Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
I recently read Adam Shoalt's - Alone Against the North.
He is one young, crazy, near suicidal canoe explorer.
I've put it on my list. I've been on an explorer binge lately. Finished Into Africa by Martin Dugard about Stanley and Livingstone, Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose about the Lewis and Clark expedition and am just wrapping up Sources of the River by Jack Nisbet about David Thompson's travels.

Prior to that I read a half dozen or so WW2 books starting with a few on fighter pilots as well as the battles in the Pacific.

Before that I read The Tiger by John Vaillant. A true story of the hunt for a man eating tiger in Siberia in the early 90's.

All great reads.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 PM

Well, it has been a while since I posted any new reads here (even though I have read dozens of good books since The Pandemic started).....but I just finished reading a really interesting book. Probably it is particularly interesting to me, because it is part of my family history, from when my mom's family got booted out of Besserabia in 1940 by the Russians, being relocated to Austria, then Poland, then fleeing Russian troops in January 1945 going back to Germany, to their eventual immigration to Canada (Picture Butte Alberta as a matter of fact)....and so on. I actually learned a ton about my family history. I had no idea my uncle Theo Fredrich was writing a book, but I am really grateful he did. My aunt told me he had written it, so I downloaded it off Amazon, started reading it last night and was done this afternoon. A page turner for me!

I also found out that he is sending printed hardcover copies to all the family members (siblings, nieces and nephews)!

Anyway, this story describes where both sides of my family came from (my dad's family is also from Besserabia and immigrated to Canada about the same time), and though details are different, the broad strokes are very similar. I just talked to my Uncle Theo for a half hour and had a laugh about some of the stories, and let him know how much I enjoyed his storytelling, and how much I learned about our history.

And it makes me glad I got my grandfather's (Opa's) side by side shotgun he bought here. I guess it was a replacement for the really nice one he had in Germany, that his boys buried to keep it safe...(spoiler alert, when they dug it up it was wrecked!). I didn't ever get to know my Opa Fredrich, he died 8 years before I was born, and I didn't know much about him, but after reading this, I was proud to be his grandson. And I think he would probably have been proud of me too.

A link to the book:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08FXXX4HT/..._uLQBFb1PA3G84

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-25-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:55 PM

Default Hell from the Heavens

I finished this one about a month or so ago..
Hell from the Heavens. I saw an interview where Mel Gibson talked about making a movie about this ship
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om-the-heavens

For another bit of history. This summer i purchased the Encyclopedia Americana set from 1906 in pretty good condition. They are a very interesting read. Some opinions have sure changed over the years. I remember reading how they thought asbestos was the miracle fiber and all clothing,curtains and carpet would be made from it. It was thought as a new revolution in clothing. The author could not stop bragging it up.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 09-26-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, it has been a while since I posted any new reads here (even though I have read dozens of good books since The Pandemic started).....but I just finished reading a really interesting book. Probably it is particularly interesting to me, because it is part of my family history, from when my mom's family got booted out of Besserabia in 1940 by the Russians, being relocated to Austria, then Poland, then fleeing Russian troops in January 1945 going back to Germany, to their eventual immigration to Canada (Picture Butte Alberta as a matter of fact)....and so on. I actually learned a ton about my family history. I had no idea my uncle Theo Fredrich was writing a book, but I am really grateful he did. My aunt told me he had written it, so I downloaded it off Amazon, started reading it last night and was done this afternoon. A page turner for me!

I also found out that he is sending printed hardcover copies to all the family members (siblings, nieces and nephews)!

Anyway, this story describes where both sides of my family came from (my dad's family is also from Besserabia and immigrated to Canada about the same time), and though details are different, the broad strokes are very similar. I just talked to my Uncle Theo for a half hour and had a laugh about some of the stories, and let him know how much I enjoyed his storytelling, and how much I learned about our history.

And it makes me glad I got my grandfather's (Opa's) side by side shotgun he bought here. I guess it was a replacement for the really nice one he had in Germany, that his boys buried to keep it safe...(spoiler alert, when they dug it up it was wrecked!). I didn't ever get to know my Opa Fredrich, he died 8 years before I was born, and I didn't know much about him, but after reading this, I was proud to be his grandson. And I think he would probably have been proud of me too.

A link to the book:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08FXXX4HT/..._uLQBFb1PA3G84
Wow, lucky you. When I was younger I had no interest in this stuff, but now I would love to know a piece of what it was like for my Grandparents to immigrate. Neither they or my parents spoke of it much and I never asked.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-26-2020, 06:25 AM

Default Home From The Hill

I just read for the third time Home From The Hill by Fred Webb. What a character! I wish I would have booked into one of his hunting camps and hunted or fished with him. A great read with lots of humor.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:47 AM

Not ordinarily into fiction, but got sucked into the complete short Stories of Ernest Hemingway, the guy is vastly over rated. By the way, has anyone ever eaten a mix of canned spaghetti and pork and beans ?

