Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 07:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Thanks for posting those pictures and the up date
Looking back man I believe in karma....the crew that came over and locked into my front bumper to nudge ol'blue 10' back later landed three in an hour....which was awesome.....one was a really nice one!!!! we were alll 100 yards apart but had our holes covering the top of the drop right down to the bottom and then lengthwise too just to see where and what they preferred...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-08-2021, 10:11 AM

So it seemed very hard packed most places. I decided to turn around at one point at a snow drift. Ofcourse I got stuck in the jeep. LOL

I did not need an auger extension for my jiffy.

Had alot of chasers and not many that would take the bait. Dead stick caught nothing. Only landed 8 on the ice using jigging raps and tubejigs. Largest one was just 28 inches. Feels like 50 pounds at 150 feet deep though!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-08-2021, 04:36 PM

Reporting back. We ended up fishing from 10am to 4 pm this past sat. Had one on immediately after dropping the first hook into the lake and thought we hit the gold mine. Pretty great way to start. Lost it close to the hole and did not have a bite after that all day. Saw about 6 on the sonar all about 80-90 feet and no more bites. Tried about 65 to 100 feet at prov park. Thanks again for all of the tips, the boys had a blast even though we did not get one on the ice. we will definitely be back and will be staying overnight next time, sort of a long drive from etown, kids did not mind it at all though. Does the bite get better later in March?..
Old 03-08-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
So it seemed very hard packed most places. I decided to turn around at one point at a snow drift. Ofcourse I got stuck in the jeep. LOL

I did not need an auger extension for my jiffy.

Had alot of chasers and not many that would take the bait. Dead stick caught nothing. Only landed 8 on the ice using jigging raps and tubejigs. Largest one was just 28 inches. Feels like 50 pounds at 150 feet deep though!
Only 8 he says. Great job!!!
Old 03-08-2021, 06:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribolovac View Post
Reporting back. We ended up fishing from 10am to 4 pm this past sat. Had one on immediately after dropping the first hook into the lake and thought we hit the gold mine. Pretty great way to start. Lost it close to the hole and did not have a bite after that all day. Saw about 6 on the sonar all about 80-90 feet and no more bites. Tried about 65 to 100 feet at prov park. Thanks again for all of the tips, the boys had a blast even though we did not get one on the ice. we will definitely be back and will be staying overnight next time, sort of a long drive from etown, kids did not mind it at all though. Does the bite get better later in March?..
Hit or miss in various areas....I just fish deeper in general in which the dead sticks out fish me...I don't hang around in 90' but find areas 100' and deeper with a fast drop over a short distance and if the bait fish are coming and going I will hunker down....lets just say it is not like early season January where 20 plus in a sit is the norm...at least the weather was nice and you enjoyed yourselves.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:11 PM

We’re out today. Brutal slow. Skunked yesterday , skunked so far today. Not one bite
Old 03-09-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
We’re out today. Brutal slow. Skunked yesterday , skunked so far today. Not one bite
you need to buy my LX9 I have for sale. Guaranteed to catch fish LOL

Respect wildlife
Old 03-09-2021, 05:47 PM

Hows the access at the provincial park? Is it easy driving or lots of hard pack drifts to watch out for? Haven't been out this year but heading up on friday hoping to land a few.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn D View Post
Hows the access at the provincial park? Is it easy driving or lots of hard pack drifts to watch out for? Haven't been out this year but heading up on friday hoping to land a few.
Hard packed and thick ice....good to go but any place that a hut was and the snow drifts around or any drift just plow through it as they are a few feet high and if the temps get warm and you stop on it....well ya need a push or start shovelling....your spinning on wet snow right down to the ice....no traction unless your tires are studded.

A few small ridges with snow drifted on them too but you will see them...

Old 03-10-2021, 07:22 AM

Wink

Quote:
well today is whopper wednesday
last Wednesday we hammered them.....maybe the fatties only come out when it counts and it a two'fer one deal....double up and lay it on the bottom

Old 03-10-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
well today is whopper wednesday
last Wednesday we hammered them.....maybe the fatties only come out when it counts and it a two'fer one deal....double up and lay it on the bottom
Well that was painfully humbling. 3 guys over 2 days and we didn't get ONE bite. Drilled easy 100 holes, tried every piece of tackle in the box. Just took a beating. Then got a ticket on the way home for one last kick in the seeds. lol.

