Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2021, 11:36 PM

Default Same Pike stayed in the area for 4 hours

When we are out ice fishing I setup the underwater camera in several places during the day. I thought it was pretty interesting to see this same pike stay in the area for 4 hours and only move about 200 feet.

We never ended up catching the fish but have the video to show it was the same Pike.

https://youtu.be/ieEst3U8Tko

Old 04-07-2021, 09:33 AM

good ol' keho lake. i was out there once this winter but had no luck, though i have caught pike there in the summer before. i had that same problem where i kept hitting mud even though i though i was far enough out, and it really sucks doing that a few times in a row with a manual auger lol.

that makes sense about the pike hanging out in the same area, i've heard that in winter they try to conserve energy and are less active. its good to see the kids out and having fun even though you didn't catch anything that day too
Old 04-07-2021, 11:14 AM

also, a funny story about keho. i knew a guy that moved here from pei a long time ago, and he always heard people talking about keho lake. one day he finally said, 'ok is there seriously a lake named peehole?' we had to explain to him it was spelled keho, and not peehole lol.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:25 PM

I've seen pike stay in a relatively confined area for days. Near my house there are a couple prime post-spawn areas. On several occasions I've caught the same fish, in nearly the same spot, a number of times throughout the course of a week (can tell because of the size, and the hook damage in their mouths) to the point where I quit fishing the spot just cause it feels a bit mean to risk more damage.

A few years back there was a pike in the 38-39" range hanging out among some rock bars just out front of my house. She had distinctive scars on her back, probably from a failed eagle attack when she was smaller. I ended up catching her 3 times (not intentionally after the first time) over the course of about a week, and then gave her some space to avoid catching her again, unfortunately my neighbor caught the same fish and killed it about a week later, all in an area of about a half acre.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-09-2021 at 01:34 PM.