Grizz
Old 09-26-2020, 07:50 AM

I’ll have to read this thread in it’s entirety, I’m not afraid of pounding through a book.
Recent good reads for me
American Dirt
The Great Alone
Whiskey when we’re Dry
Filthy Rich

Alone against the North was actually sitting beside me as”next up” when I opened this thread.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Gone Hunting

All of Rutherurd's books are excellent but in particular

Russka: The Novel of Russia
by Edward Rutherfurd

Spanning 1800 years of Russia's history, people, poltics, and culture, Edward Rutherfurd, author of the phenomenally successful SARUM: THE NOVEL OF ENGLAND, tells a grand saga that is as multifaceted as Russia itself. Here is a story of a great civilization made human, played out through the lives of four families who are divided by ethnicity but united in shaping the destiny of their land.

Two recent books by Vern Albright, (neither about religion), great reading, Verne is a long time aquaintence so I suppose some bias! Both are excellent my first choice is Playing Chess With God.

Playing Chess With God by Verne Albright

Henning Dietzel, at the urging of a Chilean prostitute named Encinas, investigates rumors of gold in California prior to the 1849 rush. Intrigued he heads to the Gold Country to stake his claim. When others flee a brutal winter, Henning perseveres, and by the time the Forty-Niners arrive, he’s already a wealthy young man.
His saga is a sweeping tale of fortune and misfortune, discovery and tragedy, love and loss. From the backwaters and boardrooms of early San Francisco to malaria infested jungles and a guano island off the coast of Peru, Henning’s search for meaning and purpose eventually brings him to realize that all that glitters is not necessarily gold.

The Wrath of God by Verne Albright

Kenning Dietzel’s attempt to rebuild his businesses—destroyed by a massive tidal wave—is complicated by a desire to also enjoy a satisfying personal life. Quick to recognize opportunity, he amasses an agricultural empire the size of a small country. But his fortunes rise and fall during three disastrous wars followed by struggles with an unscrupulous competitor, a crooked judge, and a slave trader.
All the while he doggedly courts Martine Prado, a feisty, beautiful, seemingly unattainable Peruvian aristocrat whose liberation is a century ahead of its time. Henning accepts her proposal of a mutually advantageous marriage, which combines their haciendas. Rocky at first, the relationship improves until an astonishing, out-of-nowhere answer to Henning’s prayers threatens to destroy it.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Wow, lucky you. When I was younger I had no interest in this stuff, but now I would love to know a piece of what it was like for my Grandparents to immigrate. Neither they or my parents spoke of it much and I never asked.
Agree, I'm fortunate that someone took the time to put it all down. I knew a bit about my dad's history, less about mom's, but also wasn't that interested when I was younger. Now, I find it quite fascinating and informative. It explains some things too...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-26-2020, 05:45 PM

A few that I’ve enjoyed
Joseph Boyden-The Orenda
Jean M Auel-Clan of the cave bear series
Dan Browns DaVinci code series
Harry Combs - Brules, The Scout, The legend of the painted Horse
Old 09-26-2020, 06:01 PM

The Farseer Triligy - Robb Hobb
Heart Waters, sources of the Bow River - Kevin Van Tighem
A River Neer Sleeps - Roderick L. Haig-Brown

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-27-2020, 10:12 AM

I just finished a novel by Robert Crais, called "Suspect" about a German Shepard Marine dog, It was a good read,

A buddy got me onto "The Rain Coast Chronicles" Stories and History of the BC Coast, Excellent reading, I have the first 15 stories in 3 books and there are more. I got them from Harbour Publishing a Mom Pop business on the Sunshine Coast, I think my books arrived 4 days from when I ordered
Old 09-29-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Al Voth

Al Voth has two good books that take place in Alberta about a "Gunslinger" First is "B-Zone" and then "Mandatory Reload" I found them very good.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:38 PM

Well, this needs to come back up for a bit again. I have recently read a book that I would like to promote. Full disclosure, it was written by my wife's younger sister, it is her memoir.

Exceptionally well written, and tells the story of being raised in the Mennonite tradition in Bolivia, and northern Alberta. A lot of family tragedy here, but so much courage too. I knew the story, and parts of it witnessed first hand as well. It made me feel bad for my wife, going through so much as a child and young adult, and then marrying me, as the cherry on top. Poor girl.

Anyway, it is a quite a read, and has caused a bit of a stir in the Mennonite community. She calls it like it is, but still held a lot back.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08NH7WY9P/..._YfcXFb5MSYR2X

Old 11-29-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, this needs to come back up for a bit again. I have recently read a book that I would like to promote. Full disclosure, it was written by my wife's younger sister, it is her memoir.

