Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-07-2021, 12:54 PM

Default Bowtech Carbon Icon Upgrades Or...

Looking for advice from the well-seasoned shooters on here.

I currently shoot a Bowtech Carbon Icon which I’ve had since I started shooting about 4 season as ago.

I’m at the point where I really want to get my shooting and equipment dialed. In addition to some coaching and more consistent practice I think it’s time I upgraded a few components on my bow.
Currently it has the stock 4 pin sight, “three brush whisker biscuit” style rest and the small stock stabilizer.

I love a light mountain rifle but last season I started to feel like such a light bow might not be the most favorable on those windier days hunting. Perhaps a heavier setup would help eliminate some of the floatiness on those windier days?
I also have a 30.5” draw cycle which makes me wonder if I would benefit from a bow with a longer axle to axle length if I’m going down the path of a new bow anyhow...

Anyway, my question is:

Do I stick with the Carbon Icon and simply upgrade the sight, stabilizer and rest?
Or maybe I’m better off to sell the bow as-is and buck up for a whole new setup altogether?

Am I just being crazy thinking I might get better accuracy with a longer axle to axle length?

Thanks all!!
Old 02-07-2021, 02:13 PM

I was in the same boat as you and I picked up a used Hoyt maxxis that came with a nice sight and drop away rest. I can shoot it much better than the carbon icon and it just feels like a higher quality bow. I paid $400 for the 10 year old Hoyt and sold mine for $525. I’d assume a 2015-16 flagship bow could be had for around $700
Old 02-07-2021, 02:42 PM
Banned

Picking up a higher end, but older, used bow, or just whipping out the card and building a whole new set up is always an option. However, with a new set up you will need a sight, a rest, a stabilizer, etc. Why not start with those on the Carbon Icon and then make a decision? Possibly a new set of strings on top of that? There is nothing wrong with the Carbon Icon at all.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:24 PM

I’m running the carbon icon I’ve upgraded the rest and site. The stock rest was terrible the hairs kept falling out and I was for ever sighting it in and chasing groups in till the brush wore out then repeat. I moved to a drop away and it made the bow shoot a lot nicer, now I dont see all the crazy inconsistent groups and non stop zeroing anymore. The sites didn’t make must of a difference other than I got a slider for 3D shooting at longer ranges I’m still figuring it out. I would like to get a new stabilizer but I need a quiver first. my plan is to run the bow for a few more seasons (had it 4 years now) and then upgrade and move my accessories over if there still in good shape. I dont know if the newer bows have changed the game enough for my to feel comfortable running out to the store and getting a new one just yet.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:34 AM

Running carbon icon for the last year, got rid of the rest as was pretty worn out went to a drop away. Still rocking the 4 fixed pin sight, wanted to upgrade this year but blowing the budget on other stuff.

Upgraded to a 8-21" adjustable stabilizer, definitely helped my shooting in a big way best upgrade I've ever done.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:20 PM

I have one too. Changing the rest to a drop-away made a huge difference for me!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:59 PM

Thanks everyone for all the input!

Sounds like there is some really low-hanging fruit in the way of the rest, stabilizer and sight upgrades.
That 3-brush rest is awful for sure. The speed at which it wears out is concerning. I can't help but think the slop that increases rapidly can't be great for repeatable shots.

I think I'll keep an eye out for deals on those components while I have some time and then build it up and try it out. If I still want a new bow I suppose I could buy a bare bow and swap all the nicer components over to it.

ghfalls - Interesting about the Hoyt. A buddy of mine shoots that bow and really likes it. Feels good in my hand but I'm a lefty and he's a righty...
Old 02-08-2021, 07:49 PM

Ive had mine for about 5 years now. Never shot at an animal yet.... next year will be different...

I changed out the rest for a QAD HDX and its 10000x better. I also put a Trophy Ridge React5 sight on it (thanks Scott!) and its been deadly accurate since.

Next thing I need is new strings as mine are stretched out now.

Still rocking the stock stabilizer, might upgrade to a bee stinger this year.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:04 AM

I've had my Carbon Icon for a few years, replaced the factory rest with a QAD drop-away, and it made a positive difference to accuracy for sure. I was good before, better after. I've also replaced the stabilizer with a Bee Stinger, and put on a Tight Spot quiver....great bow!
Old 02-11-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltheim View Post
I've had my Carbon Icon for a few years, replaced the factory rest with a QAD drop-away, and it made a positive difference to accuracy for sure. I was good before, better after. I've also replaced the stabilizer with a Bee Stinger, and put on a Tight Spot quiver....great bow!
I did the drop away and a stabilizer as well, this made a huge difference. You can get very tight groups with this setup. Even got second place in a archery comp wit this set up. The icon is a good bow for the money -- plus if you buy quality addons like caltheim and me you can always sawp over in future.

Shot big game and birds with this bow no problema.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:09 AM

After a year I upgraded my 4 pin stock sight with a react 5 pro that I absolutely love. I hated that 4 pin... Adjusting it was a chore and twice, in the field I found it just sliding along loose. I was surprised how far off the third axis was with the stock sight at a 45 degree angle.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:55 AM

Default Bowtech Carbon Icon Upgrades Or...

I’ve owned the Icon for 4 seasons and upgraded the following: QAD drop away, 8” beestinger stab. The drop away made a huge difference in my opinion and I enjoy shooting the bow more with the stab as well (going to add some more counterweights this season) as the bow does feel light. Going to upgrade the sight this year and get some new strings.

I have a couple questions for fellow Icon owners:

Do any of you use the bow on the performance setting? Do you find this is a big difference from the comfort setting power/speed wise?

I seem to have a problem with peep twist. I still have original strings on the bow, could this be why?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by trophyhunter; 04-04-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:41 PM

Default Get new Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
I’ve owned the Icon for 4 seasons and upgraded the following: QAD drop away, 8” beestinger stab. The drop away made a huge difference in my opinion and I enjoy shooting the bow more with the stab as well (going to add some more counterweights this season) as the bow does feel light. Going to upgrade the sight this year and get some new strings.

I have a couple questions for fellow Icon owners: b

Do any of you use the bow on the performance setting? Do you find this is a big difference from the comfort setting power/speed wise?
Big change in speed but certainly the feel of the draw. Just loosen the three screws and flip it over to see yourself. No bow press needed for that.

I seem to have a problem with peep twist. I still have original strings on the bow, could this be why? New strings will fix this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a
Old 04-04-2021, 07:52 PM

My suggestion would be to sell that bow as a package and buy a completely new set up. A longer axle to axle will most definitely help. I would look at a 33-34 inch bow. A higher end bow from one of the leading manufactures will outperform the icon on every account. If you go for a hoyt Mathews bowtech or pse from 2017-2019 you can likely build yourself a dang nice set up for 1500-1800 dollars.

Pm me if you want to go this route and have any questions about where to get started.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:24 AM

I have a friend that shoots a icon for along time now taken bears moosse deer sheep with it and say no need to fix whats not broken.
Unless you want a new bow.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:19 AM

I have owned the Bowtech Carbon Icon for 4 years now as well. I only have a 28" draw. Like many here I also replaced the rest with a QAD.

I have had others shoot it that owned more expensive bows and they really liked how light it was. I think it might depend if you're using it for spot and stalk or just hiking it into a tree stand or blind.

If I were you I would consider replacing the rest and continue shooting it. If you get a chance to do a demo day or shoot some other bows that feel better then you might have your answer. My buddy had a Prime that I shot that just felt amazingly quiet, even though you can't feel quiet that's the best I can describe it.

Tags
accuracy, ata, compact, weight, wind