Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2021, 10:56 AM

Default Guided hunt trips - are they worth it?

I am turning 50 at the end of the month. Thinking of treating myself to something special. I am considering a guided hunt trip, custom rifle or something else memorable. It doesn’t seem like international travel is a convenient option this year.

I have never been on one or even looked into them. To be honest, I don’t even know where to start. I’ve seen some crazy prices on-line for Alaska / Yukon trips. My Budget would be around 7K max.

I’ve only been hunting for about 8-9 years, all of them in Northern Alberta. I’ve only shot deer and bear. Would love to take an Elk and Moose. I’ve tried but no success so far, some close opportunities but couldn’t close the deal. Lol

With all the Covid restrictions I would want to stay within Canada.

I am thinking horse back could be a really cool experience or fly in to a remote area. Would consider drop camp options too - for me its more about the experience.

Where did you go and was it worth it?
What did you spend?
Would you do it again?
Where not to go or book with?

You can PM me as well. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I am turning 50 at the end of the month. Thinking of treating myself to something special. I am considering a guided hunt trip, custom rifle or something else memorable. It doesn’t seem like international travel is a convenient option this year.

I have never been on one or even looked into them. To be honest, I don’t even know where to start. I’ve seen some crazy prices on-line for Alaska / Yukon trips. My Budget would be around 7K max.

I’ve only been hunting for about 8-9 years, all of them in Northern Alberta. I’ve only shot deer and bear. Would love to take an Elk and Moose. I’ve tried but no success so far, some close opportunities but couldn’t close the deal. Lol

With all the Covid restrictions I would want to stay within Canada.

I am thinking horse back could be a really cool experience or fly in to a remote area. Would consider drop camp options too - for me its more about the experience.

Where did you go and was it worth it?
What did you spend?
Would you do it again?
Where not to go or book with?

You can PM me as well. Thanks.
I have gone on several guided hunts, for a variety of reasons, from not having the equipment and time to scout an area, or because the only way to hunt certain species, was out of province, or just wanting to experience a mountain horseback hunt, or wanting to hunt where I had a chance at a much larger than average animal. I only paid the normal rate for a few hunts, and they were lower priced hunts at the time. The rest were cancelations, when someone had paid a 50% deposit, but something came up, and they couldn't go. In those cases, I paid the remaining amount owing for the hunt, and in one case even less, because the hunt was only a few days from starting, and the outfitter wanted to sell it, because it was the last year of his quota. While cancelations are the most affordable, you do need to be able to go on very short notice, which means your work schedule needs to be flexible, and you want to keep in hunting shape for a mountain backpack hunt. I don't regret spending the money, a hunt is like a vacation to me, so I considered them vacation expenses. At $7,000, you are well below most premium hunts for elk or moose, but you might find a good deal on a cancelation, or if covid lasts through next fall, you might get a good deal on a hunt.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-11-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Banned

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/en/Tour/18717
Old 02-11-2021, 11:42 AM
Banned

With trudeau botching the vaccine delivery program. I don’t see him opening the borders before next season
Figure out what animal you actually want to hunt or what you want out of the hunt and start calling outfitters and making plans
I sent a link for a mtn goat hunt
Your chances of ever getting a mtn goat tag in alberta is slim to none
You can always get a moose or an elk tag here
A goat hunt, is a real adventure
Old 02-11-2021, 12:28 PM

A goat hunt, is a real adventure

That is one of the few guided hunts I would consider and you don't have to go far either.

Grizz
Old 02-11-2021, 01:05 PM

Mtn goat hunts can be done for under 7k with the borders closed. Ive done 4 now and although they have all been hard hunts they are very rewarding.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:35 PM

I've never been on a guided hunt myself would much rather doing a hunter host option in BC, if that's an option there are some decent deals that go on the SCI auctions pages. https://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com/ with the boarder still being closed I'm sure you can find a hunt for a decent price.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Mtn goat hunts can be done for under 7k with the borders closed. Ive done 4 now and although they have all been hard hunts they are very rewarding.
Who’s selling one for 6k? I’d go in a second
Old 02-11-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Who’s selling one for 6k? I’d go in a second
Me first! Lol, I really just want to do 1 goat hunt in my life.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:41 PM
Banned

I love going on hunts out of province
You don’t know what your missing until you do it

A mountain hunt in the bc rockys for goats.
You’ll remember that one forever
Old 02-11-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I love going on hunts out of province
You don’t know what your missing until you do it

A mountain hunt in the bc rockys for goats.
You’ll remember that one forever
I second this. It might be the best year to go as covid should have rates down
Old 02-11-2021, 03:47 PM

I took advantage of the covid situation in November and did a late season goat hunt with Bolen Lewis in November. Theyre a little pricier as far as goat hunts go, but I wouldn't hesitate to go again as it was an adventure of a lifetime and as stated above, you likely aren't going to draw the tag in alberta. I ended up shooting a goat with perfect winter hair that is currently at the taxidermist. I'm already saving up for the next one.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanden View Post
I took advantage of the covid situation in November and did a late season goat hunt with Bolen Lewis in November. Theyre a little pricier as far as goat hunts go, but I wouldn't hesitate to go again as it was an adventure of a lifetime and as stated above, you likely aren't going to draw the tag in alberta. I ended up shooting a goat with perfect winter hair that is currently at the taxidermist. I'm already saving up for the next one.
Pics or it didn’t happen ;-)
Old 02-11-2021, 05:20 PM