Exceptionally well written, and tells the story of being raised in the Mennonite tradition in Bolivia, and northern Alberta. A lot of family tragedy here, but so much courage too. I knew the story, and parts of it witnessed first hand as well. It made me feel bad for my wife, going through so much as a child and young adult, and then marrying me, as the cherry on top. Poor girl.

Anyway, it is a quite a read, and has caused a bit of a stir in the Mennonite community. She calls it like it is, but still held a lot back.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08NH7WY9P/..._YfcXFb5MSYR2X
Gotta check that out. Got a fair bit of mennonite family in south America.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
If you have any background like that, I think you will appreciate it. Having spent 30 years married into that culture, and spent some time in Bolivia, the insight and personal experience is very bold.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
I too still have some family down in Bolivia. The first wave that moved to Bolivia back in the late 60's, early 70's have mostly returned to the LaCrete area in Alberta. Some great stories.

My mother, who is German, married my Mennonite father way back when and he converted to Catholic. Neither of their families were impressed at the time but they got over it. So my mother speaks High German and my father low and me, I don't speak any German.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:53 AM

I’ll resurrect this thread. I have pounded out a few books this month. Alone Against The North was great. I’ll move in to Beyond the Trees by the same author when I can find it.
Epic Wanderer- told the story of David Thompson and his mapping of the frontier. It was amazing.
81 Days below 0- a true survival story of a ww2 pilot that crashed during training in Alaska.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:54 AM

Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine - Steven Rinella
Full of good hunting stories,with humorous turns. He really is a good writer.
Less interesting to me as he attempts to produce elegant French recipes, in less than elegant circumstances. However, the humour carries the stories along.
3.5/5 stars.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:56 AM

I hate to admit it but I've read at least half of the books listed here except for the political ones - (yes I do have a life). I agree with most of them being well worth reading more than once. I am now reading Jean Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" for the third time. I didn't like the rest of them as much because they turned into more of a love story.

Many moons ago I really enjoyed Richard Rohmer's books. He is a Canadian author who writes mostly fiction (but possible future truth) about Canadian history and world events.

"The Last American" is a short future history novel by John Ames Mitchell. It is a post-apocalyptic story - quite appropriate to the problems of today. It is an outdoor adventure type of story.

Patrick Francis McManus - I am surprised that he hasn't been mentioned here yet. He is an American humor writer, who primarily wrote about the outdoors. Each book is a series of short stories. Great reads that don't require much time.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 02-17-2021, 10:34 AM

Just finishing up the Penguin History of the Second World War. A good reminder of the complexities of the two theatres and some fairly in depth analysis of the leaders and players.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:37 AM

Pretty sure McManus has been mentioned a few times, and yes, he writes wonderful funny stuff.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:30 PM

Well, a bump for a really good book I just finished: The Parasitic Mind by Gad Saad.

An outspoken critic of political correctness and the lunacy of the Diversity, Inclusion, & Equity Cult, Prof Saad goes on an entertaining rampage and slaughters many sacred cows. Science and facts trump feelings and ideology. How refreshing.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/162157959X/...XNPBXSE4GPMZDE

Old 04-01-2021, 10:06 PM

Read "The Splendid and the Vile" by Erik Larson this winter. Story of Churchill during the Blitz. Hit home 'cause I was born over there a year later.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
The Farseer Triligy - Robb Hobb
Heart Waters, sources of the Bow River - Kevin Van Tighem
A River Neer Sleeps - Roderick L. Haig-Brown

That's a golden oldie! Two others by him in my library are "Return to the River" and "Measure of the Year".
Old 04-01-2021, 11:56 PM

Larry McMurtry passed away last week. Any reasons a good reason to re read lonesome dove
Old 04-02-2021, 06:55 AM

Paul Carter - Sheep Hunts, One Man's Journeys to the High Country.
Obviously spent a fortune on guided hunts, good but not stellar writing, shot multiple sheep with a T/C muzzle loading rifle, card covers.
About $25 plus postage online.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:33 PM

Finally got around to reading 1984.
Great book with so many similarities happening today ie ratting neighbors.
Also am listening to an excellent podcast
Dan Carlins Hardcore History
Currently going through the Assyrian empire as well as the Medes and Persians leading up to the famous battle of 300

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 04-04-2021, 09:20 PM

I highly recommend anything by Bryce Courtenay.
-The power of one ( big movie ) and Whitethorn are 2 of my favorites.

Greg Iles, the Natchez Burning Trilogy.

Danger! by Ben East. True stories about wilderness adventures, frontiers etc, compiled from Outdoor magazines - very good.

Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. I had no idea what to expect, we've had it on the shelf for years. What a great story.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:10 PM

All the works of John Bunyan.
John Bunyan.
I wonder how many AO members have read in them.
If you did, just pm me.