Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2021, 10:38 AM

Default Turkey hunting in AB advice

Morning fellow AO’ers. I’m not one for asking for advice but this seems like a different chance to touch base with other hunters that might of hunted these birds.
I drew a Alberta turkey tag after applying for 16yrs. I am in search for tips on location, gear (calls & decoys) technique’s used (putting birds to bed or roost) and General geography or topography to look in. Also any recommendations on staying in SW Alberta while hunting & scouting for these birds. Feel free to post any Alberta birds as well to get me pumped up as.

This is a new Hunt to me so I am pretty excited.

Feel free to post or pm if any one wants to contribute in a different manner
Cheers
Old 03-20-2021, 04:39 PM

I see that after tracking and studying these turkeys for 16 years you've accumulated quite the wealth of knowledge on their locations and habitat
Old 03-20-2021, 04:53 PM

Without any prior calling knowledge you will want a pot call, a crow call and some other call whether diaphragm or otherwise that is good for softer clucks and yelps. Decoys are awesome, avian x jake and hen are what I use. Use the crow call to shock gobble birds in the morning and evenings to roost them then move in and set up. Full camo is a must as birds can see Color. Get out some time in April to scout when they are gobbling to locate general areas for may. If you scout in April there should be no reason you don’t put a bird down in may. They aren’t hard to hunt and are a fun hunt for sure, the late season gives you time to scout during the breeding season which is all that should be need to find birds.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:55 PM

Haven't hunted em in AB so can't help with location specific stuff but you're on the right train of thought. Putting em to bed can be helpful. If you have no idea where they are try to shock gobble em with non-turkey sounds, crow calls and the like. For calling them in once you've located them diaphragm calls are best if you don't have a dedicated caller and a shooter because you can keep your hands on your gun. In my experience they like steep country and river valleys. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I see that after tracking and studying these turkeys for 16 years you've accumulated quite the wealth of knowledge on their locations and habitat
Over 1200 posts and that’s the best reply you have
Old 03-20-2021, 08:33 PM

I’ve hunted them twice in southern Alberta, and I think our season is too late. What we get on May 1 is the second gobbling. The Toms are trying to get any hens that didn’t take. You are going to have about a week once the season opens then they wouldn’t even shock gobble. The first time there wasn’t many birds and we I was not successful. The second time the winter was crazy the amount of snow in the foothills was insane could barely walk around. Again there where less birds due to this. Best of luck, pattern your shotgun with turkey loads so you now where your shooting.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:47 PM
Banned

Don't waste your time for AB turkey, just buy yourself BC turkey licence if you really want to get one.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:10 AM

I also have a tag for May. I picked up a decoy and some calls. I practice with the diaphram call every time i get in my truck. also been watching youtube videos on how to call and hunt them

I live in Lethbridge and i'm focusing my efforts south of hwy 3. if youre from calgary or further north i'd focus on the zones in the Chain lakes area
hope this helps

M
Old 03-21-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Over 1200 posts and that’s the best reply you have
X2. Ridiculous. I would expect that fellow AO’rs would be happy to help at this time of year on a once in a lifetime tag.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-21-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
X2. Ridiculous. I would expect that fellow AO’rs would be happy to help at this time of year on a once in a lifetime tag.
I started a thread on this topic about 2 weeks ago... zero replies lol did get 1 helpful tip through a pm though...
Old 03-21-2021, 10:27 AM

In general most ab turkeys are closer to the pass and further south, I’d be focusing on zones in that area
Old 03-21-2021, 11:33 AM

Private access makes your hunt way way way easier.

Honestly you shoulda been down here last fall and met people.
90% of spots are now spoken for

There are lots of birds around the Atlas where there crown land, but there you’ll be caught between granola crunchy anti hunters and the yahoo quad crew....

Up 943... there’s birds... harder to find. Don’t wander into the fancy housing developments... they get grouchy.

Hard to get em up the Adenac... as they really like to hanger by housing developments.

Pm me and I’ll try to put you on to some.
It’s fun locating birds I do it all the time

Big hairy Ukrainian running trails gobbling loudly.....

Lots up in the Porkies
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-21-2021, 05:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. Gonna be a great first AB turkey experience
Old 03-23-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Private access makes your hunt way way way easier.

Honestly you shoulda been down here last fall and met people.
90% of spots are now spoken for

There are lots of birds around the Atlas where there crown land, but there you’ll be caught between granola crunchy anti hunters and the yahoo quad crew....

Up 943... there’s birds... harder to find. Don’t wander into the fancy housing developments... they get grouchy.

Hard to get em up the Adenac... as they really like to hanger by housing developments.

Pm me and I’ll try to put you on to some.
It’s fun locating birds I do it all the time

Big hairy Ukrainian running trails gobbling loudly.....

Lots up in the Porkies
The first time i was drawn i went into the porcupine Hills and got skunked. The only ones we saw were wild ones hanging around some penned Tame Merriams. This also was across into a WMU at the time was off limits.

The last two guys i helped, well the first one never even returned thanks, The second guy i finally tracked down after 2 years to get my maps back and contact list. They also never went until the very end of the season which is way to late and came home empty handed.

The best advice is to go down Now and knock on doors and put some miles in scouting . The regs let you know what WMU's are open hunt there.

This is no different than hunting any other new area in pursuit of other game.

Lots of People like Bessiedog are willing to help but the hunter needs to put the original effort in as well.

Good Luck to all those tag holders this Spring.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:58 PM

Too funny!!!

I had a guy from here I helped keep my dang map too!

The REAL turn off is .... not even a phone call thanks from guys I show where to hunt or fish.

