on their hands and some web site experience, though!
Old 04-09-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Regs

I find the electronic versions can be a bit challenging to use but, that's just me. As to the printed copy, I have no trouble navigating through it (years of practice maybe?) and I look forward to reading them every year when I renew my license.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post
I find the electronic versions can be a bit challenging to use but, that's just me. As to the printed copy, I have no trouble navigating through it (years of practice maybe?) and I look forward to reading them every year when I renew my license.
X2 on what Stiks said. Just have to remember to pick up the printed version now that I don't need a license. Small benefit to getting old I guess.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Now to find that Lake I need to find out which water shed its in ,and there are a lot of them
It is not like the lakes move every year or rotate between water sheds. They are always exactly where you found them last year...and the year before...
Old 04-11-2021, 07:04 AM

Much better than other province regs. The online versions could use work, but overall it is easy to use.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Every one I have talked to ,just hate the lay out .

I am sure there are a few on hear that will go against what I am saying ,
But it is not user friendly !

We all look in the book to find out about one lake ,what changes they made and if you can keep any fish.

I don't want to know that and i don't care .

Why can't they just have all the lakes listed all together in alphabetical order .

Its like looking in a telephone book and I need to find a guys name ,but i have to search all 6 area for his name . First i look in SE Edmonton and look for his name and when i can't find it I have to look in the SW part of Edmonton and can't find it .and so on ! This is what they did with the lakes in the regulations book .

You’re right there is always one...
It appears to be you!!!
Old 04-11-2021, 08:08 AM

Download as a pdf and then use the search option. Works well but unfortunately most never type in the name of the place so spend hours looking instead of seconds.