Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Chinchaga Bullets

Has anyone used these on game? If so how did they do, also is there any technical info on them such as details on their construction?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 PM

The guy that makes them is a member here I think it is DaleJ
Cat
Old 01-05-2014, 09:17 PM

nice guy and good products, buy before they go up

Cement Bench

(and I do not endorse very many products at all)
Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 PM

I haven't used them on game but my preliminary results on paper are pretty good.

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 AM

Default Chinchaga Bullets

I tested Dale J's Chinchaga bullets in my 7mm's last summer! The targets were some of the best groups I have ever shot with a big game rifle, however in my newspaper penetration test they came totally unglued. All I could find was the jacket. Penetration was about 16 inches. Might be OK for deer and other light game. I was hoping for a bonded version from Dale but so far no luck. Certainly a good bullet if you're just shooting groups!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Smile This is new!

I've never heard of bullets making a difference to the size of groups. These would suit me right to the ground. I mainly shoot targets.

Where do you buy them? Is there a web site?

BTW why do they work better than other bullets?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 AM

They have a rebated boat tail design that helps the BC out....contact DaleJ for more info.

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM

I hear good things about them, I've got some 235grain 30 cal that I bought from him at the Calgary gunshow a couple years back, thinking they will kill the heck out of critters, don't believe the hype they will make ungulates perfectly dead.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 PM

Default Killed it Dead

Killed an antelope buck with a .257 115gr RBT. Killed it as Dead as it gets. I dont think it could get deader... is that a word?

Complete pass-through, leg bone-ribs-heart-ribs, ~420yards or so.
I wouldnt hesitate to shoot anything smaller than an elk with the 115grainers I am using.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:42 PM

I like deader seems to be good terminology to me
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Hey DaleJ is there any chance you could make a post with pics or a video to show the different steps of bullet manufacturing? Think a lot of guys myself included would find it very interesting. Do you make your jackets in house?
Leeper
Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM

I can't help but notice that he never comments on these threads. Probably has his reasons too.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM

He likely just does't want to get into a pizzin' match with people!
When Albereta wildcats was buildng rebated boat tailed bullets bought lots of them in 210 grain for my 300WSM, and 120's, 140's and 142's for my 6.'s.
They were incredibly accurate and devestating on long range critters.

The process he used was a very common one with form des and jackets purchased from big manufacturers.
i doubt very nuch id Dale's methods are much more different than any other custum bullet maker.
It matters however, how much care you put into building a particular bullet
Cat
Old 01-07-2014, 12:22 PM

Yeah fair enough, still like to see how it's done
Leeper
Old 01-07-2014, 02:15 PM

Don't know how to respond to these posts. Didn't join to promote my bullets, joined to promote the shooting sports. You can make the best product available only to have some moron run it into the dirt. Don't buy these bullets because they come unglued in newspaper.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM

I'm not trying to take the **** out of you dale, genuinely interested. Are there any shops carrying your bullets in alberta, or can they only be purchased direct? I was told a friend of a friend of mine was doing ballistic testing with your bullets for you to figure out BCs was that true? I would imagine you have a pile of dead critters that were shot with chinchauga bullets. Don't think shooting newspaper proves much. Personally I prefer to do tests of killing potential on game. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an animal with your bullets, because the end result would be that it would die
Leeper
Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 PM

Default Wet newspaper

Check the latest ediion of the Rifle magazine gentleman! Wet newspaper is generally accepted as the poor mans test media! Many things are learned from using it. Best one uses it before the hunt!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
Check the latest ediion of the Rifle magazine gentleman! Wet newspaper is generally accepted as the poor mans test media! Many things are learned from using it. Best one uses it before the hunt!
So the bullet blew up after 16" There are many variables to this test with what buddy used to do his test to change his results. Ballistic tips and Bergers blow up to so does this mean they are garbage? I think not as they have killed many thing extremely dead. I have seen Dales bullets in action and they are great from what I saw. I can say one thing about his bullets is if you buy the ones with the aluminum tips do not stick in your pocket as you might leak a little blood yourself.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 AM

Everybody knows that you need a AP bullet to hunt modern game, a Barnes at the very least.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Everybody knows that you need a AP bullet to hunt modern game, a Barnes at the very least.
Funniest thing I herd all week.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM

Default Wet newspaper

''One of the better general mediums for evaluating high velocity rifle bullets is soaking wet newsprint''
Brian Pearce
Rifle Magazine
January 2014
Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
''One of the better general mediums for evaluating high velocity rifle bullets is soaking wet newsprint''
Brian Pearce
Rifle Magazine
January 2014
well, now we know where to turn for all our experience, will save a lot of time actually shooting game and cutting meat. lee
Old 01-09-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
well, now we know where to turn for all our experience, will save a lot of time actually shooting game and cutting meat. lee
No need to be taking a back-handed swipe at Bulletman. When I read his post, he said they were as accurate as anything he has ever shot. From reading some of his posts in the past, I recall his preference for a hunting bullet is along the lines of a Partition or Deep Curl. He never slagged Chinchaga Bullets in any way shape or form. He gave them a plug and said they would be good for deer-sized game to boot. Seems that's what about 90% of people say about Bergers too.

