Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2021, 11:56 PM

Default Covid boat pricing

Anyone sold a boat lately? Looking through the marketplace and some of the asking prices are ridiculous. Makes me kinda wonder if people are actually getting these prices.

Never thought I'd sputter the idea but makes me contemplate if it's time to sell a boat and go back to the ol tinner until things come around and go for an upgrade down the road assuming the market will improve for a buyer in the next couple of years. It's still early in the buying season and relatively there isn't a tonne of boats on the market but still curious what peoples experiences have been selling lately.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:18 AM

Dealers are selling out of new and demand is still high, so prices are up accordingly. Hard to know if they will drop or just flatten out once demand subsides.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-10-2021, 12:38 AM

I think last 2 years might be the only time that I know of where used boats have gone up in value. It’s a wild market in terms of all recreational outdoor activities. Bikes, ATVs, RVs, boats, and dirt bike prices have exploded and the supply is running low.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:26 AM

I sold my 19' Warrior with a 150 HP for very good money last spring. I am betting I could get 50% more if I was selling it this spring, just based on the prices I have been getting on some other stuff. I think this is an excellent time to be selling off any used recreational goods.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:37 AM

I recently sold my 16' Crestliner for what I paid for it in 2008. Prices are crazy.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I sold my 19' Warrior with a 150 HP for very good money last spring. I am betting I could get 50% more if I was selling it this spring, just based on the prices I have been getting on some other stuff. I think this is an excellent time to be selling off any used recreational goods.
I couldn’t agree more.

I sold off all my home gym yesterday. I easily doubled and probably tripled what I could have got a few years ago. Watching Facebook Market place and Kijiji, I was seeing people ask 3 bucks a pound for free weights. I thought it was crazy and my gear was a mixture of old and newer stuff with 3 different benches but fairly substantial at over 900lbs in total in free weights. I had a price in mind what I’d be happy taking for my whole set-up and doubled it. I placed the ads after dinner the night before last and then sat down to watch a movie with my wife. My phone immediately went crazy chirping each time I had a new message. I couldn’t keep up with answering them and started to get people mixed up. I had multiple offers and ended up selling it for what I was asking. The really crazy part was the buyer commented that they thought at first it was a scam when they saw the ad because it was too cheap. That blew my mind but from the action I was getting I’d say it wasn’t overpriced based on the inflated Covid market.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Anyone sold a boat lately? Looking through the marketplace and some of the asking prices are ridiculous. Makes me kinda wonder if people are actually getting these prices.

Never thought I'd sputter the idea but makes me contemplate if it's time to sell a boat and go back to the ol tinner until things come around and go for an upgrade down the road assuming the market will improve for a buyer in the next couple of years. It's still early in the buying season and relatively there isn't a tonne of boats on the market but still curious what peoples experiences have been selling lately.

Yep. Lookign at for sale ads and many,many things have become priced at much more than a year or two ago.

Saw an ad for an old tinner that might have gone for a couple hundred two or three years go listed at $900.

Sheesh..... I guess if folks are willing to pay.

Does seems a little ridiculous.

Used building materials have also seen a drastic increase.

Good time to sell.

Be patient and "Keep your powder dry if you want to buy"

This will settle down in a year or two.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:24 AM

Hmmm....sell now....then upgrade post Covid? Could be way to get that done. It does have me thinking. Boat and motor only have maybe 40 hours run time....
Old 04-10-2021, 10:49 AM

The mystery is if this is just a covid trend or if the people that have taken up the recreation/outdoor lifestyle stick with it. If they don't there should be a uptick in used gear for sale.

I think alot of people or going to be sticking with it. Of course I am biased by how much I love being outdoors.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:07 PM

RVs and boats sold like crazy last year and they were hard to get. My guess is people may get tired of them in a couple of years and I especially expect to a lot of used RVs for sale in a couple of years.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:42 PM

Hmm, good to know. I have a line on a dirt cheap fix-er upper that will be a pretty capable fishing machine once I go through the motor and my cabinet maker wife re-does the floor/decking. Was thinking I'd rather be fishing than working on another boat I don't need this summer, but I might have to give that guy a call back.

