Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
i prefer to make my own judgements on the quality, usefulness, and performance of any given object with hands on testing and inspection. while i do read some of the gun rags, i put as much faith in their reviews as a jug of wet gun powder. personal testimony from friends and seeing the equipment in action is where i draw my conclusions on whether or not i invest in or use a particular product.
some gun writer's review of a donated product, along side a full page ad of the product, really don't mean squat to me.
out of curiosity, how do the bergers do in the newspaper test? if they explode in the first 2", are you switching to partitions or deep curls? lee
I am guessing they do about the same as Chinchagas, Matchkings, Amax etc...

I have seen tests of Bergers that show they do penetrate 3-5" before going to shrapnel. Do Chinchagas do the same? If they do, I want to buy some fast.

But you know, it all comes down to this. If you put a bullet in the boiler room, the rapidly expanding bullet is what you want. If you put it in the front shoulder, you'd be best served with a monometal. If you want to shoot one in the arse because you get so excited you can't control yourself, avoid Bergers, Ballistic Tips etc..

I'm an unabashed meat hunter. I shoot for the boiler room. If I don't have that shot, I usually don't shoot.

To each his own.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM

I have some 135gr .264 Chinchaga bullets I intent to shoot paper with but would also like to try on a deer at some point.

LC
Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have some 135gr .264 Chinchaga bullets I intent to shoot paper with but would also like to try on a deer at some point.

LC
I'd like to get some of those for my 6.5X47 - when it gets finished!
And believe me when I tell you those bullets will be shot at critters!
Cat
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM

your last post sums it up nicely sns, not much else to say!!
i've only shot one animal with a chinchaga, mule doe a long ways away with a .243 and 100gr.
tipped over just like all the other critters i managed to shoot in the right spot; just like every other bullet has.
put the wrong bullet in the wrong place, and you'll be on AO whinin and crying about a bullet failure.
heck, i saw a thread this year with a pick of a dead animal with one shot and the guy was choked about his bullet performance! no pleasing some i guess,lee
Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
your last post sums it up nicely sns, not much else to say!!
i've only shot one animal with a chinchaga, mule doe a long ways away with a .243 and 100gr.
tipped over just like all the other critters i managed to shoot in the right spot; just like every other bullet has.
put the wrong bullet in the wrong place, and you'll be on AO whinin and crying about a bullet failure.
heck, i saw a thread this year with a pick of a dead animal with one shot and the guy was choked about his bullet performance! no pleasing some i guess,lee
Exactly, Lee! Dead is dead. What's to complain about? Especially when the experimenting, and the odd debate, can be so much fun.

I wish Dale were a little more of a promoter because I'd also like to give his handiwork a try. And like most of us, I've tried just about everything else
Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

LC
Let us know how the phonebook donair meat turns out Ok! humour intended of course.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Let us know how the phonebook donair meat turns out Ok! humour intended of course.
Lol that recipe is too good to pepper with lead!

LC
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lol that recipe is too good to pepper with lead!

LC
I am thawing 7.5 lbs of trim as we speak Kris. Having seen your pics, I am stoked about cooking it on saturday. So much so that I will miss the Thorncliff gun show. Sorry for the slight derail, now back to the regularly scheduled program
Old 04-06-2021, 10:51 AM

Reviving this old thread.
I have shot the 6.5/140 Chinchagas with great success in a number of rifles as have some friends. A few had some difficulty getting them too shoot inn their rifles for some reason however, but then some guys have issues with a particular bullet inn individual guns at times, I know I have.
However, I just got two boxes of 155 .30's to try out in my 308 match rifle and am really looking forward to the test.
Here is one next to a 155 ELDM Hornady and a 168 Amax.
The Chinchaga is long for its mass.

Cat