Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2021, 10:49 AM

Default Salter's Lake dead?

Listened to a presentation from a fisheries biologist last night. Salter's died off in the summer due to low oxygen levels and wasn't stocked in the fall due to low oxygen levels. Even some concern whether or not it will be stocked this spring.

Disappointing to say the least, there were some decent sized 'bows and tigers in there.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:38 AM

I was out there a week ago and there were a fair number of holes drilled and the aerator was working . Didn't catch anything myself, though.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:36 PM

Fished it in September with two other buddies and not a sniff. Saw tons of scuds near the surface which is a sure sign of low oxygen levels. What shame.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:39 AM

Bummer.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:24 AM

There are several aerators in that little lake. Not quite understanding how the oxygen levels got so low that the entire lake was compromised. Of course my biology degree is still in the mail but I enjoyed kicking around there on a nice summer day as well as a few hardwater trips. Disappointing news indeed.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
There are several aerators in that little lake. Not quite understanding how the oxygen levels got so low that the entire lake was compromised. Of course my biology degree is still in the mail but I enjoyed kicking around there on a nice summer day as well as a few hardwater trips. Disappointing news indeed.
In Sept the diffuser aerators were not running, only the fountain aerator was working. The outhouse was also so full it was almost over flowing. I think a little more attention is needed for this little trout gem.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:41 PM

I was told the theory is that the high water levels rotted all the vegetation around the shore, depleting the oxygen.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:51 PM

Salters is one of ponds I use my float tube. I'll try it a couple of times to see if it is dead
Old 03-22-2021, 07:34 PM

Fished there later in the fall, and saw no signs of fish either. No bites or anything...
Old 03-22-2021, 07:58 PM

Default Farms

Farms around drain natural in the lake. It was good 5-6 years ago. Sorry to hear it is almost dead.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrozap View Post
Farms around drain natural in the lake. It was good 5-6 years ago. Sorry to hear it is almost dead.
Actually made 22 trips to Salter's in 2019, from April to late October: lots of good 'bows and tigers and only skunked on one day.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:06 AM

I wonder how it is now...
Old 03-26-2021, 02:38 PM

Some good news on Salters! Athough there was a complete kill, the surface aerator and all the diffusers are now working fully again and dissolved oxygen levels have significantly increased to the extent that the hatchery should be able to restock the lake this spring. Should be some decent fishing there again once the fish put on some weight over the summer. Don't know for sure who did the necessary work to fix the aeration problem but suspect thanks are due to Onoway Fish and Game.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSL View Post
Some good news on Salters! Athough there was a complete kill, the surface aerator and all the diffusers are now working fully again and dissolved oxygen levels have significantly increased to the extent that the hatchery should be able to restock the lake this spring. Should be some decent fishing there again once the fish put on some weight over the summer. Don't know for sure who did the necessary work to fix the aeration problem but suspect thanks are due to Onoway Fish and Game.
Good news Peter, except that there are likely a lot of locals in the area with empty freezers and lots of time for a refill.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSL View Post
Thanx for the update Peter.