Entitled I guess .....
Old 03-23-2021, 05:09 PM

I definitely appreciate you guys helping fellow hunters out I never turn down anyone when I get messages about hunting information. I sure hope after 12 years I’ll actually be able to look for information about chasing these big birds. Good luck to all the lucky tag holders I hope you all hunt hard and tag out.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Too funny!!!

I had a guy from here I helped keep my dang map too!

The REAL turn off is .... not even a phone call thanks from guys I show where to hunt or fish.

Entitled I guess .....
Yes Exactly, Same here got the Info , got the directions and never to be heard of again..Not even a Thank You afterwards.
But we can't judge everyone the same. I have helped others and became lifelong friends.
I will be Chasing BC Toms this year Bessiedog , How about you.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:54 PM

If a friend of mine who’s got access to a great area comes through, my son and I will be in BC chasin toms as well.

Here’s hoping...
Old 03-26-2021, 09:30 AM

BC for me as well this year, hoping to make it 3 years in a row I bag a Tom my first day... well now I jinxed it lol
Old 03-26-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
X3 , The guy simply asking for a bit of help. No need to insult the man.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:37 PM

Smile Alberta Turkey Hunting

I've chased the "King of Gamebirds" for 22 years now and will offer some advice. I really want the first-time turkey hunters (and especially first time youth hunters), to have a good chance of at least seeing a turkey. The other AO members who have commented, have provided good advice that one needs to do some scouting and seeking permission on private lands. Patterning of one's shotgun is CRITICAL as most successful turkey hunters only get 1 chance and you have to make it count. I have never witnessed anybody recovering a wounded turkey, so a wounded turkey is a wasted bird!

The good news is that turkey numbers have been improving over the past few years due to mild winters and favorable nesting conditions. The bad news is: unfortunately, many of the public and forestry land populations have been severely reduced or eliminated due to a few severe back-to-back winters 4 or 5 years ago and they really haven't recovered, as far as I know. Anyhow, there's lots more to talk about and I would be happy to offer further advice.
GOBBLER FANATIC
Old 04-11-2021, 10:16 AM

Some good advise been offered. Mine is stay away from the Porcupines go to Lumbrek Falls and start your hunt in that area.

Talk to the land owners most are real decent people.

Locate the birds just at sundown. Stay up high if you can and use a gobble shaker call. You just shake it in a downward motion to generate the gobble and if a tom is close he will respond instantly. don't over do it if you get a response. Just try and figure out where he was,-. Next morning move in while still dark and just before sun rise give a shock call. (crow or owl) He should respond. Now move in quietly and as close as you can but remember they can see very well.

Give a few quiet hen calls if he responds then quiet down otherwise he will stay on the roost figuring you will walk on over and all he has to do is fly down and have his way with the hen. LOL

GOOD LUCK You are about to depart on my favorite of all hunts. And before it is over you will have learned the meaning of the term TOM FOOLERY
Old 04-15-2021, 11:26 AM

double post
Old 04-15-2021, 11:26 AM

Some peoples children lol I can't believe folks would get help from someone and not return their property and not have the decency to thank those that helped. In AB we are blessed with a wide variety of opportunities to hunt many species. I have been fortunate enough to either hunt or be on the hunt with almost every species we have in this province. I started putting in for the turkey 12 years ago thinking one day I think that would be a cool hunt, I've been south a few years ago to fill my antelope draw which was great change for me(I did lots of prep work for that one) and was north on the bison hunt. We helped so many people on the bison hunt and I wasn't even a local and took us 3 trips to succeed even when others were successful the day after we left each time in the exact spot we were. Anyway I drew my turkey tag for this spring and living so far away sure makes scouting harder especially during these covid times. I have got some help from a couple guys on here and thank god I do because without them id be totally blind. Now it may be a wasted unsuccessful trip but it will be new country and a new adventure I don't want to sit back and let it go to waste. I understand where guys are getting tired of the I didn't do any homework so please give me your spot guys but sometimes it really is difficult to really scout properly so I for one really appreciate the help from good folks from this form. Good news for me is I own turkeys so if my trip goes empty handed I'll come home and take it out on a Tom lol jk
Old 04-17-2021, 09:18 AM

Gobblers hangin around Lee Lake yesterday.

They’re walkin the power line by Allison.

Nothin around west Bellevue yet.....
Old 04-18-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Morning fellow AO’ers. I’m not one for asking for advice but this seems like a different chance to touch base with other hunters that might of hunted these birds.
I drew a Alberta turkey tag after applying for 16yrs. I am in search for tips on location, gear (calls & decoys) technique’s used (putting birds to bed or roost) and General geography or topography to look in. Also any recommendations on staying in SW Alberta while hunting & scouting for these birds. Feel free to post any Alberta birds as well to get me pumped up as.

This is a new Hunt to me so I am pretty excited.

Feel free to post or pm if any one wants to contribute in a different manner
Cheers

Shoot me a text! I have helped a few friends out for locations
Old 04-23-2021, 11:04 AM

I work in the area from time to time.
Quite often I see birds.

If I see some in a huntable spot, I’ll send you a PM with the details.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-23-2021, 12:49 PM

one super horned up single tom puffed and stupiding right at the hwy3 junction this AM.

He gobbled at our truck horn....
Old 04-23-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
one super horned up single tom puffed and stupiding right at the hwy3 junction this AM.

He gobbled at our truck horn....
Show him your shiny left one next time and he'll jump in with you
Old 04-23-2021, 04:47 PM

May 1st is almost here! can't wait to get out there on this once in an Alberta lifetime hunt (for me at least)... I'll be out looking for birds again next week. good luck to everyone with a tag!

M