Plan was to pick this one up, then once fixed probably sell my current boat and keep the fix-er upper.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:31 AM

Sold my tri-toon for $5000 more than I bought it for new in 2010. Crazy!
Old 04-11-2021, 06:40 AM

Sounds like to good an opportunity to pass up and with the kids growing likely would be selling in the next few years anyway. There is somewhat of a gamble that prices will come down again but I think in the used market (where I generally live with toys) that will happen and there will still be some good deals for the patient.

Wouldn't mind seeing new prices come down as well but they have really ticked up with our slumping dollar since 2014 ish and not sure when or if they will come down.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:54 AM

I work for a marina, we are now taking orders for 2022 as supply has been bought up. used boats are selling for 80-90% of new... good news is in 3 years the bottom will fall out of the used recreational equipment market.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:01 AM

It’s hard to say if this is temporary or permanent inflation, I’m hoping it’s temporary but I’ve never had a government increase the money supply by multiples before in my lifetime.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:06 AM

This inflation is NOT temporary. All you have to do is look at countries like Venezuela, Greece, Brazil, Spain etc to see what happens when governments print way too much money and the value of their currency is greatly devalued. The only thing saving us from massive currency devaluation is every other country is printing money almost as fast as we are. If however the Liberals manage to kill off the commodities businesses, like they are trying so hard to do, you could see Canada's currency get heavily devalued as the GDP drops precipitously.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Sold my tri-toon for $5000 more than I bought it for new in 2010. Crazy!
I can sell my boat for MORE THAN I PAID FOR IT NEW and unload it quickly. I have never seen anything like this before in my life.

A co-worker made me an offer because he couldn't find one (and ordering new was months and months away) !!!

Problem is, once you sell it, and are standing there admiring yourself, now you have to go out and spend WAY MORE to replace it all over again !!!!

CRAZY
Old 04-11-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I can sell my boat for MORE THAN I PAID FOR IT NEW and unload it quickly. I have never seen anything like this before in my life.

A co-worker made me an offer because he couldn't find one (and ordering new was months and months away) !!!

Problem is, once you sell it, and are standing there admiring yourself, now you have to go out and spend WAY MORE to replace it all over again !!!!

CRAZY

I would order a new one, prices on them are still pretty good, and sell the old one now. Fish with a buddy till the new boat shows up.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

CRAZY
If you plan on replacing it, then it’s stupid, not crazy. I am looking to get out of it. I have 2 happy memories of that boat. They day I bought it and the days I sold it.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:29 PM

The biggest factor is demand. You simply can’t get a new boat, from pretty much any manufacturer, for the 2021 season.

As a result, MSRP on boats is way up, and there’s no deals to be had at the dealership on in stock boats either, more like bidding wars. That trickles down directly to the used market and drives prices sky high.

The CDN dollar is up compared to last year too, so you’re either making 10% or losing 10%, depending how you look at it.

I get offers to buy my boat weekly. For a fair bit more than I paid for it a year ago. I like the idea of selling it and pocketing a nice chunk of change, but I can’t get another one until next spring, and I hate the idea of being without a boat for an entire season. I won’t do it. Hopefully demand is still strong in the fall. I’ll put it up for sale then and order another one for spring delivery.

As a side note, I’ve been looking for a couple small dirt bikes for the kids. TTR or CRF 125s, what were $1200-1500 bikes a year ago at this time are selling fast for $3500-4500. I simply won’t pay that. Dirt bikes will have to wait a year...
Old 04-11-2021, 09:22 PM

Just to address a couple posts here, ya if you have a boat that you are happy with for the foreseeable future it would be silly to sell just to send the profit down the road on a new one. That is simple math.