First time being skunked in close to 10 years. I gotta say, I'm not a big fan.

The war isn't over, but Cold one that battle with authority.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Hit or miss in various areas....I just fish deeper in general in which the dead sticks out fish me...I don't hang around in 90' but find areas 100' and deeper with a fast drop over a short distance and if the bait fish are coming and going I will hunker down....lets just say it is not like early season January where 20 plus in a sit is the norm...at least the weather was nice and you enjoyed yourselves.
So I don't fish cold lake much....once twice a year maybe....but I do fish la plonge and a couple other lakes for Lakers. I notice you are usually on the deep side where as I'm typically looking for 30-70 foot deep reefs and ledges from basically post spawn until end of March. I use the same tactics on cold and never seem to have problems catching fish....but again I don't fish it often and don't have many "spots" on the lake. Is "going deep" something you've just always done there or something you've gravitated to over time based on success? I mean water temp is 38F in the whole lake and there's no shortage of oxygen anywhere....I've never gotten the whole go deep thing in the winter. Summer/fall different story.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So I don't fish cold lake much....once twice a year maybe....but I do fish la plonge and a couple other lakes for Lakers. I notice you are usually on the deep side where as I'm typically looking for 30-70 foot deep reefs and ledges from basically post spawn until end of March. I use the same tactics on cold and never seem to have problems catching fish....but again I don't fish it often and don't have many "spots" on the lake. Is "going deep" something you've just always done there or something you've gravitated to over time based on success? I mean water temp is 38F in the whole lake and there's no shortage of oxygen anywhere....I've never gotten the whole go deep thing in the winter. Summer/fall different story.
I will cruise around early season say Jan in 90' ish of water but again that would be the top of a shelf for the most part and if I see bait then that is where I will play...now the deep parts are the bottom of a drop and I see fish all over the water columns chasing the bait but since I can lay bait on the bottom I will and find right now that the larger ones prefer to just pick up off the bottoms and I can catch the odd one mid shelve using jig, spoons etc but they seem to be smaller...also if you watch your fish finder occasionally there will be a lot of disturbance and chances are there is a underwater spring that for whatever reason discharges a lot of water in which disturbs the water column...bait fish come in hard and so do the lakers...we found a awesome one at 140' that seems to burp hard once every hour or so...we go there occasionally to check that out too..every lake has a variety of ways to catch lakers not necessary going to line up with another lake..too many variables.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:50 AM

Thumbs up

Went out to sit in the sun and enjoy lunch...no worries just lay back and snooze....ya right...got one up through the hole and managed to loose a bunch too....barbless hooks after a haul from 160' better be set well...one treble on a spoon is asking much but ohh well it was fun either way.....the dead stick/jaw jacker had the day off even changed bait, refreshed it too but hey that fishing.

Now that I think about many of the bites they might have been hitting the willow leaf 3' above the spoon....oh well kept me from totally falling asleep

Old 03-12-2021, 07:31 PM

Been creeping this thread for awhile and this weekend made it out. Very green noob, first ever time on cold lake but were giving it a good go. Sleeping on the ice just off provincial park. Would love any and all advise from who ever is willing lol. PM or come say high. Silver tacoma and red tent with stove pipe. Let you know how the weekend goes.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:59 AM

I’m also gonna be heading to cold lake later today!! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Respect wildlife
Old 03-13-2021, 05:43 PM

Thumbs up A Fishing Story

Well what a beauty day out on the hard water, lots of action and I mean action...so we are in 190' of water again because we had some serious marks so hey might as well hang out there....well one fish that I caught and if my wife was not there to witness it people would say you be smokin'something...so I am at the bottom with a TC Moto white and blue tipped with a small herring well after my wife started to out fish me I decided time to change....reeling up rather fast thinking of what to put on next and at about 5' below the hole I get hit hard so I set hard back only to look down and I snagged the ice hole....well I look into the hole and out of no where a laker comes up...no hook set cuz I caught the ice but must have been dam determined to take a final run right into the hole...well I grabbed it and put it on the ice...both of us totally laughing at the show we just witnessed.....I wonder what went through his mind when he saw the sun then my ugly mug
Wasn't fast and furious but constant action...we caught on tube jigs with herring, sucker belly or just the tubes.....tomorrow is another day to look forward to out on the lake

fishr.jpg

fish2R.jpg

fish1R.jpg

Sorry for sideway pics

Old 03-14-2021, 04:51 PM

Wink And that's a wrap!!!