A Husband and wife trip to Andrew lake for moose and some fishing makes for a good time. You also would have a chance at bear and wolf..
Old 02-11-2021, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
A Husband and wife trip to Andrew lake for moose and some fishing makes for a good time. You also would have a chance at bear and wolf..
Was thinking about that one too
There is a couple outfits that do resident drop camps
But right now would be an awesome time to go on a goat hunt or something like that in bc while the border is closed

That’s just my thinking though
Old 02-11-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanden View Post
That's awesome man!!! And long time no see!
Old 02-11-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Drive to Fort McMurray and then fly in, I assume.
Total cost to you? Including flying the moose out?
What if you wanted two tags, and 3 hunters?
You recommend them?
Heard of them quite often but never looked into the outfit.
Will do more detailed investigation if folks here recommend.
Shot a nice bull moose last year, but you know how long one must wait for next opportunity (as long as a 65 year old fart like me lives that long)
Thanks

RBH
Old 02-11-2021, 07:17 PM

I second the goat hunt. I did one this fall with my brother and we both took billies. Got a great covid price.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Be Hunting View Post
Drive to Fort McMurray and then fly in, I assume.
Total cost to you? Including flying the moose out?
What if you wanted two tags, and 3 hunters?
You recommend them?
Heard of them quite often but never looked into the outfit.
Will do more detailed investigation if folks here recommend.
Shot a nice bull moose last year, but you know how long one must wait for next opportunity (as long as a 65 year old fart like me lives that long)
Thanks

RBH
We drove to Ft Smith. Can’t remember the price as our trip was many years ago.
Took a 40 inch moose and ate a lot of lake trout.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:41 PM

getting some great ideas and making notes on some suggestions. thanks.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:53 PM

Jay have you ever thought about going to Africa? If so try Wild Horizon in South Africa you can have a great time. Talk to Guy and see what he make happen.

Just my 2 cents

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Jay have you ever thought about going to Africa? If so try Wild Horizon in South Africa you can have a great time. Talk to Guy and see what he make happen.

Just my 2 cents

TEH

I haven’t. I may down the road but for now I’d like to stay in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2021, 10:47 AM

Default Africa

I turned 50 in 2019 and made the decision to go to South Africa. I wanted a Cape buffalo hunt for that . I found a 5 day cow Cape buffalo hunt for $4000 U.S . This I liked and found affordable so I bumped it to 7 days and took 5 plains game animals as well. Unless your talking deer or black bear hunting South African hunts can be far, far cheaper than any Canadian/Alaskan hunts. The wife really enjoyed the scenery and adventure as well.

Gives you an excuse to buy a big gun as well ...
Old 02-12-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
I turned 50 in 2019 and made the decision to go to South Africa. I wanted a Cape buffalo hunt for that . I found a 5 day cow Cape buffalo hunt for $4000 U.S . This I liked and found affordable so I bumped it to 7 days and took 5 plains game animals as well. Unless your talking deer or black bear hunting South African hunts can be far, far cheaper than any Canadian/Alaskan hunts. The wife really enjoyed the scenery and adventure as well.

Gives you an excuse to buy a big gun as well ...
I agree this is the way to go. A caribou hunt in Manitoba is going to run you 8500 plus and that is only 1 animal. I believe there is going to be some smoking hot deals in SA once this covid thing is over.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
I agree this is the way to go. A caribou hunt in Manitoba is going to run you 8500 plus and that is only 1 animal. I believe there is going to be some smoking hot deals in SA once this covid thing is over.
Once this is over, everyone who’s hunts have been postponed will be going first. The best deals you will find will probably be right now. Too bad our fearless leader has botched the vaccine delivery and has shut down the border.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:36 PM

Any Mountain Caribou deals or outfitter suggestions?
Old 02-12-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilmich View Post
Any Mountain Caribou deals or outfitter suggestions?
If the borders don’t open you might find one in the Yukon for $12-14K Canadian, I think Dustin Roe did some last season for $10K ish ?

I’ll do one if you find a couple moose hunters to go with you. But my prices aren’t changing for Canadians. Our rates are the same regardless of your country of origin 😉
Old 02-12-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
If the borders don’t open you might find one in the Yukon for $12-14K Canadian, I think Dustin Roe did some last season for $10K ish ?

I’ll do one if you find a couple moose hunters to go with you. But my prices aren’t changing for Canadians. Our rates are the same regardless of your country of origin 😉
12-14K for 1 animal...can harvest a lot of African plains game for that much cash...1 Eland which are bigger than moose cost around $2700U.S ...Blesbok $400 U.S...There’s no comparison and bringing your own rifle is no big deal either...FYI
Old 02-12-2021, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
12-14K for 1 animal...can harvest a lot of African plains game for that much cash...1 Eland which are bigger than moose cost around $2700U.S ...Blesbok $400 U.S...There’s no comparison and bringing your own rifle is no big deal either...FYI
One is a fly-in backpack or horse back hunt in the mountains
The other you ride in the back of a truck, chasing critters behind a fence

Don’t get me wrong, shooting stuff is fun
But there is a difference

Plus you can’t fly to South Africa right now. Even if you could, If you come back with the South African variant of COVID. You get to stay in jail for 4 weeks, not the usual 2 weeks.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Theres no comparison is a good statement. No reason to compare them, they're completely different hunts/experiences. No idea why it matters if one is more than the other or if you think that one hunt is better value than another. Its up to each individual to hunt what they want. For some its Africa, for some its Canada, etc, etc.