I probably miss worded my original post saying I never thought I'd sputter the idea where realistically I didn't think the idea of selling would come at this point. I don't generally buy things to sell, to have the latest and greatest. I buy things to serve a purpose as long as possible. That goes for everything Hunting, Fishing, Camping etc. The boat I'm selling would probably have served it's purpose within a few years as the kids grow so seems like a no brainer to take advantage of the market judging by some of the replies.

In the end we'd still have a boat although not ideal for room but heck what better excuse to explore some of the river systems that go under utilized. Never caught a sturgeon before, covid permitting maybe a good excuse to head north and fish some places for grayling, pike and walleye that I did as a kid and maybe just maybe an inconnu. That would be just awesome.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:48 PM

Prices are definitely crazy right now. After we sell our 14' Lund, we're going to sit tight for the summer and see what prices look like next year on 18' boats...
Old 04-12-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Prices are definitely crazy right now. After we sell our 14' Lund, we're going to sit tight for the summer and see what prices look like next year on 18' boats...

Lund is hinting at an 8% increase for 2022 models.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Lund is hinting at an 8% increase for 2022 models.
Yep. Sounds about right, and a lot of 2022 boats are already spoken for.

My prediction is that it’ll be 2-3 years before prices “correct” and there’s deals to be had again. I’d be really cautious about selling unless you’re prepared to wait it out pretty long term.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Yep. Sounds about right, and a lot of 2022 boats are already spoken for.

My prediction is that it’ll be 2-3 years before prices “correct” and there’s deals to be had again. I’d be really cautious about selling unless you’re prepared to wait it out pretty long term.

Agreed!

Old 04-16-2021, 05:49 PM

Hrm... This thread has me tempted to sell my Fury... New ones with the same spec are listed north of $25k!
Old 04-17-2021, 08:12 AM

I've been hoping to pick up a12-14 foot Jon this year but so far nothing on the radar. The way the pricing has gone. I'm thinking now maybe someone who wants to hold onto theirs for profit when they eventually sell it may consider leasing it for the season so they don't have to store it plus make some money on it in the meantime. If anyone wants to consider that or has one not made of solid platinum they would sell pm me

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-19-2021, 08:48 PM

I bought a brand new 19' aluminum fishing boat w/ 150 merc in 2012. was "special" order because i switched 4 stroke to 2 (Optimax). Anyway cost was a little more than advertised but was $32,400 all in with tax, fees etc. The same model is for sale in 2021. $58,900, taxes and fees extra. Wow
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
I bought a brand new 19' aluminum fishing boat w/ 150 merc in 2012. was "special" order because i switched 4 stroke to 2 (Optimax). Anyway cost was a little more than advertised but was $32,400 all in with tax, fees etc. The same model is for sale in 2021. $58,900, taxes and fees extra. Wow
Right about then to about 2014 iirc was absolute prime time to buy a boat as the dollar was strong, still kick myself for not picking up a brand new one around then. Didn't have the spare cash for a toy but even if a fellow indulged in one of the open ended loans that are common nowadays it would have been worth it seeing how prices have gone.

On another note, funny how things go. A little over a week ago I thought I was dead set on selling a boat and as we inch closer to open water season I'm starting to fold a bit. Good time to sell on one hand, family starting to push back a bit on the other hand as the warm weather comes.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:30 PM

Default Give it time...

They say there are two exciting days when owning a boat! The day you buy it and the day you sell it! haha I give it a matter of time before the markets flooded again with boats. A lot of people do not realize the money involved in maintaining a boat.. I've heard the biggest complaint from boat shops is getting people to understand and pay a winterization fee on boat come fall... how can people finance a 100,000 dollar boat and not afford 500 - 800 dollars to put it away properly. The bubble will pop! The borders will open and Canada will clear out again... in the mean time put a chair at a boat launch and enjoy the show! going to be nuts this year!