Done for me as I got surgery on the ol'hip next week but had a blast, we caught some, lost some but more importantly met some awesome people....ended on a good note too...dropped to the bottom and said to my wife promise last reel up...well bam got this little beauty.....this is what I call a eater
Tight Lines and be safe as the lake surface is gonna get questionable soon for safe travel!!!

fishy.jpg

again sorry for the sideways pics....not sure whats going on...maybe trade in the old commodore 64

Old 03-14-2021, 05:08 PM

Thank s for the updates all winter, very much appreciated.

Good luck with the surgery!!

Quote:
Done for me as I got surgery on the ol'hip next week but had a blast, we caught some, lost some but more importantly met some awesome people....ended on a good note too...dropped to the bottom and said to my wife promise last reel up...well bam got this little beauty.....this is what I call a eater
Tight Lines and be safe as the lake surface is gonna get questionable soon for safe travel!!!

Attachment 171684

again sorry for the sideways pics....not sure whats going on...maybe trade in the old commodore 64
Old 03-14-2021, 07:15 PM

I’d like to thank 58 and everyone as well!
I finally made it out this year and slept on the ice. Found a lot of your information very helpful! Managed to land 9 fish on the ice one being 67cm and lost a bunch more. Can’t wait to get on the ice next year
Cheers!!
Old 03-15-2021, 09:46 AM

Had a great weekend on the lake, spent 2 nights in the tent. Saturday was a bust but learned how to use my sonar and saw some lakers chase but never bite which was cool. Had a few little hits but didn't get any on. On sunday fished in the tent with the stove going and hooked into 3 lakers, on of them was 65 cm and very cool colors. Caught 1 at 130 on the bottom, one I saw on the sonar and brought up the hook to it and got it. Only happened once. The third I just start to slowly reel up from 130 and I think about 60 feet saw a mark and stopped, jigged a bit and got my third. Was a great weekend.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:09 AM

had a wonderful weekend on the overnight on the ice as well!! 4 of ice fishing on the ice. on sunday the 15th. We fished between 150 up to 165 feet of water.
A total of 10 fish on the ice biggest one at 28 inches. They all had PB lake trout since it was there first times.

Respect wildlife
Old 03-15-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Attachment 171684

Sounds like you had a pretty great season out there. Nicely done. All the tips and tricks you've shared is much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
had a wonderful weekend on the overnight on the ice as well!! 4 of ice fishing on the ice. on sunday the 15th. We fished between 150 up to 165 feet of water.
A total of 10 fish on the ice biggest one at 28 inches. They all had PB lake trout since it was there first times.
Were you in there group with a black jeep, green jeep and dodge half ton?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Were you in there group with a black jeep, green jeep and dodge half ton?
yes!! that was me! Me and one other friend camped on the ice. The diva in mojito green jeep stayed at the holiday inn and had his continental breakfast before he joined me haha

were you fishing within the area?

Respect wildlife
Old 03-15-2021, 01:52 PM

How were ice conditions and access after this latest stretch of warm weather? Will be heading out during the week and was wondering if we can drive out or should plan to walk out from marina or PP.

Also, any burbot action at night?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horpensky View Post
How were ice conditions and access after this latest stretch of warm weather? Will be heading out during the week and was wondering if we can drive out or should plan to walk out from marina or PP.

Also, any burbot action at night?

Thanks!
Ice was still thick. my jiffy auger still nearly bottoms out. everyone is still driving and I see big RV ice shacks on the ice still.

Respect wildlife
Old 03-15-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Ice was still thick. my jiffy auger still nearly bottoms out. everyone is still driving and I see big RV ice shacks on the ice still.
Cool. Not too drifty/slushy? We'd be coming out in an SUV (with 4x4).
Old 03-15-2021, 03:09 PM

ice was hard packed most places. When there was a slight bit of a drift I would give it a little extra gas and plowed through. no big deal in the jeep. the only watery slush was just the ramp coming up and down at the provincial park launch.

Respect wildlife
Old 03-16-2021, 06:55 PM

Is it still possible to drive on to the lake? We are planning to be there for this weekend