I know you do a lot of shooting too, as Bulletman does. But I now know for sure that he is actually getting out seeing firsthand how bullets perform in comparison to each other. In my books, that is 99% more than most of us do which is shoot an animal and then make our observations. And while wet newspaper is not a cow's femur cast in ballistic gelatin, it's more than I have ever done.

Why do we have to shoot our own? It's beyond me.

However, I apologize in advance if I have misinterpreted your post.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM

My 2 cents is if they are accurate and come unglued in the same manner as a Berger does after penetrating 3-5", then they must be a helluva hunting bullet because Bergers flat out kill animals faster than anything I have ever seen.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM

not really 'slagging'; just saying that while shooting wet newspapers will show a result; how relevant is it to the real world? even the ballistic gelatin tests show a 'result'; what does it tell us about penetration of a shoulder blade in your favorite game animal? lee
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Best of the west uses berger bullets, so they are the best bullet ever invented Hawskemaw is the best scope ever made and cooper arms is the last word in long range rifles .
Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
not really 'slagging'; just saying that while shooting wet newspapers will show a result; how relevant is it to the real world? even the ballistic gelatin tests show a 'result'; what does it tell us about penetration of a shoulder blade in your favorite game animal? lee
It still gives valid base of comparison. Is it the same as a front shoulder? Bulletman never said it was. But, you've been around long enough to know that lots of magazine writers have used this as a repeatable, objective method of comparing bullet expansion and weight retention.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Best of the west uses berger bullets, so they are the best bullet ever invented Hawskemaw is the best scope ever made and cooper arms is the last word in long range rifles .
Who gives a rat's rear end about TV shows? Not me. I'm likely to cancel my WildTV in the next month anyhow. I have commented often on my disdain of long range hunting shows like BOW because of how many animals are likely gutshot before they get their "shot". But, I have spent a considerable amount of time in the basement of a fellow member of this forum whose picture is on Berger's printed materials. He shot many, many North American animals before taking Bergers to see how they performed on African Plains Game. His PH(s), as well as the owners of the ranches, at first scoffed at him and cast him aspersive glances, until this AO member proceeded to drop one of the largest elands ever harvested on this particular ranch. Over two safaris, Berger 168 VLDs performed outstandingly on plains game, similar in size to large elk and moose, often breaking shoulders and passing right on through a number of the animals. I then watched this fellow drop whitetails where they stood. This year, I gutted a 6 point bull elk that was shot, on the full run, at just over 200 yards with a 130 grain Berger VLD out of a 260. I have also now shot 4 animals with Bergers since I switched over this year. All were DRT. I will continue to use them until I see firsthand experience of Bergers "blowing up".

BTW, if you have one of those fancy blue turreted Huskemaws, I will buy it off you for $0.25 on the dollar. The turrets will match my daughter's eyes. She'll be happy with me

Last edited by sns2; 01-09-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 PM

i prefer to make my own judgements on the quality, usefulness, and performance of any given object with hands on testing and inspection. while i do read some of the gun rags, i put as much faith in their reviews as a jug of wet gun powder. personal testimony from friends and seeing the equipment in action is where i draw my conclusions on whether or not i invest in or use a particular product.
some gun writer's review of a donated product, along side a full page ad of the product, really don't mean squat to me.
out of curiosity, how do the bergers do in the newspaper test? if they explode in the first 2", are you switching to partitions or deep curls? lee
Old 01-09-2014, 10:36 PM

a couple pics of my white tail buck this year. happened upon him while coyote hunting, probably should have had a different bullet.
75 gr vmax @3500 fps in 25 cal. over 325yds, the bullets still going.
buck took 4 quick steps, 10 slow ones, and tipped over.
does this mean my vmax will penetrate 24" of wet newspaper?
what is the acceptable penetration of newspapers?
recycled newsprint or glossy pages?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75 vmax1.JPG (146.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 75 vmax2.JPG (173.9 KB, 35 views)